mcarterbrown.com

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Paintball Photography

I am thinking about trying my hand at paintball photography, but I had a couple questions from those who have done it before.

First, what I already have:
Nikon D3100
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (Kit lens)
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Bright orange vest (for identification as media)

So what I want to know is this:
1. What would you recommend in terms of protection for the camera body.
2. Which lens would you recommend (of those three), or if one of those won't work what lens would you recommend purchasing (cheaper is better)
3. What size memory card would you recommend if I was going to spend an entire day taking pictures (shooting in RAW)
4. Tips/tricks/suggestions/warnings as well as do's and don'ts

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
I recommend the 55-200. You will need the reach. I also recommend sweat bands around your lens. Personally never used anything for my body that is up to you.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Not familiar with the Nikkor lens line up so I don't know the details on your lenses, but the 55-200mm is likely your best bet for most shots. Ideally I would want to shoot with something extending out to at least the 300mm range on a crop, as I found that even the 200 often fell very short last year.

Can't find the buffer size on that body, but apparently you have 3fps, so I'm guessing it isn't huge. Be prepared to be very careful with your shot timing, or you will quickly get frustrated when you run into a full buffer and it stops taking photos. (I kept trying to take photos while players were breaking out to dive into the snake, and usually would have the camera stall just as they were full into their dive. This year I have a 7D, so I no longer run into stall when shooting sports.)

If your lenses don't have some form of ultrasonic focus drive, then I strongly suggest making that feature a priority for the next lens you buy. Sadly, good glass is not cheap. (Even some of the 'cheap' glass is still annoyingly expensive.)

Keep your head up and watch what is going on. Don't get sucked into tunnel vision focusing on one player, as that is a great way to totally miss someone on the far side of the field shooting across in your general direction.

As for cards, as many higher speed cards as you can bring along. Keep spares in cases, and make it obvious which ones are 'used'. Better to switch out a half full card between games than find you get a 'card full' error in the last few seconds of a close game. (Plus, SD cards are cheap. Quality CF cards hurt the wallet.)
Luckless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Can't find the buffer size on that body, but apparently you have 3fps, so I'm guessing it isn't huge. Be prepared to be very careful with your shot timing, or you will quickly get frustrated when you run into a full buffer and it stops taking photos. (I kept trying to take photos while players were breaking out to dive into the snake, and usually would have the camera stall just as they were full into their dive. This year I have a 7D, so I no longer run into stall when shooting sports.)
I believe the buffer size is 13-16 frames, something like that.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

13-16 for raw files? That is impressive, and I wouldn't have guessed that.

Also remember to double check your camera is in its continuous tracking mode for the focus. (AI Servo on Canons, but I think Nikon calls it something different.) Really sucks to come back and find you've been shooting in oneshot focus for part of the day.

If you haven't tried it already, I suggest giving back button focus a shot, assuming the body supports it. A lot of shooters find it more comfortable to shoot with and hold focus instead of half pressing the shutter, and it ties in very well with AI Servo focus. (Enables basically one-shot and AI-S at the same time. Just release the focus button and it won't refocus when you take the next photo)

Don't know what style mask you wear, but I personally find that a single curve lens in the mask is a little easier to use than a bi-curve/bubble mask. You're not going to get a great view through the eye piece, and when I first started shooting with a mask on I found it extremely easy to get totally lost as far as my sight through the view finder went. The vertical lens in my older VForce Vantage made it a little easier to keep alignment than the double curve of my Grills.

Don't know how others normally shoot, but personally I got into the habit of shooting with both eyes open, and aiming almost as much with my left eye down the barrel of the lens as I did with my right eye through the view finder. I keep the framing sloppy and crop in post.

Also, now I really wish I was getting out to the field here soon, but sadly it looks like I'm doing landscaping around the house tomorrow. I haven't shot paintball with my 7D yet.
Luckless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
I would no doubt go with the long lens, unless you know and trust the players it's nice to have some distance.

You should try shooting with your MX
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

I'm shooting some paintball on the 25th - I have my homemade DSLR Shield for my body/lens to protect it all. Look at my thread on DIY Weather Shield.

As for my lenses I have a close set up to you and I will most likely be using my Sigma 70-300 lense most the day. Use the 50 1.8 for off field profile pics of players
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to grande

1. What would you recommend in terms of protection for the camera body.
- camera bodies dont really break that easy, they just get dirty and paint finds it's way everywhere, sand is also nasty nasty stuff. I run around with one of these Hydrophobia 70-200 Rain Cover - Think Tank, do you absolutely need one? No. Does it keep your camera equipment cleaner? Yes.

2. Which lens would you recommend (of those three), or if one of those won't work what lens would you recommend purchasing (cheaper is better)
-Cheaper isn't better. If you want to do it for ****s and giggles then get whatever is in your budgets high end. If you want to be serious about it and get a lens that you'll love through life get the nikkor 70-200 2.8 with VR. 70-200 is THE paintball lens for most pb photogs, everyone I know has one. For low light situations youre going to want the largest aperture lens possible, 70-200 2.8 does the job.

The nifty fifty is a great lens and you will get one eventually if you continnue photographing, but would I use it for paintball? Nope. Kit lens is....well, I gave mine away for free. I started using a 1.4 extender on my 70-200 to get extra reach, 50 just wont do or you limit yourself a whole lot.

3. What size memory card would you recommend if I was going to spend an entire day taking pictures (shooting in RAW)
-Get a couple of cards, just in case. Lets say youre shooting out all weekend in blistering heat, rain, muck and getting shot to pieces. Event is finally over and when you come home you plug in your memory card reader to your computer and get corrupted card message, it's a heartbreaker for anyone but if you shot on multiple cards you just lose some of the images, not all of them. I know it's unlikely to happen but I like to play it safe. Also goes with losing memorycards.

4. Tips/tricks/suggestions/warnings as well as do's and don'ts
-Shoot lots. Carry your camera with you all the time. Get familiar with your camera, never use auto mode. Save up for the 70-200. Shoot lots.

Last edited by grande; 05-06-2013 at 03:57 AM.
grande is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography