mcarterbrown.com

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Light Kit

Looking for a 2 to 3 light kit, prefer in the 200ms - 400ms range. Would like at least the heads and stands and prefer air stands. Extras (Umbrella's, soft boxes, bag, etc) are always welcome.

Range is ~$400. I am greatly leaning towards the Calumet Genesis 200 kit.

So, let me know what you guys like and why. I like the Alien bees, but they're a little pricey for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

well this may sound extremely stupid to some folks here and may not be totally helpful

I have been doing photography event and studio for close to 13 years now and I peieced together my lighting setup from the cheapest off name brands I could find I have had no issues with it and get the same results as other photographers using the hi-dollar stuff.

If it helps I shoot 90% kodak tri-x 360iso and 10% digital

Hope this helps some,
Yonu
yonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
What are you going to be shooting?

I got by for 2 years with cheap ebay flashes and modifiers. I moved to Alien Bee's once I started shooting people more and the 3-4 second recharge times were killing me.

That and some Enerloop batteries and you'll be golden.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Mainly still life, but some people. From everything I've read, the Genesis kit is amazing for the price. I've read it has good, consistent power as well as color. I plan on starting with a decent two light kit and adding a third.

Not planning on shooting weddings or even large groups of people.

Basically, I want to know if there's something out there that can compete with the Calumet kit at that price point.

I like Alien Bees, but for now, it's a little more than I want to spend on two lights with stands, etc.

Quote:
Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

Do you really need 2-3 heads? Two three heads suggests that you require a lot of light and a lot of room for a studio. What are you using now?

Before dropping $400 on equipment, I'd highly recommend going to the library and rent a couple books on studio lighting. Your lighting requirements may be better served with one decent head paired up with a large soft box or beauty dish rather than 2-3 cheap heads and umbrellas.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyhoo33 View Post
Do you really need 2-3 heads? Two three heads suggests that you require a lot of light and a lot of room for a studio. What are you using now?

Before dropping $400 on equipment, I'd highly recommend going to the library and rent a couple books on studio lighting. Your lighting requirements may be better served with one decent head paired up with a large soft box or beauty dish rather than 2-3 cheap heads and umbrellas.
That's good advice and I've been reading all I can about lighting. Watching videos, anything I can absorb.

Right now, I use as much natural light as I can with some make shift lights as well.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devil Dog

Send a message via AIM to ballyhoo33 Send a message via MSN to ballyhoo33

After shooting SLRs for 11 years and DLSRs for the past ten years, I finally decided I didn't know what the hell I was doing and started reading instead of shooting whatever was in front of me. My favorite books have been written by Scott Kelby. They are a very easy read and helpful too.

Have you thought about a hot-shoe flash, off-shoe bracket, transmitters, and tripod with hot-shoe mount? They are relateively inexpensive, offers a lot of flexibility, portability, and can be built upon. Movin the flash off the camera provides many more opportunities than having the flash stuck on the camera. The downside is the power source, but batteries are cheap. Just a thought.
ballyhoo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyhoo33 View Post
After shooting SLRs for 11 years and DLSRs for the past ten years, I finally decided I didn't know what the hell I was doing and started reading instead of shooting whatever was in front of me. My favorite books have been written by Scott Kelby. They are a very easy read and helpful too.

Have you thought about a hot-shoe flash, off-shoe bracket, transmitters, and tripod with hot-shoe mount? They are relateively inexpensive, offers a lot of flexibility, portability, and can be built upon. Movin the flash off the camera provides many more opportunities than having the flash stuck on the camera. The downside is the power source, but batteries are cheap. Just a thought.
And it's a good thought. I've thought a lot about this and plan on getting a SB-700 when money permits with a off-shoe bracket as well as a tripod mount hot-shot.

One thing I realized quickly was that my tripod was sub par and that needed to be changed first, so I've got a new one on order as well as a new head.

Now, I'm looking for lighting. As I mentioned, I mainly shoot still life and due to recent developments (not good ones), my studio area is going to be bigger than I thought initially.

I've got a shooting table and I've been looking at some Light Cubes as well. They're relatively inexpensive and a fun thing to play around with.

I truly enjoy playing with light. I'm going to look up that author you mentioned and see what I can find.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in