mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hard Drive Problems

Well when I try to install Windows 98 on my other computer it says it can't because their are problems with the hard drive. What could it be?

Thank you,
Adam
admeech29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Ummm....could be a lot of things, but more than likely, if this hard drive is old enough that it originally came with 98 installed, it's likely near the end of it's life. What brand/model of computer is it? Some manufacturers (Dell, IBM, Compaq, HP, maybe Gateway and a few others) have a hard drive diagnostic that may have come with the computer on CD or that you can download & run from a CD or floppy. If you can get a hold of an older copy of Norton Disk Doctor, I've always found that to be very reliable at detected hard drive problems (and, more importantly, determining the extent of those problems and repairing those that are repairable).

Finally, is the drive making any weird noises? If so, it's almost definitely a hardware problem. No weird noises, it's probably some kind of corruption, partition damage or just too many dead sectors (some dead sectors are OK...pretty much every hard disk will have a few...but too many will cause problems).

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old, Slow and Angry

Send a message via Skype™ to MadCat

Fan of EMR
PPS Fan
harddrives aren't that expensive these days. I bought a 160gb IDE harddrive (w/ 8m cache) at Best Buy for $70.

If you really want to keep that harddrive, I'd suggest wiping out all of the existing partitions and start over. Partition, format, keep fingers crossed. You don't want a shaky old harddrive as your main boot / system disk.
MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know but the computer was totally free. I just need to make some money so I can get a decent hard drive. Anyone need anything made on the computer for a little money hahah

Thank you,
Adam
Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by admeech29 View Post
I know but the computer was totally free. I just need to make some money so I can get a decent hard drive. Anyone need anything made on the computer for a little money hahah

Thank you,
Adam
PM me your address. I've got a handful of old, but perfectly usable 10 Gb drives. If the compy's older than, say '97 or '98, it might need a BIOS update in order to recognize a drive larger than 8 Gb.

-Chad

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I still have one computer that came w/ '98. Upgraded to XP two years ago. It's still holding on, but will be replaced in a couple of months. Has 244 mb of memory, and an 11 GB harddrive. The memory just isn't enough for today, and the 11 GB harddrive is so full it won't let me do a defragment, so I downloaded a program from CNET and defragged (it won't do it the best possible way, but it will help.) the harddrive and use CLEANUP! to keep space in there, the first time I ran it cleaned up over 2 GIGS of temporary files, even though I regularly dump temp files and delete cookies. That stuff REALLY builds up over time.

Anyhow, it was a good computer then, and with two upgrades (I believe processor and XP home) you can keep the computer up for nine years or more! In reality I could upgrade memory and probably processor once more, along with harddrive, but the graphics card is old, and I don't know that the power supply would be big enough, so to get a completely up to date computer would be far too costly. With a new hard drive and new memory I could keep it up longer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen702 View Post
I don't think bunkering someone in real war would work out so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Bunkering? Maybe...but Wiping sure as hell wouldn't work...
supergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

All this talk of hard drive size brings me back to a time where I remember when my dad bought his first computer, it came with a 4gig hard drive. That was an upgrade to the stock 2gig it came with.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

how large is the HD?

Win98 does not recognize anything larger then 137gb.

On top of that, fdisk.exe and format.com that came w/ win98 & win98se does not recognize anything larger then 64gb.

Quote:
All this talk of hard drive size brings me back to a time where I remember when my dad bought his first computer, it came with a 4gig hard drive. That was an upgrade to the stock 2gig it came with.
meh, I remember my first hard drive... all 5 megabytes of it called the Apple ProFile...
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well I got it figured out. It was just a bad HDD so I put a different one on. It works now. thank you for your time.

Adam
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Karma Enforcement Agency

May we ask, why are you using windows 98?
That's why you might know what I mean
Consider how small you are
Compared to your scream
The human dream
Doesn't mean **** to a tree

Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in