mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
firmware needs an immutable tag method for security, possibly using a secondary chip with a redunancy and replacement capability (i have one HP server that has this capacity, it is just not mainstream standard, it's actually my workstation, yes i need quad xenons and sata 300 raid 50).

With truely immutable firmware, motherboards will face frequent replacement to keep up with new hardware.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
One of the MSI motherboards I used at work for some demo servers have that feature (Backup bios chip), Good stuff.

I've got a pile of these: Bios Saviors somewhere if anyone wants to retrofit an old box

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Expansion cards should have thier own firmware (no need for drivers then) once a standard is set (like PCI for example) you should be able to make any hardware that works in ther work.

As for limitations of max RAM or HD, or CPU speed. That is all the engineers fault for putting a ceiling on those values.

I can put pretty much any sized SCSI hard drive into an old mac, and it will see it, and be able to address it. Back then for some reason, PC manufaturers decided to limit thier board to 540MB, or 2 gig for the fancy ones. Why?

Same reason DOS, and any DOS derived stuff can only see 640k of RAM. LAZINESS!!!

They don't wanna add the code for potential figures.

They still don't, and get around it by just adding as they need it.

I for one can't stand haveing to updat my machine every other week. This goes for windows or macs. Why can't we simply have things that work, and work well, and if I want more functionality, then I can update, but this business of all these updates for all these bugfixes and crap indicate sloppy programming and not enough attention to the details.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
(it's actually my workstation, yes i need quad xenons and sata 300 raid 50).
Yeah baby!
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nelson View Post
Expansion cards should have thier own firmware (no need for drivers then) once a standard is set (like PCI for example) you should be able to make any hardware that works in ther work.

As for limitations of max RAM or HD, or CPU speed. That is all the engineers fault for putting a ceiling on those values.

I can put pretty much any sized SCSI hard drive into an old mac, and it will see it, and be able to address it. Back then for some reason, PC manufaturers decided to limit thier board to 540MB, or 2 gig for the fancy ones. Why?

Same reason DOS, and any DOS derived stuff can only see 640k of RAM. LAZINESS!!!

They don't wanna add the code for potential figures.

They still don't, and get around it by just adding as they need it.

I for one can't stand haveing to updat my machine every other week. This goes for windows or macs. Why can't we simply have things that work, and work well, and if I want more functionality, then I can update, but this business of all these updates for all these bugfixes and crap indicate sloppy programming and not enough attention to the details.
640k limits were not DOS based limitations but the 8086 processor's 10 64k memory segments. Operating systems were chained to the hardware, and backwards physical capacity (and therefore more resultant sales) were to be kept in mind. Not every could afford a RISC machine back then.

Other hardware does have firmware in it. It's perhaps possible to consider firmware drivers, but the application would be difficult and rather limiting, with more holistic and therefore proprietary systems required to keep it boh effective, fast and simple.

I agree about updates. I almost never do on my nix boxes, unless it's application/service level secuirty...but I still complile everything myself, if the boot screen says fedora 4, that's only the grub splash screen really, not all the complilations below it, including the kernel, so I only have to patch for code issues or improvements, which you can never stop... Especially in an open source environment.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
640k limits were not DOS based limitations but the 8086 processor's 10 64k memory segments. Operating systems were chained to the hardware, and backwards physical capacity (and therefore more resultant sales) were to be kept in mind. Not every could afford a RISC machine back then.
Quoth Bill Gates in 1981 -

"640K ought to be enough for anybody"

(or so legend has it....)

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in