mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Photoshoot Tips

So I have been asked to do a mini photoshoot for my friends prom, as well as some random person messaging my photography page on facebook (shameless plug) asking if I would take some pictures of her for her modelling portfolio.

I have no issue with doing either, but as the only organized photoshoots I have participated in up until now weren't exactly this kind of photography, and also weren't just me as the photographer (I have usually worked with 2 other photographers), I am looking for some tips.

Any suggestions you have for either of these would be much appreciated.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Working with a model is pretty simple. They do their thing(hopefully) and you just shoot. It's usually pretty smooth and seamless once you get rolling and the model warms up to you.

When you get to work with a person just wanting a portrait, you have to direct the poses and what not more than if you are working with a model. For a formal portrait, especially for a prom, make sure to get a full body shot in there.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Working with a model is pretty simple. They do their thing(hopefully) and you just shoot. It's usually pretty smooth and seamless once you get rolling and the model warms up to you.

When you get to work with a person just wanting a portrait, you have to direct the poses and what not more than if you are working with a model. For a formal portrait, especially for a prom, make sure to get a full body shot in there.
Pretty much this. For prom shoots you have to direct people in how to pose properly etc. I find with models that know what they are doing especially if they are asking for a portfolio shoot they already have a good idea of what poses make them look good. So I'd disagree with you on that one Josh. All said and done though the prom shoot will probably be the more difficult of the 2.

At least with a model you've got backdrops and extra lighting and such where as a prom shoot is usually either indoors in lighting you can't control or outdoors and you can't control the sun. Full body shots for both are pretty much a must though. For prom portraits you want to get everything in focus but blur the background so taking a few steps back and opening up your lens can be a big help. When I've shot prom/formal photos I normally use my 70-210 F4 wide open at the narrow end and step back a bit. Once it's at 135 or longer I stop down to f8 and I find I can get sharp shots all the way through

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan

One of the pictures from the prom shoot. Thoughts?

MY FEEDBACK
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I like it nice shot, a tighter crop on the sides would look better IMO and the sky being blown out makes it distracting, do you have any photos where the sky isn't blown out? you could stack this photo on top of it and blend the exposures which might give you a more pleasing result.

Last edited by Rymzor; 05-30-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Rymzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
I do have a couple, or I could just turn down the sky some more (I use lightroom), but I had actually liked the contrast that gives as well as the glow around their heads.

Anyways...here's the rest of the album:
Nikolaus Bonnay Photography (Prom - Olli and Sierra)

MY FEEDBACK
Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
G.O.A.T

Use the heal/clone tool to get rid of zits and blemishes that cause the picture to look less attractive. At least usually i do especially when they are paid for portraits.

I use LR4 as well and have used the "highlights" to kind of dim out the brightness of the sky, is that the correct way? Client seemed pleases, it dulled out the white blown-out sky and brought out the blue/clouds a lot more

As always - Shoot a ton!
madasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by madasax View Post

I use LR4 as well and have used the "highlights" to kind of dim out the brightness of the sky,
The brush and highlights is a great combo.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography