mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
RAW vs JPEG - Visual Guide

I thought you gents might find this interesting -> RAW vs JPEG (JPG) The Ultimate Visual Guide. It's a pretty comprehensive article on the benefits of both formats.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Not the first time I've read this, but it's still worth reading. It definitely gives some good examples of when to use the two formats.

Personally, I didn't really "get" it until I realized that a JPG is an image file, while a RAW is a data file. So, if you shoot in JPG, your post-processing options are much more limited and there's little you can do to actually improve the quality of the image. Sure, you can crop to get better composition and throw some color correction in there, but beyond that, you're kind of SOL. Since the RAW file contains all of the data that makes up the image, you have much finer control over things like sharpness, saturation, white balance, etc.

Granted, you need to know how to use that control (I'm learning...slowly), so just shooting in RAW won't instantly improve your photos (kind of the way that just playing with a pump or stock class gun won't instantly improve your game), but it will enable you to make the most out of your photos in the long run.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I can't see any reason to JUST shoot JPGs. If you want that instant picture to show people, shoot RAW + JPG, but always shoot RAW. JPG is a lossy file type and every time you open it and then save it, it compresses more. RAW files are non-destructive, meaning no matter how many times you edit, that information is kept in a side-car file and it can always be reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cannon fodder

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I can't see any reason to JUST shoot JPGs. If you want that instant picture to show people, shoot RAW + JPG, but always shoot RAW.
That's basically the only reason why I still shoot in JPGs. I shoot a lot of fundraisers and special events and the organizations I work with usually don't have the software or know-how on how to convert the files or are looking to post the photos instantly.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
That's where a RAW + JPG comes in handy. The JPG is great for them right then but the RAW is nice if they ever come back and say, "hey, remember those pics, can you do ... To them". Media is cheap so shoot a bunch!

Quote:
Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Yeah, it's nice to shoot dual formats when you are at an event and don't have time to do anything except delete images. With a dual-card camera you can pull the jpeg card from the camera, whip through in Lightroom and delete down to a reasonable number, (run any preset adjustments), and go live to slideshow on your laptop.

The RAW card gets saved for later and more careful work...
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. PhunkyPants View Post
Yeah, it's nice to shoot dual formats when you are at an event and don't have time to do anything except delete images. With a dual-card camera you can pull the jpeg card from the camera, whip through in Lightroom and delete down to a reasonable number, (run any preset adjustments), and go live to slideshow on your laptop.

The RAW card gets saved for later and more careful work...
This is very handy. I typically shoot only RAW w/ my second card as a backup. If I were to shoot where I wanted the JPGs immediately, I'd shoot them to my second card.

Another time it's handy to shoot both RAW and JPG is when you're shooting to B&W. A RAW won't import as a B&W but a JPG will, so that makes it even quicker.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
I can't see any reason to JUST shoot JPGs. If you want that instant picture to show people, shoot RAW + JPG, but always shoot RAW. JPG is a lossy file type and every time you open it and then save it, it compresses more. RAW files are non-destructive, meaning no matter how many times you edit, that information is kept in a side-car file and it can always be reset.
Yep, I always shoot RAW+JPG. Makes my life much easier.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
That's where a RAW + JPG comes in handy. The JPG is great for them right then but the RAW is nice if they ever come back and say, "hey, remember those pics, can you do ... To them". Media is cheap so shoot a bunch!
This^^ I've got two 64GB cards, so running out of space is not really a concern for me

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography