mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #51 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Thanks for the insights. It's all about expectations, isn't it?

At this point, I'm out a negligible amount of cash for what I specifically want to see replace a compact camera. The Canon just doesn't cut it for me. I don't need continuous autofocus, nor do I want to build a system around this camera--although picking up a single prime at some point for speed and size is a possibility.

If I were paying full retail price and/or looking to switch out with a DSLR system, I might have higher standards. As it is, I am hoping that my expectations are actually too low and that I'll be pleasantly surprised...
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #52 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. PhunkyPants View Post
Thanks for the insights. It's all about expectations, isn't it?

At this point, I'm out a negligible amount of cash for what I specifically want to see replace a compact camera. The Canon just doesn't cut it for me. I don't need continuous autofocus, nor do I want to build a system around this camera--although picking up a single prime at some point for speed and size is a possibility.

If I were paying full retail price and/or looking to switch out with a DSLR system, I might have higher standards. As it is, I am hoping that my expectations are actually too low and that I'll be pleasantly surprised...
Sounds like a good outlook. I don't mean to dis the epl I just think m/43 gets trashed because some expect it to do everything their dslr does. I might pick up one of those epl bodies just because they are so cheap right now.
MY FEEDBACK

Parallax 47 Photography
dgorman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Cool. Yeah, with these prices, it's silly--it's only about $50 more than a standard Canon compact!

If you do go to the Cameta well, be advised--the cameras marked Refurbished have been shown to have way high shutter counts in some instances. Others only a few. But for just $25 more, I went with the new one w/ warranty.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #54 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

I've been using the epl1 for awhile but ultimately I prefer a dslr. I still sometimes put the epl1 up to my face as if it had a viewfinder. I don't think I want to invest in the electronic vf either.

Speaking of cameta, I ordered a used lens from them and it came with a seriously effed up focus knob, so much for mint condition. At least the return was smooth, but I found it interesting they never mentioned an exchange, just said they would refund me.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
So the E-PL1 arrived yesterday. My first impression was that it reminded me of the 2.2 megapixel Olympus C-2000z I had back in the late 1990's!

It's going back to Cameta for a refund. After about 2-3 minutes the unit is getting uncomfortably hot to the touch!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #56 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

Yea thats not right. Cameta is batting 1000 lately it seems.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

im really enjoying my Sony Nex5n, might be something to consider taking a look at.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #58 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
So the E-PL1 arrived yesterday. My first impression was that it reminded me of the 2.2 megapixel Olympus C-2000z I had back in the late 1990's!

It's going back to Cameta for a refund. After about 2-3 minutes the unit is getting uncomfortably hot to the touch!
That sucks! Was it a refurb or supposedly new? I've never dealt with Cameta and I'm not sure that I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymzor View Post
im really enjoying my Sony Nex5n, might be something to consider taking a look at.
I was just reading an article about Oly and Sony possibly merging some of their divisions seeing as Oly did some shady accounting as of recent. I really like the focus peaking feature that Sony puts on their cameras. That feature alone make me want to purchase one and adapt some old glass.
MY FEEDBACK

Parallax 47 Photography
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #59 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
I confirmed it to be a new unit by checking the shutter count. The firmware was 1.1, also. But I did see a few references to people whose units got hot...and others saying that was unusual. So back it goes!

Here's the thing...after all these years my hands fly over Nikon so that the camera just gets out of the way and I can focus (no pun intended) on making images.

Thinkin about it rationally, I'm probably better off just using my tiny old D40 or getting a D3100 for portability. With the 35mm 1.8 on there, it's not THAT much bigger than this Oly!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #60 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
I confirmed it to be a new unit by checking the shutter count. The firmware was 1.1, also. But I did see a few references to people whose units got hot...and others saying that was unusual. So back it goes!

Here's the thing...after all these years my hands fly over Nikon so that the camera just gets out of the way and I can focus (no pun intended) on making images.

Thinkin about it rationally, I'm probably better off just using my tiny old D40 or getting a D3100 for portability. With the 35mm 1.8 on there, it's not THAT much bigger than this Oly!
Yeah if you're not used to the oly menu system it can be frustrating. Despite the small sensor I've heard some really good things about the Nikon V1. Fun second camera that easy to just pickup and shoot with. I think it was Steve Huff that said that.

edit: I'd also like to add a reference to another forum. I've been on this forum: mu-43.com and found the community to be very helpful can knowedgeable about mirrorless cams.
MY FEEDBACK

Parallax 47 Photography

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography