mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

Question for you all....

So next weekend I have been asked to photograph my grandfathers celebration of life, the event is indoor/outdoor and will be around 4hrs long.

My question is I know that shooting in RAW allows for more PP work , but I will be shooting, sorting, editing, saving/re-saving a lot of pictures and some for people without the ability to change RAW/view them, so I will be changing them all into Jpegs when they are ready for shipping. So my MAIN question is should I shoot the majority of pics in L-Jpeg format and then if i feel the need to shoot some very special ones in RAW do so and then convert later? I have a few 16GB SD cards I will be taking and I can get a noticeably bigger amount of jpegs (obviously) over RAW and would rather have the wiggle room, there is a military flag folding at the end...

So let me know what you think, all PP work will be done in LR4.3

Also I have some awesome friends and family and will have 2 t2.i bodies, a variety of lenses from my 18-55, 28-90 USM, 50 1.8, 50 1.4, 70-300(sigma), 200 2.8 Prime canon, 10-22 and possibly a 70-200 Canon (not sure of 2.8/4)

So I feel I will have a wide range of glass to shoot with
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I would shoot everything in RAW. Exporting is very easy in Lightroom and having them as RAW files will give you more control over them now and in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Just shoot everything in raw.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
I am going to have agree with the two posters above me.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If you are going to be post processing the majority of your shots then yes, use raw.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

That's the thing, some-most might have some pp work done and some might not. I think ill shoot Raw on one body/sd card and maybe jpeg on the other.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

There are only two times I will consider shooting jpeg worth it.

1. When I am playing with photography during a time when I can set everything up carefully and wish to take massively long bursts with my 7D. (Which I rarely do and is merely something to play with)

2. When I am travelling and know that I will want to review a large amount of photos on my tablet. (Such as travelling on a bus to shoot a sports game, and take the time to cull on the trip back. And this is only a software limitation on my tablet, as I have not yet found a viewer that works reliably and is stable with RAW. Easier to just pull the small Jpegs that are easy for the system to work with)

Other than that, it is RAW, imported to Lightroom, reviewed, culled, sorted, edited if needed, and exported to where and which format is needed. I like to be making the choices on how things are processed, and presets can make the work flow beautifully smooth and easy.

Good luck with your project.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Luckless makes some good points and another thing to consider is that someone may want prints from from these. Better to shoot in RAW so you can export to TIFF for printing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

Is TIFF better than Jpeg for prints? I'm still learning as I go as far as printing goes
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

"JPEG files achieve a smaller file size by compressing the image in a way that retains detail which matters most, while discarding details deemed to be less visually impactful."

"JPEG stands for "Joint Photographic Expert Group" and, as its name suggests, was specifically developed for storing photographic images."

my understanding is that in a JPEG pixels that are similar get the same value. As far as whats better for printing it depends on the size of the print and what you want from that print, generally TIFF would be better for prints IMO.

jpeg & TIFF: Image Types: JPEG & TIFF File Formats

- Only save an image using a lossy compression(jpeg) once all other image editing has been completed, since many image manipulations can amplify compression artifacts.

- Avoid compressing a file multiple times, since compression artifacts may accumulate and progressively degrade the image.

RAW format: Tutorials – The RAW File Format

- One problem with the RAW file format is that it is not very standardized. Each camera has their own proprietary RAW file format, and so one program may not be able to read all formats.

- Adobe has announced a digital negative (DNG) specification which aims to standardize the RAW file format.

also

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ra-sensors.htm

Last edited by Rymzor; 03-26-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Rymzor is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography