mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Computers I am looking at

I can see from stats which is better, but have you ever had any experience with any of these models?

Option One

Option Two

Option Three

Option Four

Option Five

Option Six

If you have had any experience with these models let me know what you think!

Thanks,
-Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen702 View Post
I don't think bunkering someone in real war would work out so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Bunkering? Maybe...but Wiping sure as hell wouldn't work...
supergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

I have no experience with those specific models, but a lot of experience with both HP/Compaq and Gateway's support. Most manufacturers are using pretty much the same hardware, so the real difference is cost and support. I've had much more good experiences with HP/Compaq's support group than Gateway's. Granted, I've not had to contact Gateway as often, but when I did, it was never what I'd call a pleasant experience. Even in terms of self-help via their website, Gateway is kind of a pain to deal with. HP at least makes it easy to find drivers and documentation without needing the serial number of your machine.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
All I am ableto give is an emotinal responce. Stay the hell away from gateway. When I ordered my gateway I had nothing but greif. First with suppport and then with the PC itself. I replaced 4 power supplies, 6 hard drives and the MB twice and still the damn thing was worth less then cow ****e. At least the cow ****e can be used as fertilizer. Granted this is just myexperiance. My sister in law had simular problems and 2 of the kids my wife went to collage with had problems usualy witheither the power suppply or the MB. Hell I would suggest any thing but gateway. Agian this is my emotinal responce and a little bit of my experiance with them. You may have better luck.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Stay away from option 1 like its the plague. Those all in one things are way more trouble than they are worth, if anything goes on it your probably looking at proprietary parts. You might as well buy a laptop and get the portability.

Other than that I have had pretty good luck with HP and their drivers. Gateway I had good luck with with the one computer I owned made by them but it was a pentium3 so they could have completely changed since then. I have also had good luck with Dell.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Option one wasn't a serious consideration, probably my last choice.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

This is just my 3 cents. Personally, Id stay away from gateay depending on what your using it for. If your running Vista and/or playing games Id say go with celeron rather then pentium. I was always a hardcore pentium guy but I did some research and every graphics test celeron did better, and for alot cheaper, so my next pc im going to try one out. Not sure if thats an option for you. Also, I dont know about there support but acer makes a pretty good mahcine.
[Pumpster] 12:58 am: yeah, we have $1.2 per L cdn
[Be4life182] 12:59 am: Thats the price you pay for having ure own name for ham
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Be4life182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hear their support is crap which is why I haven't looked into one.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
This is just my 3 cents. Personally, Id stay away from gateay depending on what your using it for. If your running Vista and/or playing games Id say go with celeron rather then pentium. I was always a hardcore pentium guy but I did some research and every graphics test celeron did better, and for alot cheaper, so my next pc im going to try one out. Not sure if thats an option for you. Also, I dont know about there support but acer makes a pretty good mahcine.
I would stay away from Celeron, this information I believe is incorrect. I believe that your thinking Centrino, the mobile processors of a few years back were actually better for gaming than the desktop variants. The celeron is a low budget processor, go with Pentium/core/core 2 or if AMD go Athlon.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
i would stay away with from any of the so called high end brands. They all over charge you for what your getting by atleast a few 100$. Someplace like ibuypower.com is worth a look.

Also stay away from anything that is not a atx size. Its a waste of money to save a little bit of space, because at it was said earlyer parts are a pain to find. So once it falls behind your stuck with it
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Recently I bought both a used dell and a gateway. Each of them are still current with tech.

Both machines were without on OP system. So after getting them reinstalled with XP then trying to install the manufacturers programs/drivers. The dell went seamlessly and I didnt have any more than just a handful of items to put on. The gateway was similar however in order for me to get the drivers on I needed to load off a CD, and the CD was 50 bucks or so. Well I was able to find enough of the proper drivers scattered around minus the sound driver. After over a month of searching I ended up buying a sound card for 17 bucks.

I do have an HP machine here its an old pavilion with a 700 mhz processor and 256 meg of ram. I am still pleased with the performance from it. While there are things I cannot do with it I want to add that it was built like a tank and has not stopped working for the 7 years its been around. I bought it used back about 5 years ago for 100 bucks. In that time its had millenium, 2k, and currently XP.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in