mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Laptop problems

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. 2.8 celeron, 512 ram, xp w/Sp2. I run it plugged into the wall, so it wouldnt be a power supply problem. I also use a cool pad to move some more air thru it.

Problem.

I get a box that comes up and says "ativdg2 stopped functioning properly, save work and restart" then all the graphics goes back to basic size, 640x? I think. Problem seems to crop up when I have an external HD plugged into the USB port, and is worse with 2 external drives plugged into the USB ports. So is this a power supply problem, or a Ram problem. The laptop does use shared memory. It was suggested to me that a powered USB hub might help out, so the externals dont pull power from the laptop. I did a regisrty cleaning and run spybot often. I have Norton AV running also.

Any help or suggestions? I am fairly newbish on troubleshooting computers.

Thanks,
Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This only occurs when you have USB devices attached? Sounds like the laptop has some flavor of built-in ATI video. I'd update the video drivers by going to the ATI web site and downloading and installing the driver set for the video on the laptop. It could be that you're drawing too much power on the bus if this only happens when USB drives are attached.
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrpie-CT View Post
This only occurs when you have USB devices attached? Sounds like the laptop has some flavor of built-in ATI video. I'd update the video drivers by going to the ATI web site and downloading and installing the driver set for the video on the laptop. It could be that you're drawing too much power on the bus if this only happens when USB drives are attached.
I forgot to add that I did reinstall the standard drivers, that didnt help. I will try looking for an updated driver for it.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Also! update the chipset drivers. If it's an Intel based board go to support.intel.com and download the Intel chipset driver installer. It's a comprehensiver installer/updater for all Intel chipsets. Look for updated drivers on the toshiba site as well. This could be a motherboard issue which is problematic for a laptop!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

What is your model #?

Some laptops can NOT power devices such as external HD's on certain ports because there is not enough power being sent to the USB port.

BTY: go to Toshiba's own website to get the drivers for your model. ATI does not support a lot of laptops out there because toshiba makes some "custom" software mods to make it work with the chipsets.

speaking of power, did you make sure your battery was not on Toshiba's recall list?
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Just a note, sometimes the notebook manufacturer doesn't update drivers yet the semi manufacturer might have more up-to-date drivers. Your point about custom driver sets from manufacturers is well taken but I've rarely had an issue with that on XP machines.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to respiegel Send a message via Yahoo to respiegel

if you have an ATI look and see if there are any Omega drivers for them. one thing i hate about ATI is it takes them about three months to get a decent set of drivers released for they're new stuff. i got a marginal performance increase from installing the Omega set on my laptop.
if the USB is drawing too much current you should get a bus overcurrent error if its a fairly new laptop (past two years or so)
do any of your external drives have a wall plug? we had a dell at work that any USB drives that would try to pull power over the USB bus would slow down into USB 1.1 specs... but didn't have that trouble over firewire... so any more details for us?
respiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31c View Post
What is your model #?

Some laptops can NOT power devices such as external HD's on certain ports because there is not enough power being sent to the USB port.

BTY: go to Toshiba's own website to get the drivers for your model. ATI does not support a lot of laptops out there because toshiba makes some "custom" software mods to make it work with the chipsets.

speaking of power, did you make sure your battery was not on Toshiba's recall list?
Model # psa60u02k015
It didnt have a problem before running the external HD for the last 6-7 months. I will look into Toshibas site and see what I can get. I tried ATI, but the drivers it said to load, didnt wanna work or even load into the machine. Haven't checked the battery yet, will do that tonight also. But it runs on an ac adaptor 95% of the time.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by respiegel View Post
if you have an ATI look and see if there are any Omega drivers for them. one thing i hate about ATI is it takes them about three months to get a decent set of drivers released for they're new stuff. i got a marginal performance increase from installing the Omega set on my laptop.
if the USB is drawing too much current you should get a bus overcurrent error if its a fairly new laptop (past two years or so)
do any of your external drives have a wall plug? we had a dell at work that any USB drives that would try to pull power over the USB bus would slow down into USB 1.1 specs... but didn't have that trouble over firewire... so any more details for us?
The drivers it showed on the ATI site was the Catylst set. The External HD has a wall plug, but I dont know if it is just for the light tubes (2 color changing light tubes, 1 on each side. Bought because it was on sale, not for the lights...lol) or if it also powers the HD, I will try and see if it does. It is over 2 years old. Itdoesnt have any firewire ports unfortunatley.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

try this -->
http://www.askiris.toshiba.com/Toshi...%200%202636556

ATI Chipset, Display, and IDE Driver for Windows XP

silly question but are you overclocking your notebook?
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in