mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Future-proof bore size for fixed-barrel PPS markers? (shrinking paint economics)

I am in the process of starting a new project, and I'd like to know what the community thinks on the topic of bore-size:

Palmer's brass markers must be selected with a single bore size, and since we've had a lot of "small paint" or "shrinking paint size" economics going on lately, what are your thoughts on future-proofing a custom marker with a fixed barrel?

I ordered my Hurricane (H2103) with the standard bore (0.687?) and wedgits. It seems to hold most paint alright, but I do get some rollouts. For my next project, I was thinking of going with the small bore (is this 0.684 or 0.685?) and light wedgits.

I know Craig and Drum will probably weigh in, but has anyone gone through this decision process lately? Thanks.

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."

Last edited by SpinDoctor15; 02-28-2008 at 12:14 PM.
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
one in the smallest they make, one in the biggest they make.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Marathoner

Yes, I am going with a removable barrel to make it future proof.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
you need my "paint enlargement technology"
perhaps you've seen my marketing emails?

'bigger paint in 4 days'
'impress her with big paint'
'increase your painthood'

Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Depending on what paint you have available at your fields (and if they allow BYOP), you might be OK with a "traditional" .690 Palmer barrel with light-medium wedgits for general usage. I was thinking about this myself, because I have a Squall order in and had them put .685's on, and ordered a barrel for another marker the other day and was wondering if that was really the best choice for a non-pistol.

I did a little research on the paint forum of PBN (scary, but sometimes they do have useful information), where they have a ball size thread. From what I saw, it looks like not all paint is really shrinking. For example, Marballizers (which I really like), were looking around .684-7 or so, but there were several other high quality paints (such as Evil, which is really popular) were up in the .689-.691 range. I ended up going with a .690 because the gun is open bolt and has a detent so I'm not super worried about rollouts (unlike on the Squall which will be bouncing around muzzle down sometimes). Also, while I may be fussy about my paint for a pump or pistol, on a bulk-fed semi where I'm going for accuracy by volume, I'm generally more likely to cheap out on paint and get Zap or something lower quality which could vary quite a bit. I'd rather my barrel be a little big than too small.
Mayvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Depending on what paint you have available at your fields (and if they allow BYOP), you might be OK with a "traditional" .690 Palmer barrel with light-medium wedgits for general usage. I was thinking about this myself, because I have a Squall order in and had them put .685's on, and ordered a barrel for another marker the other day and was wondering if that was really the best choice for a non-pistol.

I did a little research on the paint forum of PBN (scary, but sometimes they do have useful information), where they have a ball size thread. From what I saw, it looks like not all paint is really shrinking. For example, Marballizers (which I really like), were looking around .684-7 or so, but there were several other high quality paints (such as Evil, which is really popular) were up in the .689-.691 range. I ended up going with a .690 because the gun is open bolt and has a detent so I'm not super worried about rollouts (unlike on the Squall which will be bouncing around muzzle down sometimes). Also, while I may be fussy about my paint for a pump or pistol, on a bulk-fed semi where I'm going for accuracy by volume, I'm generally more likely to cheap out on paint and get Zap or something lower quality which could vary quite a bit. I'd rather my barrel be a little big than too small.
It is even worse for me where I play. I really like Marbs as well, but they are horribly small for some reason around here. They have been rolling out through the 0.679 insert of my freak kit...

Every now and then I get a bag that must have been bloated, as it is an okay fit for the next insert up.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
.679, jeez...that's rough. I don't even think my Pipe or Scepter kits have inserts that small. Find out where your field gets the shrink ray from, and you can make some .62 paint for us!
Mayvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
when paint is that small I just leave bags open to swell it over the day, by noon I usually have something decent then.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'M NOT SELLING ME PUMPS!

Send a message via AIM to Sup3rL4m3r

wedgits and deep-wedgits - that's my 2 cents - if the paint get's smaller than that, we'll be buying it out of gumball machines, or shooting it out of straws, anyways.

+ POG # 1075 - My PPS Brass Pyre #25, Kampfer's "Se7en"

MCB Feedback PBN Feedback, if it matters to you

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|P|A|I|N|T|C|R|A|$|H|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Sup3rL4m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can you bore the entire length of the barrel to except freak inserts? Then you can stack the inserts down the barrel with a small set screw on both ends to keep the inserts in place if you want the bore match the entire length of the barrel. I use a set screw to keep my freak inserts in place for my VM.

You never know what the future may bring.
Anonymous Coward is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Palmer Pursuit Shop