mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
PS1 games on PS2?

Okay, I've been doing google searches, but keep hitting dead links...probably because I am wayyy too late getting into the whole PS2 scene. But, a friend of mine gave me his old PS2 (it's one of the early, bigger ones...not the 2nd gen slim one) I haven't done much console gaming since college, when I picked up a playstation, circa 1997/1998. Supposedly, PS1 games work on the PS2. Mine don't. Well, at least the 3 or 4 I've tried don't, and suspect all the others may be of the same fate. Anyone have any ideas, or know of any little tech-tips for them to work? I have several PS1 games I'd love to play again. Are there any CD's or anything that I can load to make it compatible? Thanks!

Luke

My MCB feedback
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Should just work.
There are some settings in the browser for playing PS1 games, but iirc they are for improving performance. Try checking there anyway, see if it helps.

I'd try cleaning the discs, maybe the ps2's lense as well. Maybe run the ps2 on its side.
Stupid question, but is it playing ps2 games properly?

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

I think the units for playing each game are two differant things. Mine wont play PS1 games either, but it plays PS2 games just fine, so long as they aren't the blue bottom discs like Half-Life or Tekken Tag.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
The blue and black bottom playstation discs are standard cd's. Check if they won't play audio cd's either. If they don't, your ps2 is busted. One of mine wouldn't play crazy taxi, which is another blue-bottom disc.

Fortunately the price of used PS2's should be coming way down in the next few months so you could easily pick up a working one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Also forgot to mention, if you do get it to play ps1 games, you'll need a ps1 memory. Can't save ps1 save data to a ps2 memory card. (not that this will help it work, but I thought it worth the mention.)

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

If I recall correctly, the PS2 actually used a PS1 chip inside to play PS1 games. Maybe that particular part is broken.

Some game places will give you $40 for a broken PS2. The bigger ones were desirable because you could put in a hard drive for playing Final Fantasy. Since brand new PS2's cost $130 these days, with a trade in it's pretty cheap just to get a new one.

Don't forget, the PS2 still out sold all the other consoles combined last Christmas. There are something like 7000+ games that will play on a PS2, and some of the best ones are coming out now. God of War 2 for example.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think that there were also some PS1 games that just wouldn't work on the PS2. However, it seems unlikely that the 3 or 4 games you tried playing just happened to be the ones that don't work. From my experience, the backwards compatibility of the PS2 has always been kind of iffy.

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadfall View Post
From my experience, the backwards compatibility of the PS2 has always been kind of iffy.
In my experience, its been %100, though 100% of about 12 or 15 games isn't exactly emperical evidence.

Temple of the Dog
Quote:

Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Well, all my PS1 games worked on my PS2... I would tend to think that you just got a very well used (and old) PS2. Your best bet (If you insist on playing PS1 games) is to just get a new PS2. Or, you could go to a pawn shop and pick up a PS1 for quite cheap - w/ a controller too.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

My one and only attempt at a PS1 game (Silent Hill) on a PS2 worked without a problem.

Are you trying original PS1 game CDs, or CD copies of games?
titan aresta is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in