mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Why they tell you not to chamber a round until its time to fire.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/conte...ter_death.html

Yup, sad but dumb. You dont chamber a round before you are ready to fire that round. Second basic rule of gun safety is not to rely on the safety either. (first being to verifiy that its unloaded when handed to you) So not only did the kid have a round chambered, he had the safety off. Ironic part is that about 1/3 of the question on the Hunters safety test here in Colorado (which out of staters are required to take (once) same as residents) deal with not having a round in the chamber and not to rely on the safety. Yes its sad, it truly is, I mean it was the kids father, but dumb and avoidable.

What you should get out of it:

1. Dont chamber a round until you are ready to fire it
2. Dont rely on the safety switch.

Then theres the issue of "is a gun(namely a revolver) loaded if you can pull the trigger (one or more times)and it fires, IMHO YES. WHich is why I dislike revolvers(or double action guns of any kind), but thats another subject.

Be safe

Al
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
CHEERS!

7mm Magnum = BIG BOOM.

That is all.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Yeah there good guns, my dad has one, kicks pretty good but darn goos shotin, anyway thats way OT so I'll stop before I get everyone OT.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Shoots First

when i got my concealed carry permit, the officer in charge of the class told us to always carry with a round chambered... to not do so would be like buying a six pack and pouring the fist beer out.

redthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
in ever saftey breifing (paintball or firearm) I have given, I tell everyone straight out, THE only saftey you can rely on is 3 feet above your ***.

Poor kid will have that guilt hanging the rest of his life, over an accident.

Now it did say he just spotted a dear, and he must have not removed the round from the chamber. Sad story all around
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Poor kid will have that guilt hanging the rest of his life, over an accident.
It said he was 44, but around here at least, he just may be considered a kid anyway.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
my bad... still..
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Sad story. A similar thing happened to a father/son hunting combo in a neighboring town a few years ago. They were out hunting and somehow ended up on opposite sides of a clearing, the father shot at a deer in the clearing and the bullet ended up missing the deer but hit and killed his son instead.
http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermai...24/011117.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthirst View Post
when i got my concealed carry permit, the officer in charge of the class told us to always carry with a round chambered... to not do so would be like buying a six pack and pouring the fist beer out.
This is true for concealed carry where the gun is going to be kept secure in a holster of some sort, but while out hunting its safest to only chamber a round when you are ready to take a shot (or in imminent danger from big game). Many bolt action rifle safeties are pretty crude (especially older rifles) lots of them are just trigger blocks that may still allow the rifle to fire if dropped or if the safety mechanism is worn.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Last edited by PolarMonkey; 10-27-2006 at 07:17 AM.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
That's awful.

I've given a lot of state-required safety courses at our club and ALWAYS harp on that point. My biggest selling point has always been "think of how it would feel to accidentally kill a friend". I always found it to be much more effective than "because it's safer".

Admittedly, most hunters are unwilling to risk spooking a deer by chambering their round at the last minute, but that's where the maturity and wisdom of the individual comes into play.

REDTHIRST, that's a very valid argument for a concealed carry. We always wore our sidearms w/ a round chambered. BUT, that's a very different reason to be carrying a firearm. If being bum-rushed by a herd of angry deer was a possible hunting risk, then maybe hunters should re-consider their safety-vs-tactical choices.

I confess that very early in my shooting career I did accidentally discharge a pistol. Thank Christ nobody was hurt, and to this day, even THINKING about the event shoots a chill up my spine. I can't even begin to imagine what this kid is feeling.

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Where the hell was his barrel plug!?! Oh wait real guns...

I was taught in hunters safety to have round chambered, safety on and always have the weapon in hand pointed in a safe direction. As a matter of fact I seem to remember our instructors MADE us take the slings off our rifles before our trip.

I do understand the arguement though.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News