mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Made the journey to BH Photo in NYC....

I've been hanging out in New York for the past few days for no reason at all and I decided that a trip to BH Photo was required....

Wow.

Talk about big..... I don't think I've ever been to a camera store that 4 employees at once, let alone one that easily had over a hundred on a weekday during lunchtime. Prices were great (buy online though to save NY high taxes), the store very easy to find anything you want, but the service was okay at best compared to smaller stores (I got some serious attitude from an older man who couldn't use a keyboard nor open a box...) and it's a little strange at the till.

Got to play with a Canon 6D finally. Overall liked the layout, for the price it's a pretty sweet camera. Would love to try it out in the field. The 1DX is one hell of a beast in the hand, I think it weights more that my 60D, telephoto lens and tripod together??? Sounds like a sear tripping electro

Also tried out a Nikon D800 (I think, the new Nikon super camera.... 36 MP?). Wasn't impressed by the button layout at all, in fact after a few minutes I gave up trying to use it. Not user friendly at all.

And finally, I seen a Sigma 200-500 2.8.... Awesome. $20000 lenses are cool. Looks like it could be used as an anti tank weapon.

Highly recommend the trip to BH Photo if your in NYC for a bit.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

That has to be one of my favorite stores to shop in haha, SO much there to play with. Where else can I try out an Red Epic, Arri Alexa, and a 10K HMI in 15 minutes lol
fullofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
I am jealous

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I'm boycotting B&H due to bad customer service so it's not a surprise to learn their in-store wasn't stellar. I'll stick with Adorama or KEH (gotta support local when I can).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll have to drop by when I pass through sometime. Sounds fun!

Feedback +25|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'm boycotting B&H due to bad customer service so it's not a surprise to learn their in-store wasn't stellar. I'll stick with Adorama or KEH (gotta support local when I can).
Really? When I contacted Adorama several months ago with questions about shipping to Canada their response was basically "We don't care, we're not checking for you, you're on your own and any issues as to services with shipping are between you and the carrier, and USPS can't ship to Canada." I now order basically everything through B&H because they do Purolator, so sane brokerage fees.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I think it's just a matter of customer-service roulette at all three stores. I've purchased a lot of equipment from all three and the service ranged from poor to excellent at all three.

Canon released a 6D? I need to crawl out from underneath my rock more often. Seriously, I had no idea there was a new camera line.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
it's not a new camera line just simply a camera that fits in between the 5D3 and the 7D in Canon's lineup.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyhoo33 View Post
I think it's just a matter of customer-service roulette at all three stores. I've purchased a lot of equipment from all three and the service ranged from poor to excellent at all three.

Canon released a 6D? I need to crawl out from underneath my rock more often. Seriously, I had no idea there was a new camera line.
Yeah, it's kinda like a cross between a 5D MK3, 5D Mk2 and a XXD series. About 2000 bucks. Nice overall, just came out in the last little bit (I think, I don't really care all that much about new products)
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

The 6D is more a fit between a 60D and the 5D, not between the 5D and 7D. Really nothing at all on it that makes it remotely related to what one would want a 7D for over something else in the line up.

The 7D is a high performance sports/action camera with core features around getting a lot of photos in focus where you want them in a short time... The 6D is a camera you go to when you want a new full frame portrait camera, but can't afford a 5DmkIII and want manufacturer warranty on your stuff still (so you skip a used 5DmkII).

Honestly I think one of its core marketing purposes is to get people to replace their cheaper EF-S glass they had on their XXD lines by convincing them that a full frame camera really is affordable.

As for stores to buy from? B&H wins only because they're the first I found that made ordering from the US easy enough for me. I would order from somewhere in Canada in a heartbeat if 9 out of 10 items wasn't 40% extra or more before tax. (I could do up to 20% more for a locally owned store, after that they have to have a lot more in the way of service to offer to justify the extra spending.)
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography