mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymzor View Post
Personally id pick up a refurbished Nikon d200 its a "prosumer" body with weather seals, focus motor, all the controls on you need on the body, and has 10 megapixels CCD. The battery life and the high ISO performance are really the only downsides of the D200 when compared to say the D7000. then again it came out in 2005, and the money you could save on the d200 body could go towards lenses
This is a great recommendation actually. I have a D300 has a backup and it's a great camera the differences between it and the D200 aren't things you would notice for what you're wanting to do. Also, it has an internal focus motor so you can use older lenses as well. The only downside I can possibly foresee for what you're wanting to do is that fact that it has no "Auto" setting so you would need to learn to shoot in Aperture on Shutter Priority. Or go balls to the wall and shoot straight manual.

Another place to check for good prices on used gear is KEH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
This is a great recommendation actually. I have a D300 has a backup and it's a great camera the differences between it and the D200 aren't things you would notice for what you're wanting to do. Also, it has an internal focus motor so you can use older lenses as well. The only downside I can possibly foresee for what you're wanting to do is that fact that it has no "Auto" setting so you would need to learn to shoot in Aperture on Shutter Priority. Or go balls to the wall and shoot straight manual.

Another place to check for good prices on used gear is KEH.
Just to expand on the information chopper duke has given

There is no auto mode on the d200 but there is a P (program) mode that uses the cameras meter to set the shutter speed, and aperture for you.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
I'm going to be another one to recommend nikon, because of the lens compatibility, there is a large history of lenses that while they may not autofocus they will work on the body. The d200 is a great recommendation and if you can get one for the 200-300$ range thats fantastic. You can pick up that and then a nifty 50 for way under your budget and then start saving for the bigger glass.

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Glad to see the thread is trending towards used. New cameras are like new cars: For depreciation enthusiasts.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
chuff chuff

I would throw in a vote for the Panasonic GH1 if you're talking used. The bodies are tiny and can be had for around $200. KEH and eBay are good places to look for them. You can get really good video results too if you use the modified drivers.

The other benefit to the M43 bodies is that you can easily adapt old lenses. I have some Canon FD lenses that work really well on it.
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
------------

CCM Fan
I just bought this... We'll see how it shoots when it comes in next week.

Nikon D Series D200 10 2 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Body Only 0018208099955 | eBay
boltaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaction View Post
I just bought this... We'll see how it shoots when it comes in next week.

Nikon D Series D200 10 2 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Body Only 0018208099955 | eBay
well you got a good steal lol
Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
------------

CCM Fan
Thanks CJ for all the info and links.
boltaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Any reason on the d200 suggestion other than price? I'm tempted to pick up an older cheap body just for paintball stuff incase It gets hit/dropped.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
the d7000 is the reason I ask mostly since I have one.
I just feel safer having paintballs wiz by my head while using a 200 dollar camera than I do a 1000 dollar camera.

And just to add to the question, I'm so close to buying one of those 80-200 2.8's like you listed, would you possibly even suggest the older slide zoom one? It seems I can find the slide zoom ones in the 400's or lower where as that one is in the higher 600's if i'm luck it seems like.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography