mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

Old camera

I recently got into photography and have been going everyday to the photo room in my school to explore more techniques. I noticed that I enjoy and older camera then the newer ones. I am not so sure what camera to get but want one that is easy to develop film, and takes amazing shots. any suggestions on a beginner camera?
Kanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanas View Post
I recently got into photography and have been going everyday to the photo room in my school to explore more techniques. I noticed that I enjoy and older camera then the newer ones. I am not so sure what camera to get but want one that is easy to develop film, and takes amazing shots. any suggestions on a beginner camera?
That would be you sir.

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Film comes in a number of chemistries, but the type of film you use is what matters for how hard or easy it is to develop after the fact. If it is a 35mm camera, then you can use any kind of standard 35mm film you want as far as I am aware.

Before you dive too far into the hobby of film, keep in mind the costs. Invest in a decent digital setup and you can basically take photos for the cost of recharging your battery. What you can save in cheap film body will easily be eaten away by the cost of film, equipment to process it, and the actual processing itself. Really think hard about it before going too far with things, and keep in mind how you are going to actually get your film, and how you will be processing it.

Also, strongly consider getting a good light meter. Ideally one with support for flash.

You may also want to consider the option of medium format. While you are likely to spend a little more for the time being on supplies, I would be willing to bet the medium and large format film systems are going to hold their markets a little better than 35mm. Medium and large format digital backs are hellishly expensive, so it is one field where film is still reigning king. Full frame 35mm digital is becoming cheaper and cheaper, which means fewer people staying in the market for film.

Plus, if you like what can be done on 35mm film, then you will love the kind of stuff you can do on an even larger sheet of film.

(Plus, if you pull out an old Hasselblad, it will just scream "Stand back, I know what I'm doing." and the women will love you. Not to mention it is fun to say. Hasselblad.)
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Go really old school and build your own pin hole camera.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

After doing some research I love the idea of an old black and white camera. I was looking at 35mm and 120 cameras. Like a medium format. What is the cheapest film that is easiest to purchase and get developed?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

35mm is still available and shops will still develop it for ya.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Killer Kanas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbalien73 View Post
35mm is still available and shops will still develop it for ya.
I know but isn't it expensive?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Black and white is really cheap to do yourself and color is cheap if you don't get prints and scan it yourself. You could pick up some cheap 35mm SLR for <$50 and have at it. If you hate it you aren't out much money.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Nope:
Kentmere Kentmere 35mm Black and White ISO 100 Negative 6012368
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
You may also want to consider the option of medium format. While you are likely to spend a little more for the time being on supplies, I would be willing to bet the medium and large format film systems are going to hold their markets a little better than 35mm.

Plus, if you like what can be done on 35mm film, then you will love the kind of stuff you can do on an even larger sheet of film.

(Plus, if you pull out an old Hasselblad, it will just scream "Stand back, I know what I'm doing." and the women will love you. Not to mention it is fun to say. Hasselblad.)
THIS times 1000. The quality of medium format prints is absolutely insane.

Also, if you have developing materials great, but if you don't, you can send off your 120/220 negatives to Film Developing at The Darkroom | Develop Film by Mail for $10 for REALLY cheap but good developing services.
Dr. PhunkyPants is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography