mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 07-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
It alleges breach of Trade Dress. Style, cosmetics. Carters and Phantoms and Ghosts are not carbon copies of each others' aesthetic. This Code gun looks like some designer plopped a Mini down on a piece of draft paper and drew an outline

...except it's 2017, so he probably laser scanned it, but you get my point
It's probably made in the same factory.

They didn't laser scan it. The trigger would have been part of the grip frame and the reg. adjuster wouldn't turn. I saw the results of a laser scan and copy recently. We received a solid piece of steel in the shape od a hydraulic motor. Laughed my *** off
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Pointlessly feeding the lawyers is stupid.

Valken is more than capable of making things *look* different enough to avoid these types of lawsuits, even if they copy the operating system. :/

Ty
You'll probably be amused to find the operating system is actually not even remotely the same, the code is much more like an Ion than a mini.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
You'll probably be amused to find the operating system is actually not even remotely the same, the code is much more like an Ion than a mini.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info...

So that means Valken not only made the Code look like a Mini, but work like an Ion... ripping off everyone in sight :/

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685 (As I no longer have access to the machine to make certain sizes, I will not be replacing any which go out of stock.)

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

I would imagine at this point that it's fairly difficult to come up with a unique operating system that works well from a reliability and functionality standpoint.

To me, the ergonomics look terrible, and I'm not a fan of proprietary regs that can't be swapped out without a ton of work... if this is a market Valken wants to go after, I say go for it. Minis aren't a huge seller anymore, at least around here - does GI really think they're going to lose market share?
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:

So that means Valken not only made the Code look like a Mini, but work like an Ion... ripping off everyone in sight :/

Ty
I'd say the valve is actually closer to a freestyle 7. Lots of companies use air sear markers and if you're really going to talk about that specific arrangement then it's a whole different can of worms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I would imagine at this point that it's fairly difficult to come up with a unique operating system that works well from a reliability and functionality standpoint.
It's not necessarily difficult, but it is costly. My friend Ryan (lurker) can provide plenty of insight into that one. I actually design paintball guns and have a stack of designs or variations that just need money... And yes, I actually it for a living.

The funny part about the code is that design was offered to multiple companies and probably even GI as well. The company that makes it supplies several paintball companies, including GI. In other words, valken rebrands the code exactly like they did the aura/ proton.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Professional Walk-On

I'll just stick to custom builds 'n frankenguns

MCB +41/-0
PBN +48/-0
eBay +415/-0

iamthelazerviking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:

Ty
How many guns out there use essentially the ion valvetrain? Which is basically the same concept dating back to the mag where the forward movement of the bolt dumps an air chamber.

Do any of the similar ion designs still have to pay royalty to GI (who ended up owning the Smart Parts intellectual property)?

I would think since Gino has gone after so many other people's products for infringing on Kee intellectual property he'd at least be able to create knockoff markers without being sued.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Not sure if it's been covered, but the lawsuit isn't about the operating system.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

so in other words if looks like it but some parts not same size and other parts the want sue them for it. so some parts small in size or some what same shape as other one. they want to sue for it. we do not need this. since more company's we lose hard it going to keep cost down to buy stuff or get new stuff out to compete against other company's
Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
I definitely would not have guessed that.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News