mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
looking to buy my first dslr. suggestions?

First off, I am on a budget. I'd like to stay below 500 dollars for a body and kit lens, but can spring for a bit more if I have to. I'd prefer new, but a factory refurbished model would be ok if it would be a significant jump in performance. I'm currently looking at a rebel t3i on Amazon for 469.99. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
thats why i bring my own balls. and if they dont play nice, i play with myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Mar, I want to fondle your wood.
Zapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Keep your eyes on the Canon online store. They have sales every week so you might be able to get a better deal on a T3i there. I bought a refurb T2i from them and it was totally mint and complete with all the accessories.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I bought my GF a T3i for Christmas right before they put the price up
I picked it up for $489 and the next day it went back up to $599

T3i 18mp will do everything you need it to do.

What are you shooting(subject wise) primarily?
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
T3i is an excellent camera to enter the DSLR world with. If you look at a factory refurb or wait for a sale though a Canon 60D will be within your price range and it's a lot more camera for the money. The 60D uses the same sensor as the T3i but has a better auto focus system and is far better in terms of build quality. It also has an articulating LCD screen (screen that swivels) which can be very handy for shooting video or shooting from weird angles.

The kit lens that comes with the T3i is an 18-55 most of the 60D packages come with either the 18-55 or an 18-135 either lens will give you a good start. After your kit lens I'd recommend a 50mm 1.8 to start into the world of fast prime lenses and I'd also look at a 55-250 as a good telephoto zoom on a budget. All told if you bought a 60D with a kit lens + the other 2 lenses I mentioned It would be around $800 total but it would be hell of a starter kit. With that said shoot with the kit lens first and once you find it limiting (and you will believe me) you can branch out.

If you have any questions on Canon stuff feel free to pm me as I'm pretty well versed on everything Canon has to offer at the moment.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
As far as subject matter goes, I'm shooting a little of everything, but want to start taking higher quality pictures. my existing camera (fujifilm HS10) is just not cutting it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
thats why i bring my own balls. and if they dont play nice, i play with myself.
Quote:
Mar, I want to fondle your wood.

Last edited by Zapf; 01-10-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Zapf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
im gunna just to the other side of the bus and suggest a nikon d3200. I currently own two nikons and love them. A refurb d90 is also another option. The major reason i suggest nikon over cannon is the lower crop factor on the nikon 1.5 vs 1.6 and the build quality in hands. I find my nikons just feel better in the hands than the competition. However its always a good idea to go to a real camera store ask the person behind the counter.
longstar550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'd avoid Nikons for a new user. Simply for the whole focus motor in body vs no focus motor so you need to buy specific lenses to make AF work on some bodies. Canon it's either EF or EF-S mount as long as your camera accepts the mount type of the lens you want you're good to go. That's just my reasoning not a knock on Nikon as a brand but it's a bit of a weird system overall in my view. With that said I don't want this to turn into Nikon v Canon

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
I'd avoid Nikons for a new user. Simply for the whole focus motor in body vs no focus motor so you need to buy specific lenses to make AF work on some bodies. Canon it's either EF or EF-S mount as long as your camera accepts the mount type of the lens you want you're good to go. That's just my reasoning not a knock on Nikon as a brand but it's a bit of a weird system overall in my view. With that said I don't want this to turn into Nikon v Canon
This can be a bit misleading. The more budget friendly line of Nikon Cameras (D3000 and D5000 series) do not have the internal AF motor as stated above. However, the vast majority of the lenses made for these cameras do.

Let me try and explain, nearly all of Nikon's lenses will fit nearly all of their digital bodies. A large majority of these bodies utilize a DX sensor which is smaller than film or the larger FX sensors. When using a "film" lens on a DX sensor, you have to take into account the difference in size between the DX sensor and the Film or FX sensor. This is also true with Canon's though they use a different designation than DX and FX.

Both Nikon and Canon realized that this became very confusing, trying to remember the ratio (1.5 on Nikon on either 1.6 (majority) or 1.3 on Canon). So both companies devised lenses specifically for these smaller sensors. Nikon designates these as DX lenses and it is written on the label of the lens.

Getting back to the lenses that will Autofocus. These are designated by Nikon as AF-S. These have the internal motor for focusing. You can still use other lenses, you just have to focus yourself, and if they're not DX lenses, remember to do the conversion.

Quote:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Big thing is to look around at what other photographers in your are are using!

If 7 out of 10 photographers are using Brand A, and you buy into Brand B that 2 out of 10 are using (there is always that one guy in the group using a sony or Pentax instead of a Canon or Nikon), then you are out of luck if you want to borrow a lens or buy someone's used gear. I got lucky when I picked Canon to buy into as that is what most photographers I've run into in my neck of the woods are using.

If you get into sports, Canon is probably the way you want to go. (They have a long history of producing gear suitable for sports and action, where as Nikon tends towards more general shooting and studio work with their product lines.)

Also, you really don't need to do any conversion on lenses. A 50mm is a 50mm, and will merely crop tighter. If you take an EF-S (Canon crop body only lens) of a given focal length and take a photo with it, and then take an EF lens (Full frame) of the same focal length and use it to take the same photo over again with the same crop camera, then you won't see a difference, excluding quality and spec issues such as difference in sharpness or aperture.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Also, you really don't need to do any conversion on lenses. A 50mm is a 50mm, and will merely crop tighter. If you take an EF-S (Canon crop body only lens) of a given focal length and take a photo with it, and then take an EF lens (Full frame) of the same focal length and use it to take the same photo over again with the same crop camera, then you won't see a difference, excluding quality and spec issues such as difference in sharpness or aperture.
This isn't exactly accurate. A 50mm lens in a 1.5 body is 75mm. On a 1.6 it's 80mm. It might not look different at 50mm, but it's there. 50mm is known as a "standard" lens because at 50mm, what you see with your eyes is what you will see through a 50. Now, when you put a 70-300 full frame lens on a crop sensor camera, you will be able to see it. That's 450 on a 1.5 and 480 on a 1.6.

Quote:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography