mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

I get that too. I have learned to tune it out with CRT T.V.'s but when I am using a CRT monitor and the screen is white.. man, I just have to turn it off.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

In high school I could always tell when a classroom had a TV ready to show a video before I ever got to the room because I could hear the ringing, even over the noise of all the people in the hallway.

We should start a support group! lol!

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

It's like that high tone ring tone that came out a while ago, some people can here it, some can't. I can still here it, so I guess I'm still cool.
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I've always been able to hear that in some electronics too. I guess I've learned to tune it out for the most part, but sometimes it's still too much.

Western Digital hard drives made from around 1999-2002 create a high pitched noise that just rubs me the wrong way, like fingernails on a blackboard. I fix a lot of older computers and I can tell a Western Digital drive a mile away. I don't bother looking anymore, I'm always right. To me it's as distinctive as the rumble of a V8 (one of the most pleasant sounds there is).

Coil whine is another thing that I hate. A few computer power supplies have coil whine. Sometimes you can get rid of it by moving around power connections, sometimes you cant. I had to get rid of a nice Antec power supply because of that.

When I was little, our black and white tube TV had a remote control that worked with ultrasonic frequencies. A little hammer inside hit a tuned bar of metal for each control...a true "clicker". I was the only one who could hear the frequencies. An interesting fact about those old TV's...when rain hits a window, sometimes it makes the same sound as the remote did for "power on". A lot of people attributed that to ghosts and spirits. There would be a bad thunder storm, and all of the sudden the TV would turn on and freak people out.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
It's not Tinnitus (Unless you hear it while your laying in bed trying to go to sleep, then see a Doctor). TV's can make an odd high pitched buzzing noise, usually too high a frequencey for most people to hear (especially older people). You may also hear it at stores(Usually supermarkets) with revolving doors (they have devices to repel insects/rodents ). I used to hear this stuff.. now I'm apparently getting old and decrepid, because it doesn't bother me anymore.
-MR
I too hear the above; but also, as we age, we lose the ability to hear those noises at those frequency ranges.
...never forget!
JeepinCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
As people get older, they apparently loose or damage some of the sensitive inner ear hairs that pick up the high pitched noises that young folks can hear. I can remember hearing that high pitched tone in an old TV I had growing up, especially when it first got turned on. I've had a little damage to my high frequency hearing over the years (small arms and artillery fire mostly), and have about a 5-10% loss in my left ear. I've had temporary tinnitis a few times in one or both ears, and it definitely sucks. I can remember having it for about a week one time, and having to wear ear plugs while driving, just so the odd engine noises of my truck didn't drive me insane. And, I could understand the music coming from the radio better too, since the plugs helped filter out the "echo" or tinney noise. You might want to keep a set of disposable soft ear plugs in your school pack or locker, for those times you have to watch something in class. It may help muffle the unpleasant sound, while you can still hear what is being said.

My MCB feedback
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Striker9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan View Post
An interesting fact about those old TV's...when rain hits a window, sometimes it makes the same sound as the remote did for "power on". A lot of people attributed that to ghosts and spirits. There would be a bad thunder storm, and all of the sudden the TV would turn on and freak people out.
I've never heard of that before, very cool.

I remembering reading that in some other countries store owners were purchasing loud speakers to blast the same type of high-pitched noise. Since only kids could hear it, it kept them from gathering outside the stores.
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to eric

im going to make my mom read some of this stuff eventually and make her do something about it haha

on the other hand ive got this thing with treble (my dad does this all the time)radios in general drive me insane because of the quality and on top of that he will turn the bass down (i have the sliders both all the way up) and it just sounds soooo bad to me

the same with headphones basicly anything under $150 i wont even look at because i cant enjoy the music and it drives me insane (also with being picky i wont wear anything without noise cancelling and i wont wear earbuds and the open headphones) we'll put it this way ive got a pair of altec lansing headphones ive had since they came out and thats the lowest i'll go for headphones($150 now) and ive been eyeing up a pair of bose quite comfort headphones

edit: anyone know of any headphones that are similar if not better then what ive said up there^^^
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Striker9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
edit: anyone know of any headphones that are similar if not better then what ive said up there^^^
Bose are actually considered low-quality by many. Try visiting this forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/index.php

There are many reviews and suggestions by audiophiles for whatever type of headphones you are looking for. Some of the guys on there spend more money on headphones and amps than we do on paintball.
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thats the sound of the flyback transformer, which is responsible for scanning and returning the electron beam which paints the picture of a CRT.

All CRT monitors will make this noise, but the lower resolution of a television monitor compared to a computer monitor means the frequency of the transformer is within human hearing range. Usually it's about 16 kHz, but it is dependent of the resolution which the monitor displays. Higher resolutions make for higher (inaudible) frequencies, because the beam needs to scan faster in order to paint the whole screen. Hence the lack of transformer whine in a modern CRT computer monitor.

I can hear them very well. They actually give me headaches, because they are very loud. Some can't hear it at all, either because they are used to it (TV is always on) or because their hearing simply isn't as good. Somebody with good hearing can still have frequencies that high attenuated enough to make them liveable or inaudible.

There isn't much going on in our lives that is that high pitched. For instance, only very rarely does any music have content that high. A piano recording will have very little content above 8kHz, and pink floyd, which is highly synthesized, very rarely has any content above 16kHz. Many high end tweeters don't respond much past there, and those that do (small mylar tweeters and those god aweful peizo-tweeters) sound harsh and unforgiving. The clink of very small cymbals, and small, rigid materials, like shattering glass, will resonate that fast, but usually it is of very short duration.

EDIT: Of late, Bose has been chintzy and over-marketed. The wave radio is nothing to be proud of, because its bandpass box design makes powerful but sloppy one-note bass. BUT, many of their products are quite well made. Just stay away from the "big sound in a small package" stuff.
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in