mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Empire Vision System Goggles

I'm surprised I haven't seen it here yet but, I stumbled across the following while perusing CES stuff:

Empire posted this in their CES section:
Quote:
Empire Paintball is proud to announce the collaboration of smart eyewear technology from Recon Instruments with our industry-leading protective goggle. A new app from Empire adapts the Recon SNOW2 heads-up display for use on the paintball field, allowing real-time information and phone connectivity that provides our paintball players with a technological advantage over the rest of the field.

The Field Map portion of the Empire App will show real-time locations of you and your friends on the paintball field when used in conjunction with the Recon Engage App. The map is interactive, allowing you to zoom over Points of Interest and help navigate you or others to selected waypoints, shown in real-time. Never lose your teammates when in the heat of battle.

“We at Empire are excited to partner with Recon Instruments and Intel to offer the latest technology in the sport of paintball. Our premiere paintball goggle is enhanced by the technology provided by Recon to offer a unique player experience unrivaled in our industry.” Louie Spicer – Chief Technology Officer, Empire Paintball.
Recon Instruments (developers of the electronics and software) had the following posted:

Quote:
Vancouver, Canada – January 6, 2016 – Recon Instruments, an Intel company, has partnered with Empire Paintball to introduce the Empire EVS, the world’s first smart paintball mask.

The Empire EVS combines a cutting-edge paintball mask design with an integrated Recon Snow2 heads-up display, enabling the delivery of critical, real-time information like ammunition counts, field maps, and teammate locations on a display positioned just below the wearer’s right eye. Armed with instant access to these valuable tactical cues, paintballers can enjoy a degree of situational awareness and squad effectiveness previously possible only in video-game experiences.

The Recon Snow2 heads-up display is positioned in the bottom-right of the Empire EVS mask frame. Unobtrusive yet effortlessly accessible, Snow2’s high-contrast LCD screen appears as a 14” image viewed from 5 ft away, allowing users to glance at it without re-focusing their eyes. Powering Snow2 are a 1GHz dual-core processor, an Android-based operating system, a nine-axis sensor suite, and Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, and GPS connectivity.

The Empire EVS smart paintball mask also features a state-of-the-art, ASTM-approved mask design. Its dual-pane lens system, which is both scratch-resistant and anti-reflective, also blocks 100% of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and prevents internal fogging. The mask’s flexible, co-injection molded lower skirt encourages ball bounces, and its thermo-formed ear cover enables both maximum comfort and excellent hearing.

“The Empire EVS showcases the versatility of Recon heads-up display technology,” said Tom Fowler, Director of Sales and Marketing, Head Worn Devices, Intel. “Through our collaboration with Empire, which involved the development of paintball-specific software for Snow2’s Android-based operating system, we were able to bring the benefits of instant, direct-to-eye information delivery to an entirely new group of customers. Our open software development kit (SDK) allows any third-party developer to extend the capabilities of Recon devices in this manner.”

“Empire Paintball was thrilled to collaborate with Recon on the development of wearable technology specifically adapted to the sport of paintball,” said Louie Spicer, Chief Technology Officer, G.I. Sportz. “Recon has proven the robustness and user-friendliness of its Snow2 heads-up display platform. With Recon’s help, we were able to extend Snow2’s functionality to enhance the paintball player’s experience in a substantial way.”

The Empire EVS is being demoed in Intel’s booth at the Consumer Electronics Show this week (LVCC, Central Hall – 7252). For more information, visit Smart eyewear with heads-up display for sports | Recon Instruments and Empire Paintball.

Wow- I'm really surprised by this. Just when I thought paintball was being left behind by the tech sector...

I'm curious as to where the maps will come from.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

What's next? Fly a drone from your house and not even bother suiting up and actually playing?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Personally, for rec-ball this makes next to zero sense (given the limited sizes of fields and GPS inaccuracy). For scenarios, this could be very helpful, particularly in densely vegetated environments.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Seems cool I guess. Not needed, but how much crap does each of us own that we don't actually need.

I don't really think this will take off, but it is cool to see something new in paintball rather than a few ounces taken off last years model.

I would imagine that won't be exactly cheap...I'd hate to be the one to take a hot shot in the mask or trip and break that fancy toy.
Current Collection: Azodin KP3 - GOG Enmey - AGD ULE Mag - Bob Long Defiant - Empire Axe - AM-P Illusion - Tippmann 68 Carbine - Tippmann SL 68 II - ICD Promaster - Tippmann 98 Custom (x2) - Smart Parts Ion (x2) - System X Type X
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

-"Turn right at next tree and travel 1/4 mile toward black netting to destination."

-"Warning: Route changes due to construction at hyperball field."

-"recalculating...recalculating...recalculating..."

[insert MArtoon here]
Old 01-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

so manny more posibilities.

The display could be linked to a camera on the gun. This would allow for better sighting on something like a paintball bow where you can't sight in like a normal bow because of the mask. Or it could be used for around the corner shots. The camera could be on top of your helmet so you could cover your own 6 or that blind spot you always get nailed from. Link it to a FLIR One and see things in thermal like in the predator movies. Have it linked to a camera on your teammate and see what he sees. Or yes a drone.

The ideal of knowing where all your teammates are is cool and knowing when they are eliminated is cool as well. This is the HUD display in every 1st person shooter video game now in your mask.

Like it or not more and more tech in coming into our sport. Just look at how our paintball guns and hopers have evolved in the last 20 years.

YouTube has a link to a CES viewer that retails for around $145 so this could be seen as an option in other mask in the near future.

I'm a stock class player (12 grams and 10round feed tubes) but this tech still seams cool. IMHO It could help get my son off the X-Box and onto the field.
newmaticarsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sucker for the big kill

Its nice, but I doubt anyone is going to spend the extra $$$ for it.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Wasn't someone here working on this long before Empire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addict.

CCM Fan
Price will drive it into the dirt. Not to mention the app will probably suck, as they always do.

What happens when 2 pro teams that are sponsored by empire play against each other? And they thought sideline coaching was a problem, this thing shows exactly where people are

Feedback Please!
MEDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen View Post
...I would imagine that won't be exactly cheap...I'd hate to be the one to take a hot shot in the mask or trip and break that fancy toy.
I'm sure it won't be cheap either. On the other hand, given that all of the electronics are behind the frame of the mask, I'd argue two things:

1. The electronics are protected in that how many times have had new-ish goggle frames or lenses for that matter, have a shot of any sort penetrate them, or break when someone falls? Old goggles where the plastic/rubber has aged to the point of brittleness yes but, I've not heard of a reputable goggle maker's goggle not holding up to even point blank hot shots. Hell, I've got some JT Proteus' that I'm sure will handle point blanks shots and, they're going on 11yrs old now (granted I don't use them much, and I've replaced the lenses).

2. If you have a shot penetrate your mask (or more specifically the goggle frame area), you've got bigger problems than some damaged electronics- you may very well be blinded in an eye.

From my perspective, the biggest risks to this product are:

It's utility- Not very useful for most walk-on events (unless parks start trending to larger fields and longer time spans) and can it do more than basic navigation wherever I go?

Maintenance- How easy will it be to give the mask a thorough cleaning (i.e. after a day of play)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmaticarsenal View Post
The display could be linked to a camera on the gun. This would allow for better sighting on something like a paintball bow where you can't sight in like a normal bow because of the mask. Or it could be used for around the corner shots. The camera could be on top of your helmet so you could cover your own 6 or that blind spot you always get nailed from. Link it to a FLIR One and see things in thermal like in the predator movies. Have it linked to a camera on your teammate and see what he sees. Or yes a drone.

The ideal of knowing where all your teammates are is cool and knowing when they are eliminated is cool as well. This is the HUD display in every 1st person shooter video game now in your mask.

Like it or not more and more tech in coming into our sport. Just look at how our paintball guns and hopers have evolved in the last 20 years.

YouTube has a link to a CES viewer that retails for around $145 so this could be seen as an option in other mask in the near future.

I'm a stock class player (12 grams and 10round feed tubes) but this tech still seams cool. IMHO It could help get my son off the X-Box and onto the field.
Actually, I have a much more cynical view of tech in paintball. We were stuck shooting the same, poor performing projectile for over 30yrs, radios are still seen with disdain, and even though the tech supports otherwise, the vast majority of paintball guns are designed for top-mounted loaders.

That being said, I also see the potential for a helmet mounted display much as you suggested.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News