mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Shadow knows!

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post
The camera has flash but I'm not using it. I have lights on opposite ends of the box that pass through translucent cloth.

Elmer's Foam Core Board is what I use for the box along with some white wrapping paper for the background.
Cheapest method for you would to be keep using the setup you have light wise, and if you are not already, buy or start using a tripod for your camera ( thus alleviating any movement and blurry shots), and just buy bigger sheets of whiteboard and t build a bigger box and start using longer shutter speeds to overexpose the background. Looks like you are doing a fine job already and you stated you are using PS to some extent anyway to refine your the image background.

Also, if you are wanting some help refining your light setup and are not too proud, you could always post a raw image before you doing any post production so we can better see what kinda results you are getting straight out of camera. Just a thought. I'd be happy to help you further if you need to. Just post back here or if you want to feel free to PM me.
Ninjamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Pick up a bunch of quarter inch pipe and fittings, and use that for a frame. Best part of it is that is lets you make it to the size you want, and easily pack things away when you're done.

A roll of fine grain paper works well for the back ground, and your side defusers can be anything that will help cut the sharpness out of the light. Spending more on high end panels means they transmit the light through with very little colour cast. Cheap stuff you pick up in the discount bin at the fabric store can work nearly as well.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamitch View Post

Also, if you are wanting some help refining your light setup and are not too proud, you could always post a raw image before you doing any post production so we can better see what kinda results you are getting straight out of camera. Just a thought. I'd be happy to help you further if you need to. Just post back here or if you want to feel free to PM me.
I have a raw file but how should I save it for hosting?
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Shadow knows!

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
I have a raw file but how should I save it for hosting?
Sorry, I meant just don't do any post production on it ( no cloning, no adjustments at all). Just make sure it is in jpg format and post it.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Sorry, I meant just don't do any post production on it ( no cloning, no adjustments at all). Just make sure it is in jpg format and post it.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Shadow knows!

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
That isn't too bad! Actually very good. First I'd start by getting some seamless white paper ( the widest you could find ), that would alleviate the seam you see in the background. From there, if you have or are using a tripod to hold your camera, experiment with the shutter speeds to see if you can brighten up or overexpose the background. The longer you have the shutter open, the brighter the image will be, but you know that already.

You might try using your on camera flash to put some fill in there and see what that looks like. If you're using Canon, just try starting with the ETTL setting on it ( basically your letting the camera figure out the flash output power). If that doesn't look good or looks funky, then go to manual output on the flash and maybe start with 1/8 power and see what that looks like. Oh, forgot to mention to keep you lightbox lights on while doing this too!

Last edited by Ninjamitch; 11-27-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

I run this one at work

Impact Digital Light Shed - Extra Large - DLS-XL B&H Photo Video
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
That isn't too bad! Actually very good. First I'd start by getting some seamless white paper ( the widest you could find ), that would alleviate the seam you see in the background. From there, if you have or are using a tripod to hold your camera, experiment with the shutter speeds to see if you can brighten up or overexpose the background. The longer you have the shutter open, the brighter the image will be, but you know that already.

You might try using your on camera flash to put some fill in there and see what that looks like. If you're using Canon, just try starting with the ETTL setting on it ( basically your letting the camera figure out the flash output power). If that doesn't look good or looks funky, then go to manual output on the flash and maybe start with 1/8 power and see what that looks like. Oh, forgot to mention to keep you lightbox lights on while doing this too!

That seam you see is a piece of paper that covers an aluminum plate that I use to keep the markers standing up. The box does have a curved sheet of paper in the back to eliminate the box panel seams but I have been a little hesitant on poking holes in that ( for the plate pins ) because I am constantly moving the plate around. I think the paper is more of a crafting / wrapping paper. Very white.

I use a Canon Rebel EOS XS 1000D with a 18-35 ( or maybe 55, I don't remember) lens and tripod. I'm still new to DSLRs so I don't quite know my way around the camera just yet. I did need help setting it up but I've been experimenting with it since then and have probably broke stuff in the process . I don't recall the shutter speed or other settings so I'll post back in the morning.

Edit:

I'll need to double check but I think I am shooting in AV mode in F11 so I think my shutter speed and ISO are automatically adjusted for the F value.

Last edited by CCM Photographer; 11-28-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Shadow knows!

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
That seam you see is a piece of paper that covers an aluminum plate that I use to keep the markers standing up. The box does have a curved sheet of paper in the back to eliminate the box panel seams but I have been a little hesitant on poking holes in that ( for the plate pins ) because I am constantly moving the plate around. I think the paper is more of a crafting / wrapping paper. Very white.

I use a Canon Rebel EOS XS 1000D with a 18-35 ( or maybe 55, I don't remember) lens and tripod. I'm still new to DSLRs so I don't quite know my way around the camera just yet. I did need help setting it up but I've been experimenting with it since then and have probably broke stuff in the process . I don't recall the shutter speed or other settings so I'll post back in the morning.

Edit:

I'll need to double check but I think I am shooting in AV mode in F11 so I think my shutter speed and ISO are automatically adjusted for the F value.
By he looks of it here, you have two things going on. Either the paper you are using is too thin, or you'll need to have a bit of a longer shutter speed to blow out the background more. The upper part you have there, where your plate is, is showing a yellowish cast to it. I'm assuming you can see through it....

While in Av you should be able to bump up your exposure using Exposure compensation real fast and easy. Those are those lines at the bottom of your viewfinder or in you LCD at the top or on the. Ack of your menu screen, should be about 18 of the in all which represent small increments of adding / subtracting shutter speed. Take it to the + side using your buttons.

Just realized after typing this you probably already know about exposure compensation, so sorry
Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
By he looks of it here, you have two things going on. Either the paper you are using is too thin, or you'll need to have a bit of a longer shutter speed to blow out the background more. The upper part you have there, where your plate is, is showing a yellowish cast to it. I'm assuming you can see through it....

While in Av you should be able to bump up your exposure using Exposure compensation real fast and easy. Those are those lines at the bottom of your viewfinder or in you LCD at the top or on the. Ack of your menu screen, should be about 18 of the in all which represent small increments of adding / subtracting shutter speed. Take it to the + side using your buttons.

Just realized after typing this you probably already know about exposure compensation, so sorry
The paper I'm using is about the same thickness of wrapping paper but it isn't translucent. I've tried adjusting the AEB but neither seemed to make much of a difference. I did try with flash and a high flash exposure compensation and while it did white out the background more I did get a bad glare off the marker. The yellow cast may be coming from outside the box from the office lights, I'll experiment with that when I have time. I'll post back with more detailed pictures with settings..

Last edited by CCM Photographer; 11-28-2012 at 04:30 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography