mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was just about to say you might want to let your local bomb squad know first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen702 View Post
I don't think bunkering someone in real war would work out so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Bunkering? Maybe...but Wiping sure as hell wouldn't work...
supergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to respiegel Send a message via Yahoo to respiegel

for the AC to DC conversion you'll need a transformer the transformer will give you something like 24VAC. then you put that through and a full bridge rectifier (or four power diodes), to get something more DC like (the absolute value of the sine wave) after the rectifier comes a big capacitor, depending on the load and the voltage there's a sweetspot to how big you'll need. i would use a regulator rather than a power resistor, you'll get the same result, but waste less power and generate less heat, but if you're using a regulator you need a reverse bias protection diode across the input and output. all of that is not pretty, but you could get most of the parts from an old PC power supply...

or a DC power brick, you can get those for like $10
check here http://www.mpja.com
respiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
I'm going to look around for your average phone charger type of item. Those are usually 12v or 15v setups. If I cut off the charger part that connects to the phone, and inside is simply 2 wires... red and black, then I'm in business!

Also right now I'm downloading a couple PCB freeware programs. To design the PCB board that'll be needed to solder everything to. Actually found a place that you can send a design to and they'll make it. www.expresspcb.com How much it costs... not sure. But if they have some for 3" boards, 3 for 50 bucks. I am going to hope that my 10" board won't be too expensive.

Overall it seems I will probably end up spending somewhere in the $100 ballpark for everything. Sure beats $3000 on ebay!

*edit*
Grabbed a phone charger I saw lying around, being lazy. Stats on it state...

Quote:
Class 2 Power Supply

Input: 120VAC 60Hz 8W
Output: 12VAC 200mA

Last edited by Meph; 02-27-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Want some cheap advice? Use LED's in series. Avoid having to use resistors, they're power hogs.

Find out the voltage required to power each LED. Then, using your power supply(as long as it supplys low voltage DC in enough Ampege, anything from Wall Warts, to Radio Shack multiamp jobs will do) voltage, divide one by the other. This will tell you the number of LED's to put in series(remember to ROUND UP!). Break down all total number of LED's into "banks" that are in Parallel to each other, but all the ones in an individual bank are in series. If you get a bank that doesn't have enough LED's(and you probably will), add an appropriate resistor to that bank ONLY.

HTRN
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to respiegel Send a message via Yahoo to respiegel

yes banks of series LEDs are the way to go for sure.
a cell charger isn't going to be a very good solution due to the low current, remember you can always use less current than what it can provide, just not more
i really don't think you're going to find a better deal than a $9 12V 2A plug in PS...
i wouldn't go all out and have PCBs made, thats alot of time and cost you don't need, just get some perf board from radio shack and wire it together with some 22gauge wire, its easy fast and cheap
respiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NoZebra

I do believe that those light boards blink. The lil chip there looks like a 555 timer IC. just throwing in my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Meph, I found this that might come in handy: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

Note, I also remembered most computer power supplies (if you have an old junker sitting around) supply 12 volts AND 5 volts. You might just be able to use the 5 volt side to drive your led's.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Sorry this took so long. If you want to run from the straight 110VAC then you might want to look at this as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_rectifier
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

You want to make this AC powered? At EMR? Hell, I tripped our breaker with a coffee maker, so good luck! Then again, the SCP bunk probably isn't sharing a circuit with two other houses, one of them being Boneheads, so you might be fine.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

What you should do is go get some of those LED Christmas tree lights. Some of them blight, they come in quite a few colors, and they come with their own power supply.

Just drill the sign board in the pattern you want, then plug the lights in from the back...

Catchya on the Flip Side.....

Emerald Wolf -- they should be cheap now...
Emerald Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in