mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Can you photog without the edit?

I bet your wondering why I asked the question like an ******* up in the title. Well, in short. I'm an *******?
Ha.

But really, it's been years since I've wanted to get into photography. I try, I quit. I try I quit. I rinse, I repeat. I have a moral dilemma between being the guy who thinks, "stop taking your phone out and enjoy the ****ing moment!" And the guy who thinks, "I just want to go back and look how great life used to be!" And then spiral into a deep depression because I didn't appreciate the moment.

Well, I want again.

All you PROtographers out there. I use the term pro loosely..

Can you take awesome pictures without editing software? I fear it's like a lot of these "welders" who are really good at grinding.
I feel like I can get tips and tricks off of YouTube in photography, but editing is an entire secondary skill that just gives the illusion of being a skilled photographer.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I do it. I worked in a photoshop that did youth sports photography, I spent a lot of time fixing major mistakes by ****ty photographers because they just assumed someone could photoshop anything. **** like editing the open eyes from an out of focus photo to another photo where the eyes were closed, extending the backdrop, making kids look not as fat at parents request, etc.

You'll find that Photoshop is a waste of time. If the shot didn't turn out delete it right on the camera. There is no once in a lifetime shots that were recovered from Photoshop. Just throwaways made mediocre.

The other thing you'll find is you'll stop forcing shots and wait for the right shot. It also helps to bring a smaller memory card. You'll enjoy yourself more out and about and take better more composed shots. Prime lenses or smaller specialty zoom lenses also help to avoid lazy blandly composed shots.

I'm not saying don't use Photoshop, it's an awesome artistic tool, but use it for that purpose. Glamor shots, composition, HDR landscape shots (almost required for good landscape photography), and other artistic stuff.

One area it's required is white balance if you do any indoor or night photography since every indoor area has different tempatures of Led bulbs, incandescent, halide, and fluorescent. I'll do batch white balance in Adobe Bridge. I think that might be free now, but it is the best for simple batch workflow.

I pay for the Adobe license for Photoshop and lightroom, but the last thing I photoshopped was my Grandma's Christmas card, and it was just for composition.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 10-17-2017 at 10:55 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Good information, Thanks.

I have no desire to learn Photoshop at this point. I was just going to begin with a few how to videos on basic photography and ask for tips and tricks here.
I don't even own a camera. Lol
Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Any YouTube videos for a guy who has never picked up a camera?
But technique and equipment wise?
Personal advice?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

i shoot pro...sports...concerts...etc..and i have to dump my images to the editor asap...so i dont have time to edit really...most i do to my stuff is...crop and level out exposure if that...caption and transmit..

in that world...from the time i capture something good..to the time it hits my editors screen better be before that inning...period...quarter ...whatever ...is over! no time to sit there and play with a pic till it "looks" good.

best advice...if you want perfect shots...practice...
now you said.."stop taking your phone out",,,which leads me to believe ur talking about taking pictures with ur iphone or something
...and not photography per say.

dont get me wrong...there are some great pics from cell phones...hell the new iphones are amazing.
but these are shot by guys / gal knowing about composition and lighting...about photography and get you and anyones to go..ooooooo....which is why those photos end up as billboards.

wanna take cool pics...shoot all the time...different angles...lighting conditions...shoot things that arent..run of the mill..try to look at stuff differently.

wanna get into photography?....put down the phone and pick up a good dslr!

Last edited by NYKNIGHT01; 10-18-2017 at 08:35 PM.
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
sometimes yes, sometimes no

keeping your light levels WB and color saturation correct goes a long way

this one is unedited all the way

i just have PS elements, so i cant go into full "pro" pic mode, and i usually only do auto color correction and cropping, and if my levels are good when the picture was taken, auto color fix doesn't typically do anything i can notice

i have a before and after ill add, but they are on my home PC.. so ill edit them in this evening

before
https://i.imgur.com/V42YoIE.jpg

after
https://i.imgur.com/hlEk5UR.jpg

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 10-19-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

the above pic...low lit..wide ap / high iso to compensate...2.8 ..3.5 range?..focused on the trigger guard...no flash..different light sources in the room..
am i kinda close?
i could be waaaaay off tho..lol

take it back...not a 2.8
Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
it was taken over a year ago, so im working from memory here, but..

outdoors (i always try natural light first), i cant remember if it was cloudy or shady that day, iso100 (i would rather tripod long exposures to not have grain) center point focus

stock lense for the T3i, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II Lens,
zoom i try to stay at the 55mm range on the lense to mitigate the fisheye and bending effects that happen on the 18mm side, course i need to step farther away from the subject..

of course i don't claim to be an expert in photography, nor have i ever even taken a class, this is just what ive learned through trial and error, and research.

im betting if i actually took classes, i could take some really killer photographs, but i already have a couple expensive hobbies.. wife might kill me if i were to pick up another

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Classes help the technical end...but "seeing" isn't taught...
U can learn a lot more by the doing method and picking up the tech as u go...this way u form ur own style!

Example...there are guys u can teach every move....every technique to in paintball...and theyd still not be great....there are guys who naturally feel the game... instinctually know what to do next....and they are amazing!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
I see dead people

CCM Fan
Yes, I'm a protogropher, both in trade and training. Half of what I do gets NO editing (crime scene stuff) the other half of what I do is work almost exclusively in Photoshop (commercial photography).

For the first year of art school, none of the images we turned in could have any photoshop work done to them. We were learning it, but not allowed to apply any of it towards our photography classes until the second year and only a little then. It wasn't until the third year that we really started to put the two together.

Photoshop has a steep learning curve, but once you get it, you get it. There's also about 15 ways to accomplish anything in Photoshop so if you're watching videos, you may see a couple of different methods to accomplish the same goal. I will say this, work NON-DESTRUCTIVELY.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography