mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Starter Camera?

So... I'm going on a vacation this weekend. Would like to take pictures, but my cell phone camera sucks!
Advice on what I should do? Look for? Buy?
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Still working on my first "real" camera, not good or been at it long but I like the camera.

Nikon 3300. Came with 2 lenses
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old gear!

Sony a3000 is slow, but has a good sensor and decent lens. Cheaper, and rugged and small.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I had an old point and shoot digital Sony, from about 2002. I can attest to them being rugged. I was running across a cobblestone road in Dublin, in the rain, and it fell out of my pocket. Once I got the battery door back on it worked fine for another 2 years.
Quote:
Old 11-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
I see dead people

CCM Fan
How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? Are you happy with a point and shoot/ mirrorless or do you prefer to step up to a DSLR? Will this be mostly hobby/ family type of shooting or amateur stuff?

What's your budget? I know in the other thread you stated you didn't want to do a lot of editing but are you willing to get into exposure/ color correction? Shooting raw or just jpg?

Lots of great stuff has come out in the last 5-10 years in the photo world and it just keeps getting better. Hell, my phone takes better pictures than the first three or four digital cameras I had did.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
^ what he said.

Really, what you are looking to shoot is going to determine what you are going to be happy with.

I made the jump almost 2 years ago after reading up on everything I could and ended up going with a Panasonic G7(micro 4/3) camera. I selected the m43 system mainly due to size and its acceptable-for-my-use picture quality.

I shoot video and pictures of retail store display installations for instructional videos and manuals for work. I was previously using a Canon p&s but needed to upgrade. When looking, my only requirement was that the new camera have better video quality than the Canon 5Dmk2 and at least 16mp or greater. My reasoning being that the 5Dmk2was one of the first DSLR cameras used in hollywood movies and network television, so good enough for pros = good enough for me. The 16mp requirement was for cropping, I often have to take a wide shot to try and capture everything and then later crop a tiny part of that for detailed photo that wasn't explained to me while on site.

Then I started looking at the different lens systems for pros/cons and pricing for cameras that fit my image quality requirement. I came across a best buy ebay listing for open box Lumix G7's w/kit lenses at $450(msrp was $800). The only concern I had was that m4/3 cameras are known for poor low light image quality, but I was sold on it after finding this video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTlgFRzuQsA

Its pretty crummy footage by todays standards, but I feel I set a realistic goal for my budget and needs. Since then, I've gotten 5 more lenses and a Lumix GX1; and have been happy with my setup. I use a 7-14mm f2.8 with the G7 on a tripod to record video of myself doing the installation. Panasonic's Wi-Fi app lets me control the camera with my iphone. I have the GX1 paired with a 20mm f1.7 lens for photos. Being that I'm on the m43 system, all of this gear is very compact and makes it easier for me to stuff in a carryon bag as these installations take place around the country.

If I had to make a recommendation to someone that just wants 'a good camera', Id say go with a Sony mirrorless. Their cameras have exceptional low light and video capabilities. Although, I wouldn't buy Sony for myself as its cons are dealbreakers for me.

Also, you note that you are going on vacation. Where are you going? My old point and shoot was a Canon SX50HS megazoom. The reason why I got that camera was because I was unwilling to spend DSLR money, but I wanted the zoom. Paintball and travelling often requires you to take a photo from far back and being able to zoom gets you photos you couldn't get otherwise. Optical zoom is one of the things you cant do with a smartphone camera.

Last edited by ta2maki; 11-08-2017 at 08:36 PM.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Legal Eagle

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
a basic DSLR will serve you well. I like Canon myself. I shoot a 50D which is an older pro level model from several years ago. Something like I have just for a body can be had for around $300 and then a couple decent lenses I'd recommend would be the 50mm 1.8 for portraits and 55-250STM for zoom. I'd also recommend the 40mm 2.8 as it's fun and cheap and last but not least for a general jack of all trades a 28-105 is a great walk aroud lens if you want to go with a one lens setup.

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

It would just be for personal use, nothing business.

Also, going to NH this weekend, but definitely won't be getting a camera in time. So, oh well. Thanks for the recommendations thus far!
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Fan of EMR
I'll say this much. The main reason I went with a DSLR instead of a digital point and shoot is that I got sick of the lag between when I push the button to click a picture and the picture actually being taken.

I couldn't seem to find a point and shoot that didn't have that lag and one of the things I photograph most is my kids being active be it playing or sports.
Quote:
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
I'll say this much. The main reason I went with a DSLR instead of a digital point and shoot is that I got sick of the lag between when I push the button to click a picture and the picture actually being taken.

I couldn't seem to find a point and shoot that didn't have that lag and one of the things I photograph most is my kids being active be it playing or sports.
This is what I notice the most. You either get your kids goofy face when they know they're being photographed, a blur, or a terribly composed shot. I'm always amazed at how bad non DSLR cameras are at this, and I have no idea why.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography