mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingYerMail View Post
I don't think BMI is a good way to go. It compares your height and your weight, and muscle weighs more than fat, so a short but very muscular person could show up as obese.
There are methods of actually measuring BMI that measure it. While not perfectly accurate they are not as simple as height / weight comparisons. Some scales use an electric pulse of some type to do it. Further there are methods that involve measurements that are reasonably accurate and are used by professionals. When I say measure BMI rather than weight I do not mean to use the simple height / weight scales that are the roughest form of measurement - frankly I did not think anyone even used those for BMI anymore.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Well, like I said I've never been a twiggy person. I've always been rather heavy built even though I've not always had fat on me. My concern is that I've got man boobehs and a belly that flabs...yet there is still muscle somewhere
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Your only 16, if you eat normally and stay away from all the junk, DONT't drink POP or JUICE, stay somewhat active...you shouldn't have an issue.

6' and 210lbs does not seem that bad to me. In that pic you look half my size... You may just look that much bigger next to all your friends, but wait a few years when they start to fill out.

I am 6'1" and currently 230 (and dropping!) my goal is 215lbs...I started at 260...

remember that weight is not the best way to measure health. I know plenty of skinny people who are NOT fit. I know plenty of big guys who (aside from being overweight) are fit...
That sounds almost exactly like me, started at 260 and now im down to about 233, ive noticed the more i drop, the more stable my weight stays, normally it would fluctuate from like 255 to 265, and thats just within a few days of eachother.

Best thing i found is dont complicate the diet. for some reason one day i was just randomly eating a salad and said to myself "self, im going on a diet starting now" and i dunno if it was just the timing or what, but ive stuck to it very well, its been about 5 weeks now and im down about 30 pounds and still going, goal is mid 210s or even more or less if i think i need it. Diet consists of oatmeal for breakfast or something similar, around 300 to 400 calories, lunch about the same range and supper about the same range, usually for lunch and supper i eat a salad with a bit of chicken or fish or any kind of meat thats not too greasy and it seems to work (lately ive been having a huge urge for imitation crab for some reason lol), oh and also water only, mabey a diet drink here and there. Ive found those tv dinner things that are around 300 calories are a good quick change from salad all the time, and they're usually barely more than 2 bucks each

Quote:
Well, like I said I've never been a twiggy person. I've always been rather heavy built even though I've not always had fat on me. My concern is that I've got man boobehs and a belly that flabs...yet there is still muscle somewhere
Its nice now to poke at my side or belly or chest and not feel flab anymore but something nice and hard underneath, no innuedo intended

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.

Last edited by JLuke; 04-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

OK...so I'm eating healthy...what now? I mean my weight is bouncing around like a rubber ball. Like I'll weigh myself Tuesday and I'll be 205. Then the next day 215, then 210. Either way, I'm pudgy. What's the best way to get fat off? I'm fine with being a big guy, just not with being large from fat.

My BMI is like 29%
Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Step one: stop with the scale. You can vary by like 10% in water weight. If you are going to use a scale use it consistantly (same time, same clothing, same day, etc). Weigh yourself once a week - maybe twice. Be aware you may actually gain weight at first as your muscle builds, and that muscle, in turn (with right diet) will burn fat.

Eating right is the key. What few people will tell you is it takes ROUGHLY running 30 miles to actually burn 1lb of fat. Get the diet right things will follow, however they will take time. Losing more than a lb or two a week is considered unhealthy. The diet that you can follow to do it, long term, can cause gall bladder issues (trust me on this, I did it). Take things gradually on major changes as your body may not like them.

Find an activity you love that you can do on a regular basis (2-3 days a week) be it weight lifting, running, or whatever. Do this because you enjoy it and it will help the BMI issue. Your BMI is high - understand most machines that are at home machines are not 100% accurate but they give you baseline readings to go off.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Dude, if I drink a lot of fluids and don't take a **** my weight can be +/- 10 lbs. Time of day is also important.

Do cardio (I like running), weight training, core workouts, and maybe try a martial art?

3500 calories burned is a pound. If you can burn 3500 with exercise and cut back 500 cal a day would will lose 2 lbs a week (generally).
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

OK...new problem is finding ways to burn that. I can't afford a gym membership, let alone get there. I don't have any weights...I'm broke. I guess I could run. Finding time is just hard. Honestly by the time I get school work done I'm ready for sleep.

I would love to play a sport, but I'm a homeschooled student. I really don't know what I'd do for that. I'm not trying to make excuses...I'm just not sure what to do to actually burn fat and then keep it off. I was down to about 190 last summer, but it crept back on over the winter and I didn't really change anything.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Do self-weight workouts like pullups, pushups, dips, etc. Run outside. Do core workouts (you really only need a floor for that).
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

A swiss ball is a really could investment. You don't need anything else for your core besides a swiss ball... floor works, but the ball is much more effective. If you're using the floor try planks, those are good and there are several varieties.

Just run outside. When you're 15, you have all the time in the world to do random crap. I'm 20 and in college and I still find time to work out everyday and do other constructive stuff. But, I don't have a job (so no paintball).

The more you work out, the MORE energy you will have throughout the day and it will be easier to go to sleep.

Also another good investment is a bike. Whether you want cardio, muscle tone or a six pack, the answer is a bike and a couple miles a day/every other day.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Acquire a cheap bike, raise the rear end so the wheel doesn't touch (allowed to free-spin), secure the front, instant "bike machine" without spending $500.

Or just get a pair of shoes and start walking. Break in the muscles and body to accept the workout procedure and schedule. After about 2 weeks you can start with a light jog, then another 2 and hit up a regular jog. If it's a bit tiresome you can do 1 minute walk 1 minute jog, back and forth. Eventually you'll build up muscle endurance.

As far as goals, don't set up a goalpost all the way across the field. Go 10 yards at a time. Once you reach that, move the posts further out. Start with losing 5 pounds. Then move that to losing 10 pounds. Then move that to making a mile jog/run under a certain amount of time (example, 8 minutes). Then move that to prolonged jogging up to a certain amount of time (example, 1 hour). Make incremental goals. People tend to have champagne dreams with a beer budget so to speak. They want to be the next [insert celebrity with a great bod here], but those celebs didn't just happen to be that way it's from years or decades of work. So people set massive goals, 2 weeks in they aren't anywhere close to their results, and they give up thinking it's futile. Make your goals easily achievable with even just modest work, and then build on that foundation.

For starters, easy goal... diet. Cut out soda and fast food. Everybody says that for a reason. They're evil. Once every other week though give in if you want or you'll possibly crazy and start binging. Weight issues for people really isn't so much of an exercise problem, it's a dietary one. Exercising makes you healthier, stronger, more fit. Push ups simply make you better at doing push ups. But 2 hours jogging is the same as not eating a Snickers. Or not pounding a Liter of Cola. All of that work burning those calories can be decimated by 30 seconds with a candy bar.

And with the diet, don't starve yourself. People go from binging on food to starvation thinking it'll help. It won't. Your body will go into survival mode and actually start cannibalizing itself, eating away at your muscle tissues and so forth. Not just the fat cells. Ballpark range for the average man burning calories is around 2000 a day. That's not taking into account exercising or anything. Simply existing you burn 2000 calories a day. If you eat 1800 calories a day, that means you burn 200 a day. 1400 a week. 6200 a month. A single pound of body fat equates to approximately 3500 calories. So almost 2 pounds.

That's merely changing diet slightly, almost no effort really required. It's very easy to have an 1800 cal/day diet and not cut out good foods or become a rabbit eating just greeneries. Add in a moderate amount of exercise, just an hours worth even. A half hour jog and a half hour weight lifting. You'll get another 200 calories easy. So that's about 4 pounds a month with minimal effort and staying in a very healthy lifestyle. Up to you to determine if you can bring it down to 1700 cal/day and up to 350 cal/day workout, or what have you.

But if you start with the 10 yard line, 5 pounds in a single month, you can make that goal. From there determine how much further and harder you want to take it.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in