mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/photography/)
-   -   Old school photo thread (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/photography/221118-old-school-photo-thread.html)

Falcon16 12-14-2012 03:24 PM

Old school photo thread

Hey guys got to thinking and keep thinking we should have an old school photo thread. I'd say it can be either a film or a digital image with some guidelines. ISO speeds allowed are 100,200 or 400 so that everyone regardless of film or digital is on a level playing field. Must use a standard consumer lens (this means no L lenses or equivalent) and preferable a 50mm or other standard prime length. No post processing allowed though using in camera filters if you have digital is (so if you have a sepia or monochrome mode for example have at it) This just makes it so those shooting film can compete by having access to the same tools through glass filters. Lastly I'd say no pop up flashes allowed so we're all playing fair. either run a hot shoe flash like they did in the 35mm SLR days or don't run one at all. Lastly I'd say after you post your photo please post your settings as well.

Now before I'd get this thread started with a picture post I'd like everyone's thoughts as to whether there is interest in such a venture. I also propose this being competitive with a small prize for the winner which I can figure out (I'm thinking maybe a max of a $50 value). Vote would be in a separate thread by post number with a closing date say December 31st. Take as many pictures as you wish but please only submit 1 for the competition.

FINAL RULES AND CONTEST open in the contest thread. please pm me with which division you would like to be in so I can keep everyone straight

Kermit 12-14-2012 04:32 PM

Off to buy some film!

russc 12-14-2012 04:36 PM

I don't know about the lens rule...I don't think allowing all lenses would make that much of a difference to the point where we should worry about it.

Falcon16 12-14-2012 04:39 PM

That's true I was simply trying to level the playing field in terms of not everyone can afford L quality glass and when you're talking a competition where I'm stating no PP of any kind basically post straight out of the camera a lens being super sharp could make the winning difference that's why I'm trying to restrict it to consumer level glass only IE I wouldn't use my newly acquired 50 1.2 as it's basically equivalent to a 50 1.2L lens nor would I use my 70-200 F4L

mikeds80 12-14-2012 05:07 PM

I think you should allow PP and higher ISO. PP isn't a new thing by any means and you pretty much can't scan film without some kind of post work. Most digital cameras also require it. Your ISO limit also seems arbitrary given that almost any 400 speed film can be pushed to 800 without a problem. (cough cough I'd like to hand hold my mamiya cough cough :p)

It's a good idea though and I'm definitely game even if you keep your rules as is!

Falcon16 12-14-2012 05:15 PM

I'm trying to keep this as old school as possible. PP especially when that can make the difference between a 5/10 and a 8-9/10 photo seems to defeat the spirit of a competition. The reason I selected 400 speed as the upper ISO limit is that is what MOST people that were using 35mm SLR's back in the day used granted yes lots of people pushed it and I've done it too but I figure what I'm trying to do is to focus more on skills and technique and composition as opposed to a high dollar who has more PP tools/skills pissing match It also creates a level playing field between digital and film as almost every DSLR has WAY more ISO ranges than are available in film so I picked the 3 most common film speeds so everyone plays by the same rules on that one. Just trying to keep it simple. reason I also chose to if at all possible make it primes only is to do the same thing which is focus on composition and technique. That's the point of this thread is focusing on ok here's a ruleset let's see who's the best under this basically "stock class" definition of old school photography. If this is successful I may run another contest that would be a no holds barred go nuts type of thing but I figure start small first.

dgorman47 12-14-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon16 (Post 2562865)
The reason I selected 400 speed as the upper ISO limit is that is what MOST people that were using 35mm SLR's back in the day used granted yes lots of people pushed it and I've done it too but.....

When I shot black and white for the college newspaper back in the we had bulk black and white we would roll ourselves. Sure it was 400 iso but that because it was a nice middle point to push and pull into either direction. I regularly shot 3200 iso film back in the day. I think past 3200 iso you start pushing the boundries of 'old school' film. Thats why I tend to agree with Mike.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeds80 (Post 2562859)
I think you should allow PP and higher ISO. PP isn't a new thing by any means and you pretty much can't scan film without some kind of post work. Most digital cameras also require it. Your ISO limit also seems arbitrary given that almost any 400 speed film can be pushed to 800 without a problem. (cough cough I'd like to hand hold my mamiya cough cough :p)

It's a good idea though and I'm definitely game even if you keep your rules as is!

Exactly I often PP my digital images the way I used to in the film era.

Falcon16 12-14-2012 11:23 PM

Well I guess my issue is if I allow PP for film images how much PP do I allow and where does it end? IE is it simply cleaning up the noise, bumping contrast or exposure or what not etc. Once I open that pandoras box it'll be a run whatcha brung thing and that's not the spirit of my idea. I think if I'm going to do this and I'm willing to put up a prize I have to stick to my guns and my rules have to stand.

dgorman47 12-15-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon16 (Post 2563173)
Well I guess my issue is if I allow PP for film images how much PP do I allow and where does it end? IE is it simply cleaning up the noise, bumping contrast or exposure or what not etc. Once I open that pandoras box it'll be a run whatcha brung thing and that's not the spirit of my idea. I think if I'm going to do this and I'm willing to put up a prize I have to stick to my guns and my rules have to stand.

I think you could make it simpler but only allowing film. I'd be game for film only. The picture of the R7 in my avatar is an SOOC jpeg. My OMD can do HDR in camera and fit the rules you stated above.

Example this is a SOOC jpeg fro my camera:

http://doubledutch.smugmug.com/Trave...P7120204-L.jpg

Falcon16 12-15-2012 09:02 AM

I'll think on doing a film only competition at a later date I want a first competition of this nature to be as inclusive as possible. I'm thinking I'm going to stick to my guns on the rule set. an SOOC is essentially what I'm going for.