mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

RAW & Jpeg backup Questions

Question, starting to organize and backup all my photos. I would like to save my RAW files but possibly JPEGS of the same files. For easy printing and what not. If i use light room to "Export as a Jpeg" is the RAW file then lost or just a JPEG created and the RAW left?
Anyone?

My wife likes (and i agree) the wide acceptance of Jpeg files for printing, and id like to make it easy for her to work around with the files while keeping the RAW incase.

I have LR4.3 and am basically looking for a way to import my photos into LR - Edit the ones I want and then Export them to a Disk in Jpeg form - Then backup the RAW files onto my external HD.
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
if you use export as JPEG it exports the file you're working on and any changes you've made to it as a JPEG. The original RAW file is untouched

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

I've not used Lightroom, but it should hold some similarities to aperture. You should have the option for "export master" if you have the master file set for raw as the default. It'll then export the masters to the desired location. Same process as export your work into jpeg format.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
What you're talking about is Digital Asset Management. There's some great info out there from Peter Krogh.

There is no reason to export JPGs to keep and if you're printing, you'll want to export them as TIFFs anyway. The great thing about Lightroom is that it's PIEware. Here's the way I manage my images which are over ten-thousand for my personal catalog and roughly three to four thousand for my school/ professional catalog. I keep them all in the catalog unless I need a JPG or Tiff for some reason. I even print from within Lightroom unless I've worked the file up in Photoshop, then I print from there.
  1. I import my images from disk and convert them to DNG and I also save a backup as the original extension (NEF for me since I shoot a Nikon). These are imported into a folder entitled "Landing Zone."
  2. Once I verify that all of the images were properly imported from my card to my HDD (I use an external rugged LaCie) I move the images from "Landing Zone" to "Rate and Adjust."
  3. In "Rate and Adjust" I do just that. I give the ones I like stars (1-5) based on the image and add keywords to aid in retrieving images later on. I also do any color correction, cropping, etc in this folder.
  4. Once that is done and I'm happy with the image, I move them to a third folder, "Transfer Me." Here they are stored in "buckets" labeled DVDDNG_000X where "X" equals the sequential number of the DVD in use. Each "bucket" is only as large as an Archival DVD (I prefer Gold Verbatim) which is roughly 4.3GB. Once a bucket is full, I burn that folder to a DVD, label it and store it. Archival grade DVDs are necessary for that.
  5. Once the DVD is burned, I move that file out of "Transfer Me" and into "Image Vault." The images will live the rest of their life here. Also, once the images have been burned to Disk, you can delete the folder containing the copies of the original images (NEFs for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

i just picked up a 32 gig sd card for 27 bucks

IMHO dvd storage is too fragile
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post
i just picked up a 32 gig sd card for 27 bucks

IMHO dvd storage is too fragile
That's why I say archival. The gold archival DVDs are made to last for YEARS. They won't break down like regular DVDs do. And they're made to be archived, not handled daily.

Quote:
Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

i will ask Peter when i see him this June if he is still burning dvds
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

I got a pack of DVDs at Costco today - 4.7 gig avail on each disk and I got a 100 pack for 23.99 - gong to back up on disks to store in a safety deposit box (family pics) then store them all again on a 1TB HD at home - I showed my wife it's easy to pull photos back into LR to make jpeg files if needed. It's all a learning process and will all get easier the more I do it. The problem is I was saving files in LR alot rather than saving to my HD then just using LR for editing. So I had over 1000 random pics all around my LR files, like I said all a learning process
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
boo
Banned

I hate lightroom for library management. When I had my d90 I'd use the capture as jpg and raw option and use Adobe bridge. So much better workflow then lightroom. For when I was post processing other ****ty photographers images bridge made it a lot easier to pop into photoshop to break out the big guns.

Also bridge works more on a folder to folder file manager level rather then a library level so it didn't change around where it saved edits.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I hate lightroom for library management. When I had my d90 I'd use the capture as jpg and raw option and use Adobe bridge. So much better workflow then lightroom. For when I was post processing other ****ty photographers images bridge made it a lot easier to pop into photoshop to break out the big guns.

Also bridge works more on a folder to folder file manager level rather then a library level so it didn't change around where it saved edits.
I used to do the same thing until I took a class on DAM. Now I can't imagine doing it any other way. I will say that Lightroom is not very intuitive but once you learn it, it's an amazing, and powerful, software. I do 90% of my editing in lightroom now with any major edits done in Photoshop. I can right click in LR and choose to edit in Photoshop.

I could go on and on about the benefits of lightroom, but that would take awhile.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography