mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #4921 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Hello all. I know very little about MineCraft and I was hoping you guys could help me out. My Son is very interested in playing. He is 8 and he currently plays the iPod versions of MineCraft. He wants to play online with friends (who he says already play online) and I am a bit concerned about how appropriate the online experience is for an 8 year old. I know the game itself is pretty mild, but I am wondering about fol and inappropriate language and behavior in online servers. Is there any way, other than siting next to my Son while he plays, to get him to play on a age appropriate rated server or something? Are there any parental controls of any kind? Do I just need to find an appropriate server and hope no trolls or predators find it?

What do you guys think?

I am pretty psyched he is showing an interest in the creativity of the game, but I have experience with some of the behavior in online games like TF2, Hawken, etc.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #4922 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure multi in Minecraft can be set to friends only that way you'd only have to keep an eye on who he adds to his friends list. You can also set headset audio to play through the speakers so you can hear what goes on if you are at least in the vicinity.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #4923 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Wow, I'v been out of it for a while.. .They have Headset compatibility now? That is crazy. and friends lists? My word..
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #4924 (permalink)
VCP

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I just jumped on the server and it still appears to be running. It's probably a bit outdated with versions so I'll look at getting that updated.
secretweaponevan ~ "That wasn't in the instructions. Don't try to outsmart physics. Read and follow the instructions."
secretweaponevan ~ "You did great with following the instructions. Just so you know, that puts you in the top 1%."
Notch ~ "* Hoes now produce proper seeds"
ApoC_101 ~ "I don't always use freak inserts, but when I do, I use Ty McNeer brass inserts"

If you are having MCB Minecraft Server issues click HERE ~ ~ ~ Get DropBox and an Extra 250MB
Looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #4925 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Hello all. I know very little about MineCraft and I was hoping you guys could help me out. My Son is very interested in playing. He is 8 and he currently plays the iPod versions of MineCraft. He wants to play online with friends (who he says already play online) and I am a bit concerned about how appropriate the online experience is for an 8 year old. I know the game itself is pretty mild, but I am wondering about fol and inappropriate language and behavior in online servers. Is there any way, other than siting next to my Son while he plays, to get him to play on a age appropriate rated server or something? Are there any parental controls of any kind? Do I just need to find an appropriate server and hope no trolls or predators find it?

What do you guys think?

I am pretty psyched he is showing an interest in the creativity of the game, but I have experience with some of the behavior in online games like TF2, Hawken, etc.
I recently got into minecraft. Some things about Multiplayer (at least on the PC, as I've no experience on consoles):

Two major versions of Minecraft:

"Minecraft" and "Minecraft Server"

Standard edition (paid) allows someone to play single player and share their game world with other players (I believe only on the same local network). You also use this same minecraft to connect to other individual's games and, dedicated servers (over the internet).

Minecraft Server (free) allows someone to setup their own server. These individuals can set the server to be exclusive (via a whitelist) or, open to the public (usually with moderation, i.e. the capability to ban specific I.P. addresses or users). This thread primarily focuses on a dedicated minecraft server administered by one or more folks in this thread.

In my case, I went ahead and built my own linux-based minecraft server, using some old desktop hardware, and Ubuntu Server software. It's open to only one of my good friends, my girlfriend and myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
Wow, I'v been out of it for a while.. .They have Headset compatibility now? That is crazy. and friends lists? My word..

I think you've misunderstood. Minecraft doesn't include a voice chat function. That's provided by third party software.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #4926 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I think you've misunderstood. Minecraft doesn't include a voice chat function. That's provided by third party software.
The way he made it sound implied they had added in a voice component. Usually we used Skype or Xbox live if we wanted to talk to build better.. Man, I think I'm going to get on today, and see about building a nice castle.. Its been ages since I'v played, I'll have to learn all my commands again..
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #4927 (permalink)
MCB Member

is the server up?
518ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #4928 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1 View Post
is the server up?
It seems to be up and down pretty randomly recently, and last I saw it was still at 1.4.5 whereas Minecraft has been at 1.4.7 for a little while now.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #4929 (permalink)
Banned

yeah i can't play it because i upgraded and can't be arsed to downgrade.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #4930 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
It seems to be up and down pretty randomly recently, and last I saw it was still at 1.4.5 whereas Minecraft has been at 1.4.7 for a little while now.
This^,

I have installed the Yogbox and am enjoying it a lot. If you get the chance to try it out do so. Its really neat having actual villages that grow and can trade unique items to you.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in