mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/photography/)
-   -   Advice on Rebel T3i fisheye lens (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/photography/235583-advice-rebel-t3i-fisheye-lens.html)

DoC19K 06-14-2013 02:48 PM

Advice on Rebel T3i fisheye lens

As the title says I am looking for a Fisheye lens for my Canon Rebel T3i lens and wanting one to get a shot or two of M1 Abrams tank from the front. I see numerous brands ranging from 250 and higher, any advice would be helpful. I wouldn't be oppose if one said a good fisheye lens would be 350, I just want a quality lens that won't crap out on me. Thanks for your help.

Luckless 06-14-2013 03:12 PM

Questions:

Why do you want to buy a fisheye for the one shot? What else will you use it for? One of the most common complaints I see from owners of Fisheye lenses is that they never use the bloody thing.

Have you considered alternatives to using a special lens and getting the image in one show, over a software alternative by way of stitching? (Use a decent telephoto, such as 85mm+ on a crop, carefully stand in one place, shoot manual mode, and take enough overlapping photos that you can merge them in post)

DoC19K 06-14-2013 03:27 PM

For one shot I can see your point but having options as opposed to taking regular pictures all the time. I would it get it for scenic pictures as I live in Georgia travel around the area and there are plenty of places around here and offer good pictures or the chance of a good picture. I have thought of software options but I am not a fan of software options to get the picture I want. Editing sure, but to make a picture I rather get the picture via a lens and camera and edit to final version. I get bored with my camera and think of "what else can I do?" with my camera so taking pictures through a fisheye is one of these options.

madasax 06-14-2013 03:37 PM

The EFS 10-22 is an awesome wide angle

Arson24 06-14-2013 04:05 PM

10-22mm is amazing tried one the other day at bestbuy.

I'm not sure if you have really looked into them but
on the cheaper side is the lens baby lenses
SLR Camera Lenses for Nikon, Canon and more | Lensbaby Lenses
they have a couple inserts that will allow fish eye look
plus it will solve the issue luckless brought up of having a lens for only a couple of shots

I have the composer pro double glass....I really don't use it that often
but cool concept, no actual aperture you need to place rings down to act as one
and you move the lens around until you find the focal point you want.

Rymzor 06-14-2013 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have this but with a nikon mount, Amazon.com: Rokinon FE8M-C 8mm F3.5 Fisheye Lens for Canon - Black: ROKINON: Camera & Photo its a great lens as far as i am concerned.

its an all manual lens so it wont talk to your camera at all.

this isnt the best image to show what the lens is capable of, there are many better examples out there
Attachment 39605

Lead-Foot 06-15-2013 05:45 AM

couldn't you just do fish eye with software?

Luckless 06-15-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lead-Foot (Post 2734271)
couldn't you just do fish eye with software?

You can, and you can't. It really depends on the shot you are getting.

A proper fisheye will be your only option if you are trying to get something that needs to be captured in a single 1/1000th of a second exposure. (Think guy on motorcycle hitting a jump and capturing it from the near foreground) For very static shots you can get away with faking it in post from lots of photos stitched together, but there is always the risk that you botched something, or the lighting changes, and it is generally just harder to work with.

If you have the spare cash, I say buy a decent quality one with good reviews for corner sharpness (Honestly I would argue that your corners on the ultra wide angle are almost more important than your center) and play with it for awhile. If you find you don't actually use it much, then you can always sell it.

Sadly I'm headed in the other direction, and saving money for good fast telephoto glass. Which makes the wallet cry... :(

sparky 06-15-2013 03:57 PM

I use the cheap, shockingly decent 8 mm Rokinon for my fisheye needs. Pretty good IQ, nice quality, and really easy to focus (I don't bother LOL) as its such a small aperture on the lens.

I'd admit though, I don't really use it that much, maybe a few images a month at best. Very hard to find a purpose for it at times, but its nice if you already have your more standard lenses. Its the absolutely the last lens I carry around.

Edit: To go with what others say, look for a good ultra wide inside. You'll use it 10 times what you would use with a fisheye, and can get some pretty interesting effects with it as well. Or rent a fisheye for your shot.

DoC19K 06-18-2013 11:30 PM

Good advice in this thread. Thanks for the advice. :) Now to see how much money I can spare on a ultra wide....if it makes my wallet cry so be it at least its not bad.