mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 11-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Valken "Low Impact" barrels. Knock 120 fps off of a rental gun instantly?

Dig this new barrel system from Valken:

If I understand this correctly, these are barrels designed to be purposefully inefficient, dropping a gun's velocity by 100fps or more. This is apparently being offered as an alternative to adjusting/chronographing guns down to super-low velocities for rental groups of young players, which I wasn't even aware was a common practice. I suppose the idea is that a field owner would put one of these special barrels on a gun, assume it has dropped the velocity as advertised, and not re-chrono before issuing it to children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAE3f-MtDkA
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
We've turned regular markers down to about 170-180 when people invite too many to low impact parties. Works out surprisingly well, but it's very time consuming to do so. We had to turn down 17 one day because they invited way too many kids under the age of 11 (the limit of players for low impact is 12 and we have 15 .50 markers. they were informed of this before hand) I would love to try these out at some point for ease of use though
Check Six Paintball Team
Ankle Busters Paintball
http://www.checksixpaintball.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/DeathKlownGaming
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

At the field where I work/play we have .50 for low impact as well as running 68 cal at 240 FPS so that one can play against renters. Works quite well
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Very interesting. Maybe my boss will pick some up.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I suppose the idea is that a field owner would put one of these special barrels on a gun, assume it has dropped the velocity as advertised, and not re-chrono before issuing it to children.
Most I would assume would still rechrono (just in case), but the object is to make that easier. Many guns simply won't turn down that low with out modification, and it's easier to swap barrels than to swap main springs. Plus, if you happen to have a gun that can be turned down that low and you hand it to a renter, there's a chance he might go and turn it up himself. So if the new barrel means it not maxed out near the desired limit all the better.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

sometimes you need to think outside of the box to come up with something truly innovative to solve a problem.
it is even more rare to have that innovation be something simple and inexpensive.

Valken has done both and knocked it out of the park.

Look there has been lots of talk (alot very heated) on how to achieve "low impact" (latest term for low velocity) in paintball to entice new younger players.

Up to now the only two alternatives were to turn down the velocity of rentals or the much more pushed .50 cal.

The later involves carrying two different types of guns, hoppers, and paintballs.
All of it in realistic terms is more cost with items that may or may not be used enough to justify it.

Valken has given a very cheap and effective (knowing their products) way to accomplish a low velocity alternative.

think about it...a field can buy a bunch of these barrels (given that they should be low cost and valken is known for having good prices) , have them in a box taking up little space, set up their rentals before opening (including preliminary velocity setup), and if a need comes for low velocity just put on one of these barrels and vola ready to go (of course a quick velocity check for safety) .

simple , cheap, easy peasy with no need to carry an entirely different gun, equipment, ect.

If I may be so bold a true game changer.

Pardon me for stirring the pot/kicking a hornets nest but I suspect this will get backlash for all those pushing .50 cal.

Scrounger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

+1 for most of what scrounger said. I hope this takes off.
I also wonder if a typical barrel bag will fit.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Seems like a funny practical joke to play on a friend. Put this barrel on and ask him to chrono your gun. Might piss them off for a few minutes.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I actual think this is an awsome product especially if say a kid goes and plays .50 cal and really likes it wants their own gear but didn’t want to make the leap to .68 yet. They can pick up an normal marker and hopper like and ego or whatever and slap one of these on it then when they make the leap to .68 they won’t need to buy a whole new set up.
I like it
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lockdown Scenarios

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Lead View Post
At the field where I work/play we have .50 for low impact as well as running 68 cal at 240 FPS so that one can play against renters. Works quite well
Switching barrels would make it a lot easier to accommodate both medium impact and normal players than having to maintain 2 sets of .68 markers at different velocities or constantly switching back and forth.
the stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News