mcarterbrown.com

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Water inside digital camera

Yesterday some water managed to leak inside my Panasonic TS20 through the SD card hatch. Didn't notice the water had enter till a half hour later when the "insert SD card again" message appeared on the display. The camera was still functional, but would not read the card.

When I got back I decided to use a vacuum to remove any moisture still inside the camera, but now he camera will not even turn on. Last night the "focus light?" would illuminate when I slid the battery in, but now nothing happens. I did leave it in a bag of rice overnight to help draw out any remaining moisture, but still noting powers up.

Any suggestions? I don't have time to send it in for warranty right now, just want it operational again til I get back home.

BTW, it's salt water so the internals will probably eventually succumb to rust/corrosion.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
WARNING:I Do Stupid $#!@

It sounds as though it might be fried..
Usually if electronics get wet they will shut off on their own.. its when someone tries to turn them on
before completly dry the problems start..

water gets between the circuts and acts as a short when still present..sometimes ya get lucky but most the repetitive trying gets the best of it and its killed for good ..

if you hadnt tried while still wet,then leftbin rice for a few days you may have been ok..

only real option is replace or factory repair
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I think it is time to play a dirge for your camera. My Olympus never survived a similar incident

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
The FIRST thing to do when any water is suspected of being in an electronic device is to REMOVE ALL POWER SOURCES.

Next up, open all access panels, ports etc and put the device in a warm airflow - not too hot to avoid distorting the plastic - and let it sit there for at least a day, preferably longer.

Water wasn't designed to get in easily and it won't be dried out easily either - don't rush the process. I'd give it a couple of days over a warm air register.

Airflow is important - a radiator has heat but not enough airflow, in my opinion.

Do all that before powering the device up again.
The bag of rice helps as well. Saved several cell phones with that.

Feedback

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 03-17-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: fixed my own typo
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for the responses, this is the first time I've ever got water into any electronics.

Now I regret playing around with it while still wet

As soon as I notice the card error I took the battery and card out for about an hour to dry, but them messed around with the camera a for a while when I got home.

I think the vacuum drew water into areas it hadn't been, since the camera went completely dead right after it.

Going to leave it in the rice bag for a another couple days, but I pretty sure it's shot.

Just disappointed that it broke in the middle of my vacation.

Here is a short video of a stingray I got before the camera when out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sZzwNTMPu4
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

BAG.

OF.

RICE.

Take it as apart as you can, then put it in a bag of dry rice for 1-3 days...should get all the moisture out of it.

I've rescued phones that went the entire cycle through the washing machine (found it on the bottom of the drum when i removed the last pair of paints) among other items. The key is patience and keeping it from any source of power till it is 100% dry.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unfortunately you may have a nice expensive looking brick... Sorry.

Cell phone boards aren't designed to completely resist water, they have very little water sealing but they don't have much air in them so the rice bag trick can work, sometimes. Camera's on the other hand are made to be very exposed inside, once water gets into the main case the ultra high capacity circuitry usually dies a slow and painful death. Card read errors, lens read errors are typically the first sign but most likely once you get those errors it's too late. It's a painful experience, my D70s went out like that, I was even using a rain bag but from taking my hands in and out it was enough to build up humidity and short out the non-sealed system.
You can try the rice bag trick but brace yourself for the worst, sorry.
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
BTW, it's salt water so the internals will probably eventually succumb to rust/corrosion.
Eventually? No, I guarantee if you tear it apart you already have rust and corrosion. I scuba dived once with a scuba rated camera. Worked great well into the dive, snapping lots of photos. Then it stopped working 3/4 the way through. We got back to the surface, and it was a just a pile of corrosion, everything was ruined. It was brand new, but in 45min, it was toast.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Salt water = Certain death.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Worse salt water+lipo batteries ticking time bomb. If your battery is lithium and got damp thrown it out now.
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography