mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

New Camera

Just picked up a new camera today. A Canon EOS Elan II. I've been looking around for a film SLR for a while and this one seemed pretty fair priced, I paid $30 for it. Pretty excited, can't wait to start shooting with it!

Thought I'd share.

Josh
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

nice pick up!
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Really cool, I just did a bit of reading on it, 2.5 FPS ? Shockingly fast
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Really cool, I just did a bit of reading on it, 2.5 FPS ? Shockingly fast
haha, I honestly didn't even look into the specs that much. But hey, with film that'd still empty my wallet in a hurry!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
I shoot an Élan 7n on occasion, great family!

Rocking it for the Fringe Division!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fring...616810?fref=ts
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Just picked up an Elan 7E...kind of disappointed that it has the old firmware that doesn't allow metering with manual lenses.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Well mine broke after loading a roll of film.

Lovely. Taking it apart right now actually to try and fix it. The battery door wont latch.

Edit: The latch on the slide that holds the door closed snapped off apparently. I'll try making one from lexan or something later. For now, duct tape!

Last edited by Kermit; 02-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
If you want to have some fun shooting film, and get amazing results, pick up an Olympus Stylus Epic. It is a fixed lens clamshell camera. And can be found for around 25 bucks.

Rocking it for the Fringe Division!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fring...616810?fref=ts
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch View Post
If you want to have some fun shooting film, and get amazing results, pick up an Olympus Stylus Epic. It is a fixed lens clamshell camera. And can be found for around 25 bucks.
I passed up the first version of the stylus a few months ago for 5 dollars. I figured I didn't need another P&S but I should have just flipped it on ebay.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I just shot all weekend with a Stylus Epic and XA. They both have certain advantages and disadvantages, and are appropriate in different situations. They have fairly similar lenses, 35mm f2.8, with three and four blade apertures respectively.

The Stylus is great for quick photos shot from the hip, or reaching up and over to get interesting angles without having to guess focus. It can be kind of annoying when you forget to kill the flash, and a lack of exposure compensation or aperture control stifles creative decisions when those moments arise. It can also apparently do some great fill flash, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable controlling it yet. The auto winder is stupidly loud, which sucks considering how quiet the shutter is.

With the XA you lose auto-focus, but you gain aperture control, manual ISO in 1/3 steps for pushing/pulling/EV comp, and it's much, much quieter. It's as quiet as clicking your tongue with your mouth closed, and there isn't any auto winder. I was able to take photos of my friends in museums without tipping anyone off. I had some fun setting it to f/22 and doing self-timed long exposures of buildings and ceilings, which would have been automatically set to large aperture, fast shutter on the Stylus.

Build quality is better on the XA, but the metal body makes it 225 grams compared to the 135g of the Stylus. They are fairly similar in overall size otherwise. Both of them beat the pants off my tiny Pentax ME which runs 480g, so the weight difference really isn't that much of an issue to me, and they are both easily pocketable.

If I had to choose one, it would be the XA without any hesitation. It's a nicer piece of equipment that was made at a higher price point. It's slower to use, but generally more capable. It sounds like the closest camera that would combine my favorite elements would be a Ricoh GR1v, but those go for $600+.

Last edited by russc; 02-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography