mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Airshow Photography Tips

Any tips? I'm going to the Blue Angel's homecoming show tomorrow and this will be my first shot at an airshow.

I don't want to take more stuff than I need so I'm thinking my 7D with battery grip, 70-200 f2.8, a 70-300 f4-f5.6 just in case I need more range(still a dang nice lens), a 28-135 and then a fisheye for some group shots, and maybe my 50mm prime.

I'd rather take enough kit that I won't feel like I missed out on a shot because I didn't have the gear with me, but I also don't want to carry stuff around that I won't need.

So, I'll stop talking and just ask some more experienced shooters. What would you suggest bringing? I can easily fit all the stuff above in my kata bumblebee pack, but it can still get kinda heavy after a while.

Suggestions? Comments? Anything helps!

Thanks,
Josh
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Negative

If you've never watched the Blue Angels before, I would suggest putting away the camera for their routine. Watch it, enjoy it, and savor it. The next time that you have a chance to see them, take pictures. Otherwise, you'll miss out on an incredible show.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I've seen the blues fly at least a dozen times, amazing show for sure. This is just my first year shooting
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Do you plan on shooting at such a low f-stop to justify carrying both the 70-200 and 70-300? I'm guessing your 50 will have a faster aperture than either, but of course no zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
given the 7D is a crop body I'd bring the 70-200,the 50mm, the fisheye I'm not sure about I've never really liked fisheye lens pics myself the distortion effect I find in most cases takes away from the picture. the 28-135 should give you a nice wide shot if you need it though if you have access a 20mm 2.8 would probably be ideal for the wide angle shots.

Given you've already got the 70-200,the 50 and the 28-135 I'd say leave the 70-300 at home it'll tighten up some shots a bit but probably not enough to justify the bag space when the 70-200 is probably well more than enough seeing as a 7D is a 1.6x crop factor that means your 70-200 is producing the same effective shots as a 112-320. Always remember one major rule of shooting if you've got a once in a lifetime shot of moving action and that is shoot wide first crop later (so I'd advise you to shoot RAW). the 50mm would be great for perhaps up close shots of the little details on the planes after the routine is over and they are parked and the 28-135 could be useful for getting in tight but not too tight on a say a diamond slot shot.

just my amateur/semi pro photog $.02

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
given the 7D is a crop body I'd bring the 70-200,the 50mm, the fisheye I'm not sure about I've never really liked fisheye lens pics myself the distortion effect I find in most cases takes away from the picture. the 28-135 should give you a nice wide shot if you need it though if you have access a 20mm 2.8 would probably be ideal for the wide angle shots.

Given you've already got the 70-200,the 50 and the 28-135 I'd say leave the 70-300 at home it'll tighten up some shots a bit but probably not enough to justify the bag space when the 70-200 is probably well more than enough seeing as a 7D is a 1.6x crop factor that means your 70-200 is producing the same effective shots as a 112-320. Always remember one major rule of shooting if you've got a once in a lifetime shot of moving action and that is shoot wide first crop later (so I'd advise you to shoot RAW). the 50mm would be great for perhaps up close shots of the little details on the planes after the routine is over and they are parked and the 28-135 could be useful for getting in tight but not too tight on a say a diamond slot shot.

just my amateur/semi pro photog $.02
Unless it's an EF-S lens. Then it's an actual 70-200.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
good point chopper duke I forgot about the fact that EF-S lenses are made for use on a APS-C body and thus produce true to focal length FOV whereas an EF lens is designed to cover a full 35mm so it gets parts of the lens that are in effect clipped by the sensor leaving the center of the lens to render the image to the sensor.

with that said

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount

if you look at that wiki article it points out that no L series lenses which I'm sure that's what Josh's 2.8 is are EF-S mount in fact the selection of true EF-S lenses appears relatively small.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel

Quote:

Last edited by Falcon16; 11-02-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
good point chopper duke I forgot about the fact that EF-S lenses are made for use on a APS-C body and thus produce true to focal length FOV whereas an EF lens is designed to cover a full 35mm so it gets parts of the lens that are in effect clipped by the sensor leaving the center of the lens to render the image to the sensor.

with that said

Canon EF-S lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if you look at that wiki article it points out that no L series lenses which I'm sure that's what Josh's 2.8 is are EF-S mount in fact the selection of true EF-S lenses appears relatively small.
It is very possible his lens is an L Series and not an EF-S. It's a canon. Ewwww.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
ugh a Nikon shooter EWWW NIKON COOTIES IN THE THREAD! jk all kidding aside when you get into the higher end stuff both Canon and Nikon make great cameras.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel

Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Do you plan on shooting at such a low f-stop to justify carrying both the 70-200 and 70-300? I'm guessing your 50 will have a faster aperture than either, but of course no zoom.
The 70-300 has a larger zoom range, and I definitely don't need a constant f2.8....but it's just so much sharper.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography