mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
CCI Pistolier

Progress?

I know a lot of people at the beginning of the year and the few weeks following made some commitments to themselves to get into better shape for various reasons and results.

I am wonder how you boy/girls are doing? Been sticking to the plan?

Regular workouts? Are you dieting? Both?

Post some progress reports. I find it motivational to hear others stories of success.

-Spaz

^^^ Steal this if you want.^^^

feedback

SPC in the US Army Reserve

Lansing, MI
spaz66777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
got back into lifting in december after a 4 year break. lost 35LB, packed on a lot of muscle (measurments are going up in the right places, and down in the right places), and have doubled almost all my lifting weights. muscle memory i guess since its only been a few months.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
oh, and i have some before and after pics ill put up some time

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Smurfs, Gotta Love Them

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I slowed down the past couple weeks but started to pick it back up over the weekend. I need to increase my Cardio I think as my weight loss seems to have plateaued at 195.

Weight's wise i need to get some heavier one i think. I've got some 25 pounders that i do 10 sets of 20 for various arm and chest workouts but don't feel strained at all or even full exerted afterwards.

Proud member of The Peacekeepers & UMSG JTF7
KoolKat's Feedback
KoolKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
CCI Pistolier

Nice I just started using looseit.com my friend told me about it today and it tracks food as well as rough estimates for various activities pushups, running, rowing, ect...I don't know how well it will work but it seems like a decent start. I have been on this kick for around 6 weeks and have lost 2.5% of my body fat and 8 lbs. all my workouts are either staying the same or increasing. I wont know how well it working for sure for a few more weeks/months. Once I reach my body fat % goals I will try packing on more muscle.

-Spaz

feedback

Lansing, MI

Last edited by spaz66777; 03-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
losing weight is mostly in your eating habits. notice i didnt say diets. its a lifestyle change not a temporary fix. lift weights, cardio, and eat RIGHT and you will lose lots of weight.

You lose 15-20 easily when you start. this is usually water weight. after that you will feel like you plataue because it suddenly slows down. your goal should be 1-3 pounds per week. that is a good weight loss rate.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Smurfs, Gotta Love Them

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
losing weight is mostly in your eating habits. notice i didnt say diets. its a lifestyle change not a temporary fix. lift weights, cardio, and eat RIGHT and you will lose lots of weight.

You lose 15-20 easily when you start. this is usually water weight. after that you will feel like you plataue because it suddenly slows down. your goal should be 1-3 pounds per week. that is a good weight loss rate.
I'm still eating pretty well. My intake is around 1500 calories a day and very little fat or carbs. (wife is on WW so i get to eat healthy by association)

My weight loss was really slow at first. 4-5 pounds each the first and second month and 3rd month was almost 20 (was great seeing the weight come off so fast that month). 10 pounds total the past 2 months again.

Proud member of The Peacekeepers & UMSG JTF7
KoolKat's Feedback
KoolKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
CCI Pistolier

I have been right on 1 lbs/week for 6 weeks. So mid May early June (beach time) I should reach my target. I have been changing my eating habits a lot. It has been more of a diet (1800 cal/day). I want to reach my goal then begin to increase my diet to gain mass. A slow healthy lean increase. I'm not even sure what my loan term goal weight is maybe a lean 160-165lbs. I'm not concerned about being a huge muscle guy. Just fit and functional I have to be able to move human bodies as I am a medic. My next PT test is the beginning of May.

-Spaz

feedback

Lansing, MI

Last edited by spaz66777; 03-16-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
You know the music...

KoolKat - You don't need to get all crazy springing up to heavier weights right away, just increase your total weight lifted per workout. Add reps, and blast them out as fast as you possibly can.

Also, make sure that you are not doing the same lifts on every workout. Check menshealth.com or go to the Barnes and Noble and look through some lifting books. Buy one that has some lifts in it you're not currently using and switch it up. Just changing the way you lift will stress your body in a different way and keep you progressing.

If you've been doing bench press, do incline press. If you've been doing incline press, do decline press. If you've been doing classic curls, do hammer curls. Replace your squats with lunges for a while. All of these can be found on the internet and a very mild amount of google-fu.

Also, keep in mind that it is almost impossible to build muscle and lose fat simultaneously after you're over the initial stress of starting a workout plan. It takes a calorie surplus to build muscle, and a calorie deficit to lose fat.

If you're trying to lose weight, here's the theory: Eat at a caloric deficit to force your body to burn fat. You train resistance during this time so your body doesn't consume muscle while you're on a calorie deficit. Always remember that muscle is the body's most readily available and easily broken down source of additional energy. If your body is not using the muscle, it'll be broken down for energy while the fat continues to be stored. Don't worry about building muscle until after you've lost the fat you want to lose.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
CCI Pistolier

Helmi: That is also my understanding. This is the principle I am trying to apply. I think I am keeping my current muscle because the reps and weight is staying the same or increasing.

Everyone: thanks for the advice and encouragement. I like this kind of support and knowledge sharing. Makes it easier and fun.

-Spaz

feedback

Lansing, MI

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in