mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Josh, I looked at that one, but I'm afraid the equipment portion isn't large enough. I'm picking up a D300 this weekend and an 18-200VR as well. Add to that the Gripped D90 and the 18-55 and 55-200 plus a 12-24 wide angle and a 50mm. I also plan on getting a D800 by the end of the year, beginning of next, but haven't decided on which lens' I want for it yet. I'm sure at most I'll only have the D800 and either the D90 or D200 with me at any given time, but I always keep a lens on my bodies. Always. Oh, and let's not forget the flash, the off camera flash mount and the light meter. Plus any reflector disks. I guess I should be looking at pack mules.

If you could snap a pic of it loaded with gear, I'd

Frink, They're not so much thick as wide. I also like to keep around "Photography, The Essential Way" which is really wide, plus a note pad for notes. And a moleskin. Oh, and if I'm going out of town, my laptop and at least one external hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

hmm, if nobody makes a bag to carry all of that... it might be a sign you are trying to carry too much

Maybe considered using a bag in conjunction with a camera holster and lens swap holster when you need to carry a few more things at once? carrying all of that all the time seems like too much (if it's too much to fit in any one bag)
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
hmm, if nobody makes a bag to carry all of that... it might be a sign you are trying to carry too much

Maybe considered using a bag in conjunction with a camera holster and lens swap holster when you need to carry a few more things at once? carrying all of that all the time seems like too much (if it's too much to fit in any one bag)
I think it's more of an issue that there aren't bags made for photo students. My commute time to school is about an hour in Atlanta traffic so I'm not about to leave gear behind in the event I may need it. And you never know when and instructor is going to get a wild hair up their butt and decide we're going to take a trip down the road to down town to shoot city-scapes. I have a smaller bag for the camera, an extra lens and some small pieces like batteries, cards, remotes and typically carry only it and my actual book bag.

How many of us, other than CJOttowa, take only one gun to the field? Why would I do it different for this?

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I used to carry a crap-ton of gear, until I realized I hardly use most of it.

I have a trunk locker in the back of my suv, chained down, that I keep my camera gear in. Two locks with different combinations the car is locked. I have no remorse leaving gear in my car and taking my kata bag out with me. Might be something to consider.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Hmm, what about using two bags? That's what I usually do when I have to take a bunch of gear to the field on foot/transit (which is very often in the last year).
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ive been searching for something similar, jsut not quite as big as you guys sem to be looking for. I just want enough for 1 body w/ lens, a few lenses and a flash or two. WITH the laptop slot. thats the killer, I want my mini lowepro but with a laptop slot.

I like the look of the Kata there, but that seems like just too much/too big
twiitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
I used to carry a crap-ton of gear, until I realized I hardly use most of it.

I have a trunk locker in the back of my suv, chained down, that I keep my camera gear in. Two locks with different combinations the car is locked. I have no remorse leaving gear in my car and taking my kata bag out with me. Might be something to consider.
The thing is, I actually use most of the gear I tote. I also don't trust anything left in my car or truck in Atlanta. Place is crawling with scum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Hmm, what about using two bags? That's what I usually do when I have to take a bunch of gear to the field on foot/transit (which is very often in the last year).
Right now I do take two and there is no convienant way to carry them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiitch View Post
Ive been searching for something similar, jsut not quite as big as you guys sem to be looking for. I just want enough for 1 body w/ lens, a few lenses and a flash or two. WITH the laptop slot. thats the killer, I want my mini lowepro but with a laptop slot.

I like the look of the Kata there, but that seems like just too much/too big
I would say look at at bigger bag now rather than get what will just fit your needs. Right now I have three bags depending on what I'm doing bit could use a fourth, larger bag.

Quote:
Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
You sound like a production assistant on a reality show. My condolences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post

Right now I do take two and there is no convienant way to carry them both.
I found that the newer plastic shopping carts at Target are the quietest and smoothest for when you need to chase the camera crew with reloads and two charging stations.

Last edited by dundadun; 10-27-2012 at 09:04 PM.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would go with a back pack, and a decent quality sling bag to deal with all that.

Carrying that much stuff out on your back is not going to balance well, and being able to throw some of it (especially some of the camera gear you're going to want easy access to.) Pulling a heavy back pack around to get at your stuff is not fun.

I use a Kata 3n1-33, with a largish laptop sleeve, but it does not do well with textbooks sadly.

Exactly which lenses and bodies are you looking to carry around? Big difference between carrying a collection like 10-22, 28, 50, 85, and a sub 100mm zoom, and carrying around a 70-200 f2.8, 300mm, 400mm, and a few others after all.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Fan of EMR
I use one of these Lowepro - Vertex 300 AW

Not going to fit text books but you can get a laptop in there.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography