mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
So now I can pay $40 for a CO2 tank that who knows who will actually hydro test and replace all of my $5 9oz's that are good forever? Yay!
Says on their site that they do have 9oz tanks like this too....

I don't understand why they would design new CO2 tanks now. Aren't most fields switching over to filling HPA only? At least my local field has.

http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/paintball/index.html

I'll add my Feedback here, because I always forget to ask.
My super awesome feedback of... awesomeness!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
There's a bigger market than just paintball guns. There is an entire line of tools that run off of C02, and knowing how much C02 you have in a tank might make it a bit of a better sell for the average home owner or job site person.
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

I like the bonnet valve to prevent turning a CO2 tank into a CO2 missile. Looks like JT saw the tragedies of the past and resolved them with that. I guess the burst disk needed to be below the internal valve, so they had to move it. Will this come with an anti-siphon too?

I think JT dropped the ball though on the burst disc. I wish they just made a relief valve instead. Because not only do you loose all the CO2, you have to replace the burst disc too. Just vent the pressure down is better than dumping everything.

The fill indicator seems snazzy enough. It's not so much how much fill a player has left, but did the employees fill the tank up. The only thing I don't know about is that a sticker attached to the tank? Hopefully it's wear resistant.

Unfortunately most paintball parks only refill HPA around me. They don't want to mess with bulk CO2 rentals anymore.
Anonymous Coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Tesko Send a message via MSN to Tesko

This is pretty cool, I mean when was the last time there was truly an innovation concerning Co2 tanks?

For everything Cocker & Sniper Related and then some - Custom Cockers
Tesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can't we just install a pressure gauge on the ASA and be done, not to mention having a gauge for all tanks, cheap and easy.

Seems very gimmicky, if you're a regular player, you pretty much know what kind of shot counts you should get. I'd just rather see better Co2 fill training at the fields. Perhaps just bring a kitchen scale and check your weights post filling.

Now if only someone will come up with a neat way to tell me if the beer is cold....oh wait I forgot I already have one, MY HAND!!

Mini collection
Old School VM68 Mag with PPS Stab, dual bottle (rear and slant. Ported valve and Starfire Bolt (alum), tweaked springs & Lapco Cocker adapter.
Pneumatic Design Storm Oddball marker but fairly accurate.
Phantom 6",11 & 14"" DanW .45 Grips SC hori feed now VSC, Shoed up.
PGP Blinging, Classic AutoMag (mini) "Tactical" custom,
Trracer Rifle in the works, 2k+VF WGP cocker, 2 Trilly Pump "Sniper" conversions, 3 Trracers
Sgt Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Hollywood View Post
Can't we just install a pressure gauge on the ASA and be done, not to mention having a gauge for all tanks, cheap and easy.

Seems very gimmicky, if you're a regular player, you pretty much know what kind of shot counts you should get. I'd just rather see better Co2 fill training at the fields. Perhaps just bring a kitchen scale and check your weights post filling.

Now if only someone will come up with a neat way to tell me if the beer is cold....oh wait I forgot I already have one, MY HAND!!
A pressure gauge for a Co2 tank doesnt work in the same way. Co2 will maintain a certain pressure (based on temperatures) and will run out without warning based on a gauge. You have to go by weight or volume. And younger kids will be able to tell easier if they need a fill or not. When I filled tanks at a field, so many kids came up and wanted their 20oz tank filled and it was still 2/3 or 3/4 full! A visual aid will help them immensely.

Remember also that the paintball market is dominated by rec players that play outlaw or 2-3 times a year. They also buy theior gear at Wally world or other sporting goods store. So things like this help the average player more than it would help you and I.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Uh, and just what exactly is that pressure gauge on the ASA going to do in this context?

This is a good idea for the larger tank sizes, say above 12oz, where you are likely to go out and not use your entire capacity (say it was a quick game), but may or may not still have enough left for another game. How do you know? Well, you could take the tank off and weigh it, and assuming you memorized the tank's empty weight, that would do it. But this would make it easier. Less equipment to bring out to the field. I do try to bring a scale with me out to the field, and I can tell you this: it sucks having to bring a scale with me out to the field.

The other way might be to memorize your shot capacity and then count your shots... but that's neither fun nor accurate since various factors will change your shot capacity.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
Uh, and just what exactly is that pressure gauge on the ASA going to do in this context?
It's so you get to see that drop from good operating pressure (with liquid in tank) to just gas. Kinda like when the fuel gauge drops way past empty in the movies...

It just feels like it one more corporate move to create a new reason to buy a new product. It's not like this is new technology.

Mini collection
Old School VM68 Mag with PPS Stab, dual bottle (rear and slant. Ported valve and Starfire Bolt (alum), tweaked springs & Lapco Cocker adapter.
Pneumatic Design Storm Oddball marker but fairly accurate.
Phantom 6",11 & 14"" DanW .45 Grips SC hori feed now VSC, Shoed up.
PGP Blinging, Classic AutoMag (mini) "Tactical" custom,
Trracer Rifle in the works, 2k+VF WGP cocker, 2 Trilly Pump "Sniper" conversions, 3 Trracers
Sgt Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
... It's not like this is new technology.
It may not be new technology, but it is newly available technology. I haven't seen anything like this before, and if it works as advertised I think it is a worthwhile addition to the paintball equipment market. Kudos to JT.
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
It's so you get to see that drop from good operating pressure (with liquid in tank) to just gas. Kinda like when the fuel gauge drops way past empty in the movies...
Unfortunately it doesnt work that way. Your gauge will tell you its low on pressure when you have 10-20 shots left. But it will read as regular pressure up to that point. To use your gas gauge analogy, the gauge would read full until you have 3 miles to go, then it would say empty.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News