mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/photography/)
-   -   Setting up a video camera for an over the shoulder shot / review for Youtube? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/photography/211212-setting-up-video-camera-over-shoulder-shot-review-youtube.html)

Talfuchre 08-17-2012 09:29 PM

Setting up a video camera for an over the shoulder shot / review for Youtube?

I want to set up a simple set up for videoing over my shoulder so I can have my hands free and work on a marker or do a review over my shoulder.

Lighting and camera set up suggestions would be great - the cheaper the better.

Thanks!

TF

Falcon16 08-17-2012 09:54 PM

you can get shoulder mount rigs for almost any DSLR in the business that will do exactly what you're suggesting. I'm assuming with that said you own a DSLR with video capabilities. If not you could probably jury ring a wrist or shoulder strap of some kind for the video camera you'd be using.

Talfuchre 08-17-2012 10:56 PM

Here is the video camera I have:

Amazon.com: Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Black (2nd Generation): Camera & Photo

Just a simple point and shoot - but it does have a tripod female hole...

I don't want a shoulder mount as it would mean I would have to hold on to it. I want it to be static and sit off the table - or over my shoulder and just show my hands and the table.

Any thoughts?

TF

Luckless 08-17-2012 11:15 PM

Look around for an old cheap external frame back pack, and rip that apart to make a carrier? Would let you get a bit of extra mass to the whole rig and hopefully dampen a bit of camera shake. I have yet to see a shoulder only hands-free mount that was remotely stable if moving any amount.

Talfuchre 08-18-2012 06:35 PM

I guess I need to clarify. I will be stationary. I will be sitting at a table - I want the camera to be pointing straight down at the table so that I can film tech video's on Paintball products. Any ideas?

TF

Luckless 08-20-2012 11:28 AM

Oh, sorry for some reason I thought you wanted an over the shoulder mount so you could move around and it would keep a fixed view in relation to you. So, in that case, tripod with a boom arm. Assuming you already have a decent tripod, or one that will do, get a length of steel pipe, an end cap, proper sized screw and nut matching the standard thread for your tripods head thread. Make a mount to hold the pipe at a comfortable angle from your tripod (leave some sticking out the back to counter balance. Hang a water bottle or jug from it if needed.) Use plywood scraps, and securely glue the nut to the base of your pipe holder.

From there, drill a shallow hole in the pipe cap, epoxy the screw in it, screw cap on end of pipe. Take the tripod head off your tripod, screw on to end of pipe, attach pipe adaptor you made on to your tripod. Check it is stable, attach camera, and go at it.

77monteballer 08-20-2012 12:02 PM

you could save a lot of time and hassle and pick one of these up. theyre mountable pretty much anywhere and are pretty durable from what i read. gorilla pod

as for lighting, a couple shop lights and some white sheet or poster board would do nicely.

Arson24 08-20-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77monteballer (Post 2449342)
you could save a lot of time and hassle and pick one of these up. theyre mountable pretty much anywhere and are pretty durable from what i read. gorilla pod

as for lighting, a couple shop lights and some white sheet or poster board would do nicely.

the gorilla pod willl work well in what you need, just need to mount it so you give your self enough room to move within the shot
then shoot away.

or even a suction cup mount you could mount to a window or wall beside you while your doing your review

Talfuchre 08-23-2012 07:59 PM

Funny - I was thinking about this kind of mount - I think what I will do is build a simple PVC box frame to sit above the table by a few feet and then wrap the this mount around it - and be able to adjust on the fly. Cheap and easy.

Like a girl I used to date...

and then married.

TF

77monteballer 08-24-2012 09:20 AM

BWAH HAHAHAHA awesome.

pics of the setup when youre done?