mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to eric

older tv's and "ringing" ?? anyone else have this problem

alright this is the electronic section so it fits best

you know those big old box tvs (tube tv or w.e)

for the longest time ive had this problem that when im near one and its turned all i can hear is this annoying ringing (i can hear other things but i know the ringing is most definatly there)

anyways i started complaining about the tv in my brothers room (the only tube tv in the house) and hes got a ps2 hooked up to it and i get laughed at like im crazy? and that there is no possible way that a tv can ever make/do such a noise or thing....

i know someone else out there has got to have this problem with all the older tvs anyone care to chip in what exactly causes the ringing

and yes i know my hearing is more then perfect.....im always the one that hears all the noises everyone else doesnt and i loose hours upon hours of sleep at night because i can hear my brothers breathing (my parents say its my problem? wtf.....) < someone please feel free to chime in on that to because theres no way i should put up with this crap

well theres quite the little rant
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

you're not crazy, i hear that ringing too.

just try to ignore it

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

threw looking at stuff im seeing something that maybe the problem but it doesnt sound like it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

and for ignoring it its basicly impossible im at the point where if its in school (they only use those tvs yay...)i'll ask to leave the room or put music on

its a real pain in the arse when my brother decides he "has" to use the tv and i have to put on headphones but i find that anything without noise cancelling or cheap noise cancelling doesnt do a thing (lucky ive picked up a pair of ah712i headphones-altec lansing)
Old 02-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

It's the same high pitched noise that just about all tube TVs make. I can hear it too, but I only find it bothersome when the screen is blank or monochrome.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
It's not Tinnitus (Unless you hear it while your laying in bed trying to go to sleep, then see a Doctor). TV's can make an odd high pitched buzzing noise, usually too high a frequencey for most people to hear (especially older people). You may also hear it at stores(Usually supermarkets) with revolving doors (they have devices to repel insects/rodents ). I used to hear this stuff.. now I'm apparently getting old and decrepid, because it doesn't bother me anymore.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

i can sit here and my ears do ring abit but ive got better hearing then everyone here?(in the house) right now i can hear my brother breathing and i know for sure that if i were to say anything i would be deemed crazy because no one else can but the ringing is just very slight without the tv's
Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

My hearing certainly isn't the best but I can hear that high pitched ringing around alot of electronic devices, not just tv's (and I don't have tinnitus). My stepsister/brother were always in the habit of leaving the tv or vcr on after they'd watch a movie, and I could tell they were as soon as I'd enter the room from the high pitched noise, even though the screen would be black.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Last edited by PolarMonkey; 02-19-2007 at 11:21 PM.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to killmaster Send a message via MSN to killmaster

It has to do with a resonace pocket trapped in a cold solder joint in the High Voltage Section

When the TV was made they use a method for making the circuit baords that use a chemical means of soldering, no heat involved. So sometimes(alot acctually) there are little bubbles and pockets in the solder, and these cause resonance when the high frequency AC voltage is stepped up to power the CRT tube that makes the picture.

Electrical engineering FTW!

Trick'

You DON'T play pump?

Playing with honor and attitude since 2001.

128Productions: Custom Graphic Design Work!

feedback
killmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

As a child, I grew up hearing that noise across the house. I can still hear it to this day. Anywhere in the house when the TV gets turned on, my ears start ringing. Glad to know it isn't just me.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

I get that sometimes to, and believe it or not it tends to go away when I smack the tv
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in