mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Large Camera backpack/ bag.

I've been looking for a larger bag lately, something that can hold 2 bodies, 3 to 4 lenses and at least a text book or two. Laptop area is nice, but not essential.

I found the Pelican PCS-182(b) but it's discontinued and it doesn't look like Pelican has replaced it with anything similar.

Ideally, I'd like something with the strength, crush proof of a Pelican case, but would like shoulder straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
that'd be one hell of a backpack if it can hold 2 bodies 3-4 lenses a laptop and some textbooks not to mention it would weigh a ton.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
that'd be one hell of a backpack if it can hold 2 bodies 3-4 lenses a laptop and some textbooks not to mention it would weigh a ton.
That's why I liked the Pelican and wish it was still available. It had a day pack that zipped off for easier transportation. There are times I have to take a lot of gear something bigger would be nice rather than having to take two bags, which sucks.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I hear ya. I just picked up a 70-210mm zoom and my little lowepro bag is already feeling cramped. Thinking of going to a slingbag for my camera gear

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I have a couple of cases already but for school, I have to take a backpack and a camera bag. I have the slingshot 100AW from LowePro and really like it for small hikes and stuff, but I need something bigger for going places. Right now, I'm carrying two bags and hate it. A lot of made to fit a laptop, which is cool, but I have yet to see any made to carry a full size notebook or text book.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via MSN to sparky Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

When in doubt.... go Kata. They have a few seriously massive backpacks that will suit you just fine. I just looked at one an hour ago locally, but don't remember the model number.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I've been using a kata bumblebee ul-222 for a few months now and I really like the bag so far. I have my grip'd 7D with a 70-200 f2.8 in the main camera compartment. A 50mm prime, a 28-138mm, and a 14mm lens to the right, and a second body(usually my film SLR) with some lenses for that camera and/or my speedlights. Either way, it will hold two bodies and several lenses.

On the side you can stick a tripod. This would be handy if you had a light tripod, but my manfrotto is way to heavy to carry in this thing. I use that feature for carrying a flash stand or a monopod(usually a monopod for video).

On the top is a modest compartment that I use for the carryall. It comfortably holds my wallet, phone, keys, ID's, sunglasses, and I usually put my computer power cord in there. Haven't really found much use other than that. The cool thing is, however, that you can take all the camera gear out and unzip the entire camera portion out of the bag and have one huge backpack if you wanted to for whatever reason.

It has a very nice laptop portion. I carry my 13" MacBook Pro around with lots of room to spare. I tried my old Dell laptop, a 19", and it fit snugly. I have carried textbooks in here before. I can easily fit two thin books or a large textbook easily. It's very tall, so it can hold a lot of stuff, it's just thin.

Since the inside of the backpack is yellow, it's really, really easy to find stuff too. I used to lose lens caps and batteries all the time. I haven't really had an issue with that here. The camera compartment also has a see-through, weather-proof so you can see stuff without actually opening it. GREAT for outdoors, pretty much what this bag was made for.

The big feature of this bag is the weight. It's LIGHT. Everything is super strong, but super lightweight. I've carried this bag around trade shows fully loaded for 9 hours at a time without having an issue with the weight.

OK, enough with the commercial. Overall I have found myself very happy with the bag. For $210 that I paid for it, I've been very happy. Something to consider.

Edit: One thing that I didn't point out, that was a big factor for me, was the frame. This backpack has an aluminum frame on it. If you wear this for a long time, you won't have a sweaty back from wearing the bag. There is a good 3/4 inch between your back and the back of the bag due to the frame. Doesn't add much weight either.

They also offer it in black, which is what I have.

Last edited by Kermit; 10-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
When in doubt.... go Kata. They have a few seriously massive backpacks that will suit you just fine. I just looked at one an hour ago locally, but don't remember the model number.
I've been browsing B&H's website for a little bit and have come across a few Kata's and another photographer I know uses one. I'm going to have to give them a strong look.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I've been browsing B&H's website for a little bit and have come across a few Kata's and another photographer I know uses one. I'm going to have to give them a strong look.
Kata makes a great product. Refer to my OP
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
How thick are your textbooks?

My recommendation would be to take a look at Think Tank bags. I'm an absolute camera bag slut and I've been through almost every brand. TT bags are soooo well designed.

I've got the Streetwalker Pro, UD35, Glass Taxi, Airport Express etc.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography