mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

just ordered my 7d

These next 5-7 days cannot go fast enough. I guess that's the only downside to free shipping...

Got a pretty good deal through Canon's loyalty program. Ended up paying 1100 and some change for a refurbished body.

This upgrade has been a long tune coming too. I'm still shooting with a 30d! Lol I love it but I feel so limited by iso barriers
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah, waiting sucks, but the 7D is worth it. I ordered the battery grip, spare battery, more memory cards, and a new bag recently, and it was just shipped today...

So now we play the waiting game...

And after this, I think I will start the waiting game while I save up the cash for a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 lens.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ah crap... I forgot about getting new memory. I don't think my little 2g cards are gonna cut it any more...
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
on the storage front If you head over to Amazon there is an adapter you can buy that allows you to run SD cards. Basically it's a CF shaped adapter and then the SD plugs into it. Yes yes I do understand CF is a better format and faster and yes I do have a 4 and 8GB CF but if you're doing a LOT of shooting SD cards are so much cheaper $/GB and they really are catching up in speed to the top level CF cards on the market.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I feel you!

I went from a 10D to a 7D, but shipping took 3 weeks. I LOVE my 7D, it's a great camera. I use mine as a tool and don't baby it at all, and it shows, but it's never skipped a beat. It really is a tank of a camera. I actually just used it earlier for some portraits and I was again amazed by the quality.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Don't forget to update your firmware on the 7D. I have yet to hear of someone getting a new 7D with the latest firmware.

As for the memory, personally I wouldn't jump at using SD cards in an adaptor. Alright as a stopgap measure if you have nothing else, but not exactly ideal. Their write speeds are still horribly slow when compared to modern CF cards, so you can have some issues clearing the buffer if you find yourself using it for longer bursts. But be warned that apparently the 7D doesn't actually benefit from UDMA 7 class cards. (It can work with them, but the hardware write speeds limit it to high end UDMA 6 levels. Only reason I have a few 7 cards is because there weren't any 6s in stock for the size I wanted at the time.)
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Don't forget to update your firmware on the 7D. I have yet to hear of someone getting a new 7D with the latest firmware.

As for the memory, personally I wouldn't jump at using SD cards in an adaptor. Alright as a stopgap measure if you have nothing else, but not exactly ideal. Their write speeds are still horribly slow when compared to modern CF cards, so you can have some issues clearing the buffer if you find yourself using it for longer bursts. But be warned that apparently the 7D doesn't actually benefit from UDMA 7 class cards. (It can work with them, but the hardware write speeds limit it to high end UDMA 6 levels. Only reason I have a few 7 cards is because there weren't any 6s in stock for the size I wanted at the time.)
The newest SD cards write pretty fast and to get a really fast CF card anymore, you're paying CRAZY prices! my D300 has a single CF slot that I use an adapter in with a 32GB SD card and it'll hold ~1500 pics. Never had an issue with speed, even when shooting in CH.

My D800 has two slots, one SD and one CF. I keep a standard CF card in that slot as a back up and use a 32GB card in the SD slot and it gets 399 pics. I have had speed issues, but I attribute that more to the fact that the images are 3 times that of my D300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
It really is a tank of a camera.

Yes it is!

You will love the 7D such a great camera
super fast and a huge array of AF points
the battery grip adds to it to make it a hefty tool.

also agree on the firmware update
Quote:
Buffer capacity increased from 15 to 25 RAW images
Top ISO extended from 3200 to 6400
Campatibility with Canon GPS GP-E2 receiver
In-Camera RAW image processing
Manual adjustment of audio levels in video, up to 64 levels
here is a review
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

The firmware update is awesome, I just finally got around to updating a few days back.

This is my go-to setup for 99% of all the shooting(which is a lot) I do for the company I work for. Never had a single issue!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

thats what my setup is gonna look like. well, minus the IS ability since most of what i do doesnt need stabilization and would actually be hurt by it.

dont worry, i wont be using sd cards. ill probably stick with 8 or 16g cards for now and buy a couple 32's later.

the camera is coming straight from Canon so i hope it has the firmware. i should probably check my 30d since i never have before... maybe i can breathe some more life into it...
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography