mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

New Flash

So I have been wanting a flash for my T2i because the on camera flash....well it is what it is.
Today I snagged a LN CAnon 430EX flash (the shoe was still in the wrapping) came with the cloth case and all, got it for 50.00

I felt like I got a good deal.....anyone use this flash before....I know the EXii's are better but I dont have anywhere near the cash/need for one.

Any tips / tricks / experience with this flash unit let me know!

Im just glad because the 50.00 was going to be used for a MUCH worse flash, i needed one in the next few weeks.
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I'd suggest just picking up a cheap set of radio triggers and experimenting that way. You can get a lot of cool shots with only one speedlight, lots of tutorials on YouTube as well.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

yea that might be down the road....have a new baby coming any day now (hence why i wanted a flash) and I didnt have alot of cash to spend so i was even looking at some knock off brands of flash - thats why im stoked to have snagged the 430EX for $50.00

I have been wanting to be able to "bounce" my flash because the on camera one tends to wash out some photos from being so front forward.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

If the ceiling is low and smooth enough, I usually angle the flash up and bounce it off the ceiling. That typically works really well if you want some soft light. If I'm shooting with a flash where I can't bounce off the ceiling for some reason, then I will either try and bounce off a wall, or use a softbox I made from cardboard and tissue paper

Congrats on the new addition as well!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

Thanks man! I am stoked on the addition to the fam and to the gear....so far this year i have gotten LR4, 50mm 1.8, and the Flash. And all in all the only cash im out of pocket is 50.00 and i sold my dremel to get that $.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I've used a softbox for a flash like that before and it greatly diminished the power output of the flash unit. However, I too used it for the birth of my son last March and it worked great in the little hospital room. They're like $10 from most photo sites.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have the 430ex ii and love it

check out CACTUS V5 triggers for OCF
they are $99 for the two of them and have a range of about 100' + for firing
nice little triggers
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

i got a set of the Cactu v4's (1 transmitter and 3 recievers) that they are awesome. super easy to use and if i remember correctly, i paid like 50 bucks for the set. talk about a great CL find!

any flash is better than the flash built in to your camera, and with what kermit said, you shuld be good to go. bouncing off the ceiling even if its not super smooth can really make the picture better. walls are great too.

just remember, if youre shooting down on something, angle the flash head back so it still hits the ceiling.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography