mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not one of the cool kids

Hooligan needs camera help. Nikon questions inside.

Let me start off by saying that I know little to nothing about photography. I have always been happy using my olympus stylus cameras. This is about a new camera for my wife as a Christmas present.
A few years back, I bought her a nice d60 package for Christmas. She has used the crap out of it and is ready for something new. I have been looking at the d5100's. Here is where the questions start. Is it a decent camera and is it better than the d60? Will it take the lenses she already has?

Her d60 works fine still, but she is trying to take better quality pictures. She started a weekend photography business and it has really taken off for her. Her website is poetryinpictures.net. Feel free to check out her website and let me know what yall think about her pictures.

I'll ask her tonight exactly what she is looking for in a new camera, but I'm pretty sure she wants a higher mp/ resolution.

Thank you so much for any help you can give. My local camera shops are kinda sad. The one downtown is stuck in 1973 and the other one changes ownership every year. I bought Lina's d60 there and I really don't ever want to give them money again. Advice from them always starts with " How much do you have to spend?"
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Let me start off by saying that I know little to nothing about photography. I have always been happy using my olympus stylus cameras. This is about a new camera for my wife as a Christmas present.
A few years back, I bought her a nice d60 package for Christmas. She has used the crap out of it and is ready for something new. I have been looking at the d5100's. Here is where the questions start. Is it a decent camera and is it better than the d60? Will it take the lenses she already has?

The D5100 (they just announced/ released the D5300) is a decent camera and miles beyond the D60 which was never a great camera as far as Nikons go. It will accept the same lenses and because they're both DX sensor cameras there's no conversion factor between bodies. IIRC, the D60 has no internal focus motor so AF-S lenses are needed unless you want to focus manually. This is kind of a bummer for older, film lenses and you still have to account for the 1.5 crop on those anyway. The 3000 and 5000 are still consumer DSLRs.

Her d60 works fine still, but she is trying to take better quality pictures. She started a weekend photography business and it has really taken off for her. Her website is poetryinpictures.net. Feel free to check out her website and let me know what yall think about her pictures.

The camera is a tool. More can be done with the correct composition and lighting than a better camera but just like a mechanic, you want the best tools. As she continues to learn and grow, she'll realize the limitations the D60 has. Is she shooting RAW?

I'll ask her tonight exactly what she is looking for in a new camera, but I'm pretty sure she wants a higher mp/ resolution.

Thank you so much for any help you can give. My local camera shops are kinda sad. The one downtown is stuck in 1973 and the other one changes ownership every year. I bought Lina's d60 there and I really don't ever want to give them money again. Advice from them always starts with " How much do you have to spend?"

I buy 98% of my gear from Adorama but you can also check B&H. A dcent place for used gear is KEH.
Answers above in Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
The d5100 is a fairly common model. I'm sure you can find one well below the prices of adorama and b&h. (Not slamming neither sites, have purchased from both sites and can confirm both sites provide great customer service.) There are a few floating around mcb if you're interested.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography