mcarterbrown.com

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Cannon 55mm f.14 vs the 1.8

Last year I brok down and upgraddded from point and shoot to a cannon T3. I have no idea how I used the PS for so long the cannon is so much nicer. It cam with an 18-55 lens that has done good for the year Ive been using it however I would like somethign that willl capture pictures of my kids better. Its safe to say that I am very new to photography and still have a much to learn, but I have decided to pick up a new lense. I am looking at the cannon 55mm f1.4 and f1.8. I know that I will most likely have this gear for a long time so spending the 200 extra isnt out of the question however, is the 1.4 THAT much better than the 1.8? If I'm going to have a 55mm lense I would rather not buy the 1.8 and decide a year later I should have gotten the 1.4.
Art Of Pump

Next up:
SPE 2014
Wallify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to sparky Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Spelt Canon not cannon LOL. It's also a 50 mm not 55 mm

Unless you intend to get serious into photography, the 50 mm 1.8 will be totally fine for your purpose. There is a difference for sure, but I won't sweat too much about it.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The optical difference is very tiny between the 1.8 vs the 1.4. Honestly you're not going to take either down to wide open very often if at all. The depth of field is so narrow on both lenses wide open that unless you are standing very far away your subject won't be totally in focus. I personally bought the 1.8 as my first non kit lens. For the price difference the 1.4 is not worth it. For the extra $200 difference you could get yourself a 40mm 2.8 STM lens which is one of Canon's best non L lenses. If you do a search on here for 40mm STM review I did a review back the beginning of last year and you should see the kind of quality it puts out it's absolutely amazing for the money.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

I've owned copies of both and unless you start pixel peeping and spend countless hours convincing yourself the 1.4 is better because its more expensive, your better off spending the time enjoying the 1.8.

If you want to spend some money,do what falcon mentioned and buy the 40. I wouldn't necessarily call it a replacement for a 50, but its close and images made with this lens are fantastic.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
ton up boy

The 1.4 is easily that much better, I really liked the build quality and feel of it. The 1.8 feels like crap.

But still you should get the 1.8 first, to see if you feel comfortable with prime lenses.
You usually get most your money back when selling it used.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I used a 50 f1.8 for over a year without a single problem. I dropped it, it broke, and I got the 50 f1.4. Honestly, the difference optically is so slight that you won't notice it until you zoom in really far on a computer.

The only big factor is build quality. The 50 f1.8 isn't called the "fantastic plastic" or the "Thrifty Fifty" for no reason. It's really, really plasticky and the focus ring feels like it has sand inside it. The f1.4 is much better in terms of build.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Honestly, the difference optically is so slight that you won't notice it until you zoom in really far on a computer.

The only big factor is build quality. The 50 f1.8 isn't called the "fantastic plastic" or the "Thrifty Fifty" for no reason. It's really, really plasticky and the focus ring feels like it has sand inside it. The f1.4 is much better in terms of build.
I'll agree with you there. The build quality of the 1.8 is nothing to write home about but it is optically quite good for the low price you pay. Is the 1.4 worth the extra $200-250 dollars? If you're looking for far better build quality maybe if you're looking at sheer optics I'd say no. Not to mention if the OP is not used to prime lenses the 1.8 is a great way to see if a 50mm prime will fit his uses. Like I said for the $200 price difference between the 1.8 and the 1.4 I'd buy a 1.8 and a 40 2.8 and have money left over. when I really really need shallow DOF for portrait work I find backing up and shooting around F2.8-F4 really makes for a nice bokeh while getting the subject in focus and 2.8-4 is where the 50mm 1.8 really shines.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Focus speed and noise on the canon 50mm f/1.8 also left a lot to be desired. Personally I have no plans to ever use anything but USM style auto focus drives again.

The 40mm f/2.8 is nice, but is still fairly slow to focus if trying to do action shots. Better than the 50mm f/1.8's focus speeds, but still has more trouble fast tracking than my 85 f/1.8 or 28 f/1.8 lenses.

Good luck, have fun, and most importantly take your time.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
if you're rich or do it for buisness (1.4) If you do it in your free time (1.8)

oh and a side note, DO NOT get rid of the 18-55 like I did. I picked up a 35mm 1.8 thinking 35mm would be wide enough, huge mistake, now I need to buy something with a wider zoom again.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.

Last edited by JLuke; 01-06-2014 at 11:48 AM.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I went with a 1.4, not because of the difference between 1.4 and 1.8 but between the sharpness at 2.8 and 5.6 between the two lenses. I had a 1.8 and got a 1.4. My 50mm 1.4 (though it is a Nikon) is one of the sharpest lenses I have. I've given up super high end zoom lenses for sharpness because that's what is more important to me. I would rather have a super sharp lens that makes me get closer than a soft lens I use from a few feet further away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography