mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Shooting manual is tough!

So I've been trying to use Manual for my recent pics of my new born and test pics, and it sure is taking some getting some used to. I really need to sit down and re-read my books on ISO, shutter speed, etc. I think I am getting it though, or at least hope so! Here are a few today...I want to post my thoughts and see if you guys think the same... Please feel free to add your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Side note, these are the uncropped, untouched pictures. I am looking more for composure elements than the finished product. If I can't get the main pic right, the editing portion is null.

Camera: Rebel T3

Baby...

Shutter speed 1/100, ISO 200, White Balance Daylight, Nifty 50

My thoughts: I should have had a faster shutter speed, probably 1/200-1/400 to soften the contrast some. Leave the ISO as is.

Digging Dog...

Shutter speed 1/200, ISO 200, White Balance Daylight, 55-250 at 146mm

My thoughts: I need a much faster shutter speed to capture the action, flinging dirt, etc, probably 1/1600. If I change the exposure time that fast, does the ISO need to be adjusted?

Slobber Dog...

Shutter Speed 1/200, ISO 200, White Balance Daylight, 55-250 at 163mm

My thoughts: I wouldn't change much, maybe bring the shutter speed up 1/400. Seems like her lower neck is slightly out of focus, but I don't know if I could correct that and keep the rest of the subject in focus.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
And if I am doing something horribly wrong, don't be afraid to say!

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Quote:
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Quote:
Shutter speed 1/200, ISO 200, White Balance Daylight, 55-250 at 146mm

My thoughts: I need a much faster shutter speed to capture the action, flinging dirt, etc, probably 1/1600. If I change the exposure time that fast, does the ISO need to be adjusted?
Yes.

To maintain the original exposure, you would have to bump the ISO up three stops to ISO1600.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

All of those are in the shade, WB should be set to "Shade". If you're shooting full Manual, there's one more important number you're leaving out, your aperture. Changing that will effect what exposure you need to be at. I try not to shoot portraits at anything less than 1/160th. If you're shooting with a 50mm, you can probably get it down to at least f1.8. Unless you're shooting in very dark conditions, dropping it down to around 2.0-2.2, you should easily be able to get to 1/160-1/250.

As for the focus issue with the last photo, your aperture is going to be what effects that. The wider you are (the lower the f-stop number), the greater the depth of field you're going to get. So if you have a low f-number (f2.0 for example), you're only going to have a VERY small plane that is in focus. When I shoot, I'm usually at around f3.5. I'll focus on the person's eye, that way their eyes and face are in focus, and everything behind them will be out of focus (bokeh). So, if you're shooting at a lower f-stop and you focus on the dog's eye, his snout will be out of focus, his eyes will be in focus, and everything behind him will be out of focus, and that's just fine. It adds depth to the photograph. You don't want your images to look flat. If you want more or everything to be in focus, you need a larger f-number (f8 or f11). But, the higher your f-number, the slower your shutter is going to have to be or the higher your ISO is going to have to be. It's kind of like fire. Fire needs the right combination of oxygen, heat and fuel. Depending on the combination, you get different results, but you can achieve the exact same fire by increasing one ingredient when another is lacking. Manual photography needs the right combination of shutter, aperture and ISO. If one changes, you have change something else if you want to get a similar exposure. It just takes time and practice. Get used to the settings, understand how changing one setting effects the photograph.
xero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

you need to get this book, I picked it up yesterday after a pump tourney
and have read about 100pages and LOVE it, So helpful and he throws some humor in there
A TON of info in there that might help you out, just my 2cnts

Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson24 View Post
and have read about 100pages and LOVE it, So helpful and he throws some humor in there

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...652D0C943F.jpg
Hey man, thanks! I dug out my old book from community college photography, and was reading through that, but anything helps. For me, photography is a hobby only, but it's more fulfilling to do it right!

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmag11 View Post
Hey man, thanks! I dug out my old book from community college photography, and was reading through that, but anything helps. For me, photography is a hobby only, but it's more fulfilling to do it right!
Ya for sure man
for $24.99USD it is well worth the price.
I learned about 4-5 things in the first 10 pages that have really helped me out
the 3rd edition is the one you want, as he describes the techniques with digital also.
plus some projects at the end that you can test your self with.
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pumper at heart

I also have a copy of this and it is GREAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arson24 View Post

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...652D0C943F.jpg
spartan985 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography