mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #431 (permalink)
no e

Send a message via Skype™ to LadyRAZERBAKK

I’ll give this one a 6, just because of the subject. But it’s not that good photographically.

LadyRAZERBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #432 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

flowing water but there isn't anything distinctive about it, you don't get a sense of either where its coming from or where its going, takes away from the effect of the shot. It could be interesting but the waterfall in itself just isn't interesting enough.

2007 Houston Grand Prix
Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #433 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Cool subject (and an uber cute kiddo). Look, I don't give ratings, but I can offer a few thoughts for you to consider.

1. It would be a stronger image if you got closer and/or cropped the people/stuff on the sides. It's empty space that leads the eye away from your subject.
2. For outdoor pics, consider picking up a circular polarizer--it will saturate the colors, add definition to the clouds, and minimize the reflections off metal and water (which take away from the car).
3. I'd have like to see more dimensionality in the kid/car--shooting up or down at them (and off the facing plane) to add a sense of depth.

Not trying to pile on...just some thoughts. Here's a pic of my own with a similar subject. I try to make some of these points in this picture...Thanks for sharing your image!

Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #434 (permalink)

I really like the contrast of the colors and the setting hues going on, you can get the glowing undertones of the paint and the classic highlights thanks to what I can safely assume is a setting summer sun, almost into fall. For some reason though, I'm drawn to the tree more than the car. Maybe because it's a more contrasting and natural green than the aquamarine, but the tree and those body panels seem to mesh, which is nice.

Now that I've said that, this was taken.... I think with a kodak 3 megapixel back in the day. Highschool, I think.

Headshotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #435 (permalink)
Not a Furry

Send a message via AIM to Clearush

Its and interesting capture of action in motion but not knowing what is happening about to happen kind've takes away a bit. I do think the b/w helps it out a bit. It decent for an action photo's which are just luck of draw in real life situations, sports and organized stuff is easier to deal with.

Same Grand Prix -
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #436 (permalink)
no e

Send a message via Skype™ to LadyRAZERBAKK

5/10
Cool subject, no eye catching feature.
More documenting a cool car than art.
LadyRAZERBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #437 (permalink)
Post Whore

7/10. i think it needs some more contrast but this is a really cool picture.
i probably would have not cropped so tightly and but i can understand why you did it the way you did. the thing i dont like is the reflection on the surface of the water... no way around that though. and the sunspot in the bottom left... i dont like sunspots in BW photography

Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN

Last edited by 77monteballer; 11-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #438 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
What are people using for the basis of judgment? If they think it's cool or actual photography standards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #439 (permalink)
Post Whore

ive always gone by how i was graded in my photography class... subject matter, execution, and details.

theres no set grading system that i know of but i have learned from the critiques i have received.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #440 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
What are people using for the basis of judgment? If they think it's cool or actual photography standards?
My guess?

1. Take the number that jumps into your head within the first second.
2. Add two to soften the blow.

That's why I don't ever use numbers and otherwise try to offer some feedback on my experience viewing the image. I try to cite one or two things I found satisfying. And where my eye (1) got hung up on a glaring aspect of the composition, (2) flew off the page, or (3) otherwise was left wanting...I'll try to comment on that too, for purposes of process improvement.

I think everyone on this thread has a different level of experience. So we can't exclusively talk fine art and expert technique...nor should we pass up the chance to lift the discourse when we can...

For this reason, I motion that this thread no longer use a numeric rating scale. Qualitative feedback only. Let other readers combine the comments and the original post as they wish...
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography