mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

me too. since i live in fl we get winds all time. so i have protect from dust sand and other stuff.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
What part of FL?
Old 04-08-2017, 02:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

I've heard mixed opinions from photographers on using filters on the field. You want the extra layer of protection, but if you take a shot down the barrel it may shatter the filter and the shards will scratch your lens - whereas a bare lens will be less likely to break or scratch from a paintball hit.

I don't know what side of this I agree with. I'll be doing some reffing/photography myself this year and would like to hear more opinions from someone more experienced with the equipment than I. Either way its an old Rebel XT and a Tamron 70-300 so not expensive to risk.
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 04-08-2017 at 02:20 AM.
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

space coast area of CFL. only 30 to 45 min drive from space center or 30 min drive from cocoa beach.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
I've heard mixed opinions from photographers on using filters on the field. You want the extra layer of protection, but if you take a shot down the barrel it may shatter the filter and the shards will scratch your lens - whereas a bare lens will be less likely to break or scratch from a paintball hit.

I don't know what side of this I agree with. I'll be doing some reffing/photography myself this year and would like to hear more opinions from someone more experienced with the equipment than I. Either way its an old Rebel XT and a Tamron 70-300 so not expensive to risk.
not sure if you guys know this or not canon can not use old lenses on newer camera and old camera can not use new lenses. they are not interchangeable. i also want to get 150-600 or 200-500 if go that route i have to use tripod or monopod. since lenses will be to heavy and hard to keep steady. best be is 18-300 or 18-200. since 18-200 or 300 will have better image quality over some basic 70-300
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Wow you guys are great!! Yeah that's all I care about. My gear. Always told fellow shooters. If something goes down...save my gear...you see me start to fall. Grab the camera!!! It's an un written rule amongst shutter guys! I stopped shooting filters years ago. Good bad or indifferent ...was just a personal choice. Oooh babby i like it rawwww....ok sorry! I was thinking of making a plexi lens "shield"...but then again I've covered hockey and baseball without anything. It would be ironic if it were a .68 ball of goop that took out a lens when it's been challenging frozen disks and 90+mph cowhide all these years! Still it's unchartered territory for me!! I seen a pic of some dudes filter that was obliterated by a dead on shot to the glass....scarrrreyyy. Albiet I won't be shooting head on at a player (to start anyway) I still think it's a possibly to take a lens hit even when shooting perpendicular to the lanes. Thank you all for the input! Lotsa food for thought!
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

if your going to edit pictures make sure you shoot raw so you can do full editing.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Oh God no! I don't shoot raw unless it's portraits or low yield shot count! 1/3 over expose on a bright day.... Typically works for me. Found it still gives exposure on faces with football helmets...paintball masks ya really can't see faces anyways...I think!
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
not sure if you guys know this or not canon can not use old lenses on newer camera and old camera can not use new lenses. they are not interchangeable. i also want to get 150-600 or 200-500 if go that route i have to use tripod or monopod. since lenses will be to heavy and hard to keep steady. best be is 18-300 or 18-200. since 18-200 or 300 will have better image quality over some basic 70-300
I believe you are referring to the image sensor format used by the various Canon models. The "lower" end Rebels use the APS-C format image sensor, which is much smaller than the full frame sensor used on the professional 5d and 1d models. The lenses can be used interchangeably but you will see some issues pop up such as vignetting, hyper zoom, etc. Some of the mid range models switched from apsc to full frame in later revisions, i believe, which may be why you are stating this as an older vs newer issue. For sports, the APS-C is probably a better option anyway, as it works better with zoom than the full frame. Full frame is much better for landscapes and portraiture. We use an old xti and newer 60d, and interchange the lenses on a regular basis. Both, however, are APS-C image sensors.
djeclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

i use nikon just for that reason. since i found that out.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography