mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wait, what?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
What am I missing (Painter leak, yet again)

So I have a pirated Painter - one that's made the rounds on this site, actually. Anyhow, it had a slight leak down the barrel when I first got it (which, of course, had never been an issue for the previous owners). I put some oil in the ASA and that sealed it up well enough for two days of play. Air it up in anticipation of a third and now air is roaring down the barrel. I bite the bullet, order a rebuild kit, and rebuild it (I've had plenty of Sheridans so the process is familiar). Test it out, works great.

Fast forward to today (one week later). I take the gun outside (it's stored indoors in a case), air it up, and it dumps an entire 4oz tank down the barrel in a matter of seconds. Seriously, white clouds and all. What the hell am I missing here? I'm half a step from making a very expensive doorstop out of it.
Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Eric

Send a message via Skype™ to lechooch

I dot remember if this rule applies to sheridans, but have you tried cocking the marker before putting air in? Otherwise, go back to step 1 and put in high wt. oil in the asa. I can provide you with different formulas with varying thicknesses next time I see you. Otherwise try rebuilding it again if you have the orings.
Youtube Chanel:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLechooch/videos
Feedbackhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
lechooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wait, what?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Yeah, I can try again (or might just ship it to PPS). I am cocking it before airing it up, though.
Feedback
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
I have had a few Sheridan based PPS guns (and even a Pyre) that would vent air right down the barrel unless you cocked it first.

Never have explored why this would be or how come some need to have it down and others do not.

However, if all the rubber is new (assuming you changed them all during the rebuild) then the problem is either a misaligned gasket or... it is just one of those guns that wants to be cocked first.

Nothing broke or wore out in such a short time and little use. So... either user error or something that a rebuild kit cannot fix.

Good luck.

PS Call PPS. Craig does a really good "Ramparts" imitation, even has you gas up and or shoot for him over the phone so he can hear whats up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wait, what?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I'll be giving PPS a ring, or might just bite the bullet and ship it to them for a "professional" rebuild (since mine was apparently lacking in whatever magic dust they sprinkle their markers with). Sucks because I didn't factor that in when I acquired the gun, but such is life.

Bullet points for those keeping score at home:
- Always cocking before airing
- All new rubber
- All new springs
- Air up and shot fine last week, now dumps entire tanks down the barrel
- Nothing was changed aside from a leaky macro fitting between then and now. Not sure how that would affect it, though...
Feedback
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eph 2:8&9

PPS does some wonderful work, but it does take time getting your marker back. Contact FirePro84 here on MCB (or paintballtek.com). He does wonderful work too. Knowledgeable, quick, great communication, and reasonable with pricing. He took care of two PPS markers for me.
maliitbato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stick Feed Aficionado

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliitbato View Post
PPS does some wonderful work, but it does take time getting your marker back. Contact FirePro84 here on MCB (or paintballtek.com). He does wonderful work too. Knowledgeable, quick, great communication, and reasonable with pricing. He took care of two PPS markers for me.
^ This. Tim worked at PPS and knows his stuff. He took great care of two of my leaky super stockers.

Feedback
PathFinders Paintball Team
Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm so sorry she is giving you grief bro: I swear the only leak I ever heard from her was the macro, and warming it up took care of that.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wait, what?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Swapping the macro for a braided hose so I decided to give rebuilding another go.

QUESTION: The rebuild kit has two o-rings, one smaller diameter, one larger. The larger one is clearly for the valve body (it sits in a lip between the threading inside the tubing and the body itself). Where does the smaller one go? Try as I might, I don't see a place on the valvetrain that looks like it'd make use of it.
Feedback
Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Original SWARM

The smaller o-ring goes in the groove on the steel front chamber plug (far right part)
are you rutting the jam nut in bevel side first ?
it should look like this:

Last edited by Smiley; 04-01-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Palmer Pursuit Shop