mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

LOL all you computer nerds
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

It just gets better and better....

After a couple days of trying to push out the new, new-DST-compliant "GoodLink" client to the 2 dozen Palm Treo 650s we support, we discovered that the only way to get the new client on them is to perform a hard reset (wipe the device clean), then install the client from an SD card (which only a few users currently have in their devices).

Apparently, our dept. got approval to purchase a 2 GB SD card for each user. I wrote up instructions on how to do the hard reset and install the client, but since approximately none of the users ever use HotSync (or will be able to do the hard reset on their own), we're going to have to visit each bloody one of them to back up their phones, do the hard reset, install the client, and then restore their devices. Approximate time per device (based on limited testing): 30 minutes. 24 Treos, 30 minutes a piece, figure 5-10 minutes travel time between each user (more like 45 minutes for the 2 or 3 that are located at our cross-town campus), and myself and one other guy who have actually done this successfully to our own Treos...yeah, I'll be working an 18-hour day tomorrow.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

Once the clients and servers are done, don't forget all other appliances like routers, multi-function printers and digital phone systems.

Doh!!! don't forget all the PVR's, Tevo, VCR's, game consoles like Wii, PS3, and Xbox, anything that uses time table or connect to the "NET" will need to be updated.

MCB Feedback

Last edited by Rayodder; 03-08-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Lucky.. i almost have all of ours done.

Watch it all come to a flying stop come this weekend.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
I love my job.....but I just may have to quit and go work for a company in Arizona! (no DST there!)

Actually you could move to Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Arizona. Or you could come live in my head where I never know what time it is.

I think the best argument against this silly change was made by my favorite radio dj, who says that his kids play baseball in the spring. The problem is that his kids are used to going to bed at 8 which is now 7, and since the sun is out longer (I will address this in a min) the games can last longer and start later which in turn means his kids don't get home till like 8pm, which should be 9 and his kids keep noding off at games. What this means is Daylight savingSSS time is crap and even kids know it. They know when to sleep, regardless of the clock. I may have this mixed up with his fall football kid, I can't keep this fall back spring ahead crap straight, but you get the idea.

We invented time, it is just that simple. If we wanted 12, 120 minute hours in a day we could have that. The day could start at midnight, or 5:37 am for all we know. Why the heck do we torture ourselve with a meaningless time change every six months, why not just stay one way or another!

This whole idea of the sun staying out longer and us working in the fields longer is crap. The sun doesn't do what congress demands, it just rotates how God intended. If you want more sun, hm... leave it how it is in the summer!

I have more, but I'll stop ranting.
mac3kuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
call me H8 for short

hear hear I vote for leaving it the way it will be in the Spring! Once we move the clock ahead on Sunday. LEAVE THEM BE!!! I think that is what is going to happen eventually. Notice this year we are adding a month to the DLS. In a couple of years we will probably do it a gain until it is for the full year.

ASK ME ABOUT MY 5 YEAR PLAN TO FINISH YOUR MARKERS! NOW TAKING ORDERS FOR THE NEXT H8TR BUILD, TO BE COMPLETED JUNE 2019!
davidwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Quote:
Why can't we just stay on DLT year around,
The idea behind daylight savings time is that it cuts back on energy usage. I forget the numbers, but they are impressive. DLST used to be only issued when the Gvernment felt the need to, there were whole decades without it. I cant remember what year it became a regular thing. Anyway just skimmed through the thread so dont know if this has been stated allready or not.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

oh great, with the liberals pushing energy concerns we will never see the end of DLST.

Hm.. can you tell I'm a gun tote'in redneck from the south?
mac3kuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

For the record I am not a liberal, quite the oposite, even though I dont vote. Just in the event that was posted towards me and not in some general manner. Also when you realy think about it, reguardless of how much work it may/may not create for you DLST is a small inconvienance at best, that save us energy (good thing) and money( also good thing) Its just been complicated this year because its happening a bit early.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
call me H8 for short

DLST would go away forever if we just shifted zulu time over one time zone.

ASK ME ABOUT MY 5 YEAR PLAN TO FINISH YOUR MARKERS! NOW TAKING ORDERS FOR THE NEXT H8TR BUILD, TO BE COMPLETED JUNE 2019!
davidwirth is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in