mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

Which Sony NEX camera?

I'd like to replace my Panasonic GF1 using adapted Canon FD lenses with a Sony NEX camera. I don't mind using an older model, but there seem to be a ton of different models out there I can't figure out where to begin. I'd prefer to keep costs to around $300 or less.

I'm looking for opinions on which version of the NEX is the best value in that price range, and what features to look out for between models. Thanks!
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

At that price point, there aren't many models, even used.

NEX-3 (1st Gen, plastic-bodied entry level model, 14MP Sensor, 720P video)
NEX-5 (1st Gen, Mag alloy body, 14MP, 1080i video)
NEX-C3 (2nd Gen, metal/plastic body, 16MP Sensor, 720P video)
NEX-F3 (3rd Gen, plastic body, 16MP Sensor, 1080P24 video, non-removable battery).

I wouldn't consider the first gen models as there have been all-around improvements in the cameras, in terms of image processing, interface, etc.

In my opinion, I'd pick the C3 over the F3 only because of the removable battery.

If you can find a NEX-5N in your price range (most likely used), I'd jump on it (I have one myself and I like it).

As for using other lenses, if you didn't know already- the NEX cameras rely on optical image stabilization provided by the NEX lenses, if you use another brand, you will have no image stabilization. Additionally, you may also lose autofocus and auto aperture as well (with most adapters).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Thanks for the advice. I think the C3 and the 5N are the best bets. I really don't like the idea of not having a removable battery.

I understand the situation with using other lenses, it's the same on my Panny where image stabilization is in the lens. The lenses I'm using are manual focus anyway and I set the aperture through the lens as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Though one thing I forgot about is having a hot shoe. My current wireless flash setup requires one of those. But the camera does have the focus peaking mode that would be handy for my manual focus lenses.

Last edited by Hobbes; 07-31-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

None of these models have an actual hot shoe. They have the 'Sony interface' which can take Sony NEX accessories (flashes, microphones, external viewfinder, etc). There are mods out there that allow you to use it like a hotshoe for triggering but, no serious flash can be run off it (doesn't put out enough power).

The Sony NEX 7 has an actual hot shoe (and other desirable features) but, costs a lot more.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
chuff chuff

I ended up with a NEX-3NL. Not the feature list I wanted and there's no accessory port, but the price I got was really good and should hold me over until I can get an NEX-6.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very nice!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography