mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Probley because 98 is free.
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFishy View Post
Probley because 98 is free.
Huh? When did this happen? Last I heard, MS hadn't even released MS-DOS to the public domain.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am using windows 98 on an old computer because I don't have any xp disks.

Adam
admeech29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If the computer is 1998-1999 vintage, don't waste your time putting a newer operating system on it anyway. It's probably a Pentium III 500 or 600 mhz. Windows 2000 might work okay if you can squeeze 256 to 512mb into the PC. Save your pennies for a $500 or so new PC.
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrpie-CT View Post
If the computer is 1998-1999 vintage, don't waste your time putting a newer operating system on it anyway. It's probably a Pentium III 500 or 600 mhz. Windows 2000 might work okay if you can squeeze 256 to 512mb into the PC. Save your pennies for a $500 or so new PC.
Hrm...I've got a 1999 vintage G4 running the latest version of Mac OS X. Yeah, it's got 1 GB of RAM, but otherwise stock.

But that's comparing Apples to...well, something other than Apples....

My Feedback Thread
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
Huh? When did this happen? Last I heard, MS hadn't even released MS-DOS to the public domain.
windows 98 uses a cd-key that does not have to be validated on the internet. And will never be validated.

Thus meaning ANY 98 cd key can used any amount of times on as many computers as you want. I do this at work atleast once a week
Old 02-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFishy View Post
windows 98 uses a cd-key that does not have to be validated on the internet. And will never be validated.

Thus meaning ANY 98 cd key can used any amount of times on as many computers as you want. I do this at work atleast once a week
Hrm...by that logic, I can walk up & down my street taking my neighbors' mail out of their mailboxes before they all get home from work. Yeah, it's illegal, but there's nothing to stop me from doing it. Their mailboxes are just sitting there. No locks. No video cameras. Nothing.

Being able to do something and that thing being legal are two vastly different things. A few years back, Temple University was audited by MS and it was found that they had purchased something like 10 licenses for MS Office XP, but that it was installed on a few hundred University-owned computers. They were fined severely, in addition to having to purchase the correct quantity of valid licenses and, IIRC, they were also required to remove the "illegal" copies from all of their computers and re-install the "legal" copy.

So, yes, you can do it. It's still illegal. MS is probably not going to come knocking at your door unless someone brings this to their attention.

My Feedback Thread
Old 02-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
All this talk of hard drive size brings me back to a time where I remember when my dad bought his first computer, it came with a 4gig hard drive. That was an upgrade to the stock 2gig it came with.
It's got me thinking of an old 30MB MFM hard drive that I had, sucker was full height 5 1/4" and musta weighed about 20 pounds... My boss paid about $1300 for it back in the day. Woot!

Avery
amcfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcfall View Post
It's got me thinking of an old 30MB MFM hard drive that I had, sucker was full height 5 1/4" and musta weighed about 20 pounds... My boss paid about $1300 for it back in the day. Woot!

Avery
My FIL used to have a bird feeder he made out of the platters that came out of an old mainframe drive. They were about 1/16" thick (the center hub was about 3/8" thick), 18" across and weighed at least 2 or 3 pounds each. The drive had 10 of them and held an astonishing (at the time it was new, late 70s, I think) 100 MB.

My Feedback Thread
Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
Hrm...by that logic, I can walk up & down my street taking my neighbors' mail out of their mailboxes before they all get home from work. Yeah, it's illegal, but there's nothing to stop me from doing it. Their mailboxes are just sitting there. No locks. No video cameras. Nothing.

Being able to do something and that thing being legal are two vastly different things. A few years back, Temple University was audited by MS and it was found that they had purchased something like 10 licenses for MS Office XP, but that it was installed on a few hundred University-owned computers. They were fined severely, in addition to having to purchase the correct quantity of valid licenses and, IIRC, they were also required to remove the "illegal" copies from all of their computers and re-install the "legal" copy.

So, yes, you can do it. It's still illegal. MS is probably not going to come knocking at your door unless someone brings this to their attention.
\

May not be the right thing to do but nothing is going to stop you because they will never find you... now in the case of office xp. Everyone knows that when windows gets validated for an important update or something it checks for legal copys. Oh look these 100 computers all trying to update with non-legit copys of office, better go check them out. Kind of asking for it there, you know?

Yet microsoft is not that conserned over piracy in america right now. In Japan it is legal to sell pirated copys of windows and other programs on store shelves...there was an article on it on google news this past week that was worth checking out

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in